Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR wheel/tyre rotation advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all
Just wondered if anyone had anything to comment on tyre rotation for Model Y LR, done just over 5k miles from new and there is a difference of nearly 1mm between front and rear tread depths. The Tesla manual recommends rotating at 1.5mm difference. Anyone done this themselves, or is it a Service item? I would be quite comfortable doing it myself, I have a trolley jack, pucks and torque wrench. Just wondered if there was anything to look out for specifically, and what happens to the TMPS sensors, do they automatically change position on the display?

Hello all
Just wondered if anyone had anything to comment on tyre rotation for Model Y LR, done just over 5k miles from new and there is a difference of nearly 1mm between front and rear tread depths. The Tesla manual recommends rotating at 1.5mm difference. Anyone done this themselves, or is it a Service item? I would be quite comfortable doing it myself, I have a trolley jack, pucks and torque wrench. Just wondered if there was anything to look out for specifically, and what happens to the TMPS sensors, do they automatically change position on the display?
No problem DIY if you'v got the necessary kit. TPMS can be reset if it doesn't do it automatically after a short drive.

Just bumping this thread, as the newest 2023 updates are bringing an increased focus on doing a tyre rotation at 6250 miles with some reminders.
In the UK, most chains like Halfords & kwickfit are not recommending doing a tyre rotation (despite the easy quid they could be making).
So I guess the question is : who does it regularly? Who thinks it’s useless and you are better off replacing just a pair of tyres when they wear out rather than extending all 4 at once?

Tesla traction control is particularly sensitive to tread differences between tyres, especially between front and rear.

After putting new tyres on the back, with older 3mm ones on the front, and experiencing problems - I now rotate them as per the recommendations and have no issues.

Americans ...

"Americans" like "Australians" drive with summer tires all year around (Australians because its not worth it just for nighttime temperatures and dry season in winter means even when its -3C at night the road is nice and dry and Americans because they dont care about road safety). If you are in europe you get a free tire rotation every 6 months anyway with changing tires whereas here you kinda drive around with the same tire orientation for 2-4 years so you do need to rotate them due to uneven wear every 20k kms or so....

If you are in europe you get a free tire rotation every 6 months anyway with changing tires whereas here you kinda drive around with the same tire orientation for 2-4 years so you do need to rotate them due to uneven wear every 20k kms or so....
Great generalisation that doesn’t hold true especially here in UK where seasonal tyre swap is very uncommon. Cross climate tyres becoming more common here and for good reason. But that won’t give you your tyre rotation either. Hence tyre rotation very uncommon here and no harm done and often just helps spread the cost of tyre replacement.

Great generalisation that doesn’t hold true especially here in UK where seasonal tyre swap is very uncommon. Cross climate tyres becoming more common here and for good reason. But that won’t give you your tyre rotation either. Hence tyre rotation very uncommon here and no harm done and often just helps spread the cost of tyre replacement.

i know, i used to live in the uk and some people drive with summer tires all year round. i can understand that - i lived in truro and it can actually be somewhat unsafe to drive wintertires in autum/spring there due to it being too warm....

Also with low horsepowered cars there tends to be (imho) less tire wear.

"Americans" like "Australians" drive with summer tires all year around (Australians because its not worth it just for nighttime temperatures and dry season in winter means even when its -3C at night the road is nice and dry and Americans because they dont care about road safety). If you are in europe you get a free tire rotation every 6 months anyway with changing tires whereas here you kinda drive around with the same tire orientation for 2-4 years so you do need to rotate them due to uneven wear every 20k kms or so....

Swapping tyres is also unusual in the UK. A very small percentage run winter tyres*. Rotating tyre positions is also unusual. Unless something has changed recently most people in the UK buy a new pair of tyres when they need to be replaced. It's less than ideal but that's how most people operate here. It's primarily for reasons of avoiding a big bill all at once. I'm sure you are correct for some other European countries because they legally need to be on a cold weather spec tyre in winter so can take the chance of rotating if necessary.
*For the past 4 winters I have been running winter tyres on my SR+.

Swapping tyres is also unusual in the UK. A very small percentage run winter tyres*. Rotating tyre positions is also unusual. Unless something has changed recently most people in the UK buy a new pair of tyres when they need to be replaced. It's less than ideal but that's how most people operate here. It's primarily for reasons of avoiding a big bill all at once. I'm sure you are correct for some other European countries because they legally need to be on a cold weather spec tyre in winter so can take the chance of rotating if necessary.
*For the past 4 winters I have been running winter tyres on my SR+.

uff.... I once did a delayed trip from the uk to germany in my (german) car and drove on winter tires in late april or May. It was quite warm and driving on winter tires wasnt fun. like driving with soft rubber for wheels. Cant imagine that you drive with winter tires all year round - unless they are all seasons?

I mean you can get by without a rotation. When I had Pilot Sports on my Model 3 I didnt do a rotation coz they only lasts like 25-30k kms before they are down to 3mm.
Now I have Primacy 4s and they are after 30k kms down to like 4.5mm front and 3.5mm or smth in the rear. So you could almost argue that a tire rotation really isnt necessary given that in the next 15-20k kms theyll probably need replacing too. And while a tire rotation is desireable at 1mm its not even advised by tesla until 1.5mm....

That said in Australia tire rotation is usually included free of charge when you buy 4 new tires so why not....

I think most people drive on the tyres that came with the car throughout the year. As @MrBadger says seasonal swaps are very uncommon.

are you telling me you drive with summer tires in scotland in winter?
I always though the UK had this bizarre exemption from winter tires largely due to Cornwall/Devon/Kent/Sussex being too warm in winter to justify winter tires and in North UK everyone mounts winter tires?

are you telling me you drive with summer tires in scotland in winter?
I always though the UK had this bizarre exemption from winter tires largely due to Cornwall/Devon/Kent/Sussex being too warm in winter to justify winter tires and in North UK everyone mounts winter tires?

Few people in Scotland change to winter tyres. In fact in the UK it is only in fairly recent times that the concept of "summer tyres" has existed ... we used to have available to buy "normal" tyres and winter tyres (usually called "mud and snow" in those days, and not really so suitable for general driving unlike modern winter tyres). We regarded our normal tyres as suitable for use all year round. Of course in recent years we have a wider choice so we have to distinguish between our "normal" tyres and actual "all season" tyres... so we started calling our normal tyres "summer tyres".

Reactions: MrBadger and init6
Not what I meant ... I should have been clearer ... most people in UK (including Scotland) drive on "summer" tyres all year round. Those who do choose to use winter tyres do swap summer/winter but those people are a small percentage here.
This.

Don’t forget, even in Scotland, most people live in the low lying areas which don’t get that cold in winter let alone regular snow and ice.

Where I live it’s not uncommon at all to get day time temperatures above 10C in Jan/Feb.