Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mytesla page updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The my tesla page has been updated with a side view of the Model 3 in a nice shade of blue

diFfkje.jpg
Congrats, Mike! She's a beauty!

Reactions: sunrocket
Well, the car does the "check" part on Model S, and will more then likely do it on the Model 3 also. So the only thing missing is that the car correct it automatically if needed ;) ... or maybe that is what it does?

Every new car of course has a tire pressure monitoring system, that is not the point.
The point is that these systems cannot detect the slow constant pressure loss that occurs within every tire.
Which is why - at least over here - you are strongly advised to check the pressure of your tires at least once every month, depending on the distances you drive, and repressure to the highest level as indicated in the manual. This helps to a) minimize tire wear and b) maximize fuel efficiency. Just because an EV doesn't use gas or diesel doesn't mean it doesn't want to run efficiently.
Over here most people check their tires accordingly. Thus the need for an easily accessible valve.

Every new car of course has a tire pressure monitoring system, that is not the point.
The point is that these systems cannot detect the slow constant pressure loss that occurs within every tire.
Which is why - at least over here - you are strongly advised to check the pressure of your tires at least once every month, depending on the distances you drive, and repressure to the highest level as indicated in the manual. This helps to a) minimize tire wear and b) maximize fuel efficiency. Just because an EV doesn't use gas or diesel doesn't mean it doesn't want to run efficiently.
Over here most people check their tires accordingly. Thus the need for an easily accessible valve.

My prius has a broken sensor on one of the tires so it always says low tire pressure :( I am paranoid and now visually inspect my tires at least once a day.

I know, but you missed the point in my post (or I explained it poorly). It will have a tire pressure monitoring system. And as you can see, in the latest FW on Model S you may not only get a "low pressure" waring, but may read the pressure in the car. So pair this with a system to fill up the tire if it gets low is "all" that is missing :)

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/Goodyear-to-Begin-Fleet-Testing-of-Air-Maintenance-Technology-for-Commercial-Vehicles-1426100313982.html

I know, but you missed the point in my post (or I explained it poorly). It will have a tire pressure monitoring system. And as you can see, in the latest FW on Model S you may not only get a "low pressure" waring, but may read the pressure in the car. So pair this with a system to fill up the tire if it gets low is "all" that is missing :)
https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-U...gy-for-Commercial-Vehicles-1426100313982.html
Goodyear to Begin Fleet Testing of Air Maintenance Technology for Commercial Vehicles

Maybe, and that sounds like a cool system, but as I understood the article that technology is still in the experimental phase and even after that is only meant for commercial vehicles like trucks, buses etc.?

Maybe, and that sounds like a cool system, but as I understood the article that technology is still in the experimental phase and even after that is only meant for commercial vehicles like trucks, buses etc.?

That is just one system, there is others, and this system has been in the experimental phase for some years now. Maybe it is ready for commercialization by now? And while it maybe are developed for commercial vehicles or the military I do not see any reasons why it can not also work on a "normal" car. Except maybe for the price ;)

self-inflating-tire-9.gif

How Self-inflating Tires Work

It is of course a great thing.. but i've not found an evidence of this being made public, so until then, we could think this will not be standard, maybe a premium tire if it's made public when the model 3 is released? but then, if it's made public everyone can buy one, it's not a model3 thing

It is of course a great thing.. but i've not found an evidence of this being made public, so until then, we could think this will not be standard, maybe a premium tire if it's made public when the model 3 is released? but then, if it's made public everyone can buy one, it's not a model3 thing
but wouldn't that be part of the wheel, and not the tire? If so, then it very well could be Tesla only.

Well... i may be wrong, but no.. this should be IN the tire since it should pump the air from the outside of the tire to the inside of the tire, else you'll have to have some valve in the axale and in the wheel like in trucks.
But as said, i could be wrong, i've intended so from the video i saw, but then, i'm not a native english speaker so at time i can be confused

I'm sure there is a valve stem somewhere, we just can't see it. Remember, the 3 is supposed to be mass-market and affordable. All the new technologies and such would be foolish to implement for many reasons such as cost and complexities. I am quite sure they are learning their lessons from the X about putting too much new stuff in at once.

="Zaphod, post: 1582288, member: 41529"]I'm sure there is a valve stem somewhere, we just can't see it. Remember, the 3 is supposed to be mass-market and affordable. All the new technologies and such would be foolish to implement for many reasons such as cost and complexities. I am quite sure they are learning their lessons from the X about putting too much new stuff in at once.
It wouldn't be difficult or add complexity if they put the valve stem in the center hub of the wheel and hid it under the cap.

It wouldn't be difficult or add complexity if they put the valve stem in the center hub of the wheel and hid it under the cap.
If I'm understanding you correctly, it would actually add a great deal of complexity and you'd have to change the way tires are manufactured. Also having to take the cap off to check the air pressure would tick quite a few people off.

• Funny
Reactions: phigment
If I'm understanding you correctly, it would actually add a great deal of complexity and you'd have to change the way tires are manufactured. Also having to take the cap off to check the air pressure would tick quite a few people off.
I don't see why that would have any effect on the way tire is manufactured. A tire doesn't care where there air is coming from as long as it's between beads (into the cavity of the tire).

Your point about the cap is valid though. Would be a pain and already make something people rarely do, even less likely to check tire pressures if they have to remove a cap, regardless if it is easy to remove.

Also having to cast or machine an air passage for a valve in the hub area will be more complicated and costly compared to a conventional wheel.

Reactions: Microfrost
Your point about the cap is valid though. Would be a pain and already make something people rarely do, even less likely to check tire pressures if they have to remove a cap, regardless if it is easy to remove.
??? Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems have been mandatory since 2008. Who needs to check pressure with an uncalibrated gauge?

The only time you will need to remove the cap is when the car tells you that you need to add more air.