Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Very Detailed CPO Buying Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CPO cars are being processed daily...all over the country.....a lot are 2 an 3 year lease that are ending, many fleet vehicles too....hence the Manheim Processing facility....you'll never know when they come online until they actually do, that's why most ppl use a search engine when finding a CPO, they show up online anytime of the day....I lost 5 before I nabbed mine....3 weren't even online for 24 hours....its tough if you have very specific specs that you want, like I did, so buying a CPO is an experience in itself. Best of luck!
How long until you think I'll get the car? I'm in TX and the car is in CA. I've completed my 6 steps, just want this guy before xmas.

How long until you think I'll get the car? I'm in TX and the car is in CA. I've completed my 6 steps, just want this guy before xmas.
You should have it by then....I wish I was offered delivery....I drove from FL to NY and back to get mine... but they move them quick....like I said, keep calling the main customer service line, and just keep asking where it is.....I've had to be the squeaky wheel quite a bit lately just to get temp tags....REISSUED....I'm now a week shy of 2 months and still no title and on my 2nd set of temp plates....hope your paperwork process goes smoother than mine.

You should have it by then....I wish I was offered delivery....I drove from FL to NY and back to get mine... but they move them quick....like I said, keep calling the main customer service line, and just keep asking where it is.....I've had to be the squeaky wheel quite a bit lately just to get temp tags....REISSUED....I'm now a week shy of 2 months and still no title and on my 2nd set of temp plates....hope your paperwork process goes smoother than mine.
You weren't even offered the $2k delivery?

You weren't even offered the $2k delivery?
Nope, clicked the $2500 order button on a Wednesday....was driving it back home the following Thursday.... its possible that it wasn't an option as the car wasn't ever in Tesla's hands until the day before I picked it up.....in fact, the Manheim facility was 52 miles away from the Mt Kisco SC....when I picked up the car, I noticed the mileage was different, did the math, 52 miles....they went and got it from the Manheim facility and drove it to the SC for me to then pick up. So they had no way to offer me delivery I guess.

Reactions: bigbear
Seems like the CPO process has gone downhill a bit lately, what with poor communication and no pre-purchase inspection/repairs (beyond the very basic "70 point" inspection that any Jiffy Lube does).

Which begs the question....is it still worth buying used through Tesla, or are other venues just as good now?

Side question, is the price listed on the website inclusive of any fees, other than tax and transport?

Seems like the CPO process has gone downhill a bit lately, what with poor communication and no pre-purchase inspection/repairs (beyond the very basic "70 point" inspection that any Jiffy Lube does).

Which begs the question....is it still worth buying used through Tesla, or are other venues just as good now?

Side question, is the price listed on the website inclusive of any fees, other than tax and transport?

I'm looking at buying through Tesla for the 4yr/50k warranty which isn't available for private sales (afaik).

Price is NOT inclusive of fees, doc, title, tax, ect...my list was 44.8k and final was 48.2k....so plan on about 4-5k extra....more if your state has high tax rate....I'm at 6.5% here in FL...so tax alone $2900....

Price is NOT inclusive of fees, doc, title, tax, ect...my list was 44.8k and final was 48.2k....so plan on about 4-5k extra....more if your state has high tax rate....I'm at 6.5% here in FL...so tax alone $2900....
Just looked at my MVR....price listed + $549 in fees + tax (at whatever your state rate is, I paid $2712)....so not really much in fees, $500 of that was title xfer ect....

Just looked at my MVR....price listed + $549 in fees + tax (at whatever your state rate is, I paid $2712)....so not really much in fees, $500 of that was title xfer ect....

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think I paid more in fees from a Chevy dealer a few years ago when I bought a Tahoe.

The thing that bothers me the most about the CPO process is their unwillingness to show you the car before you buy. I could buy an old Camry sight unseen based on a few pictures, but a $70k P90D? No way. And the pictures they share with you when you request online seem like they were taken with a rotten potato.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think I paid more in fees from a Chevy dealer a few years ago when I bought a Tahoe.

The thing that bothers me the most about the CPO process is their unwillingness to show you the car before you buy. I could buy an old Camry sight unseen based on a few pictures, but a $70k P90D? No way. And the pictures they share with you when you request online seem like they were taken with a rotten potato.
Agreed, pics are few...what also sucks is your Tesla buying experience also depends on what rep your dealing with....I had ones that blatantly neglected me and ignored me while others bent over backwards for me and I appreciated them... unfortunately, the latter was NOT the norm.

Only offering what I was told by one of the reps in Colorado...but I'm not surprised the info was wrong, I got a lot of misinformation along the way from reps...including my "orientation" rep who knew the absolute basics about the car, nothing more.
Including the mass amount of bs I've heard while dealing with Tesla and getting my title....still waiting, day 64...bout to expire on my 2nd set of temps....no end in sight.

my CPO rep said flat commission.

Tesla CPO and Inventory Search down?
My original post is in regards to online purchase... no rep needed to buy online even if I did it inside a Tesla center on their computer so no rep inside the Tesla store would receive credit/commission for my online CPO purchase... I am aware they have incentive/bonus programs...

yeah, been down for awhile... I used it a lot and ended up buying my CPO from the search I had set up.... great site, hope he gets it going soon.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh