Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Plasti Dip experiment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you dip the entire door handle or just the front? How do they look when they're extended?

I dipped just a front. When the handles extend you can see a bit of an overspray that gets thinner gradually and then merges with chrome at the base. Not a huge deal for me, but one may choose to peel them off or perhaps extend them and apply a couple of coats inside.

@Wolfpet - the founder of that playlist/DipYourCar.com is also on these forums. He owns a Model S as well!

I watched his videos about 2 years ago and dipped my girlfriend's Scion TC in white with 3 gallons of dip. I didn't do a great job at it, but it was bearable and offered an easy way to turn her silver car white. We had tried vinyl prior to that, but the matte white vinyl stained easily and were permanent. I am curious to see how the black dip looks in the sun, because the ones I've seen all looked kinda dirty and ghetto (usually Scion xB's) like an unpainted car.

May 2015 upgrades: vinyl hood and headlights, some dip refresh.

Viny_L_Plastidip.jpg

It looks great! My only concern is that they don't recommend car washes other than hand wash. Though I only use touchless for car washes, the jets are quite powerful. I know car washes are not good for the Tesla - but I definitely don't have the time to wash it myself by hand (or in Winter it is too cold).

So you've had it for almost a year now, how did it hold up? How bad did it look before you "refreshed" it? How easy is it to take off the overspray?

It has been holding up really well overall. It has received some damage from chips and salt on the front bumper and the nose cone. If not plastidip they would definitely damage the paint. This stuff is really durable. So I peeled the front and put 4 brand new coats on it as well as sprayed one extra coat throughout, but this wasn't really necessary. I also peeled and wrapped the hood with vinyl because I couldn't dip it smooth and even enough on such a wide surface. The whole project was under $150.

The VViViD red "carbon fiber" film turned out to be a complete crap. After 3 summer months my red-wrapped handles turned light pink. Seems like this wrap couldn't handle even our modest UV exposure. Today I redone them with some red chrome wrap. This one should be more UV-resistant.

red_handles.jpg