Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nag reduced with 2017.46

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you really never had a close call with AP1?

I’ve had AP1 follow the wrong fork in a construction zone directly toward a ROAD CLOSED sign blocking the whole lane. I’ve had lanes shift in construction zones and at the very last second it decides to ignore the lane lines and drive directly towards another car.

Needing to keep a close eye on the system and a hand on the wheel to take action at a split second applies to both versions of Autopilot. Believing this doesn’t apply to your AP is asking for trouble

Not after understanding what it's capabilities are. People mistake it doing something unexpected when you push it past it's capabilities for a design fault, when there was no design there in the first place. I do not expect it to do such things. Given that modulation, AP1 (by which I really mean MobileEye EyeQ3) does it's job _exceptionally_ well. The kind of road and lane marking conditions where it detects a viable path while simultaneously correctly tracking the type and position of multiple objects is still amazing, and AP2 still seems to quite frankly blow in comparison - they've gotten it to the point where it can track lanes *sometimes*, with scary and common edge failures.

The whole community's ideas of how advanced Tesla's in-house vision system is needs to be further downregulated even from where it is today.