Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dipped my rims in Anthracite Grey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20220802_074431.jpg

20220802_143330.jpg

20220803_155440.jpg

20220803_155440.jpg

I've done Plasti Dip before, but this time decided to go with Hyperdip in the Anthracite Grey color.

I like these classic OEM rims but don't like the OEM color. My rims were also curbed in many places.

Hyperdip completely repaired all the curb rash and leveled the surface, you can no longer see any damage.

Unlike Plasti Dip (even with Glossifier), Hyperdip is a more paint like satin finish, which I like. Also, Hyperdip is way more watery and therefore levels better so it completely hides any damage you may have.

Overall it took about 5 hours for prep, spraying and lots of waiting in between coats. Make sure to grab enough beers beforehand as I ran out quick during the waiting.

Key is to make sure the rims are clean. I left mine on the car. Put two very thin tack coats then do a bunch of wet coats. I probably did 12-13 wet coats total. DYC includes 5 cans in their kit. I used all except I left half a can for later touch up just in case.

If you have a bit of overspray on the car/tire, you can use paint thinner on a microfiber towel to easily remove.

Overall I am happy with the look and the price (around $120). I expect it to hold up well, and I do use automatic car washes, so time will tell.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.