Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Model S by Soflauthor (First 24 Hours and then 1 week later...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That actually may be more tough than you think. It appears the S is using raster tiles from Google Maps, meaning they're just image files and therefore fixed in orientation. Rotating a raster of this type would look pretty muddy, so that's why they don't just implement that.

Google has available vector maps, which would be ideal to use for a variety of reasons (including orientation changes), but are complex to implement. It's been stated that they aren't running stock Android with a custom skin, but something else on top of Linux. So, the components for vector rendering may not be there yet. I think we'll have to wait a while for that to be implemented.

The Maps app on the iPhone (pre-iOS 6) was using raster tiles, and it rotated very freely and nicely. I don't see why Tesla couldn't do the same given that they have a GPU in the car. I think they've heard the request so often at this point that somebody is bound to be working on it already.

Yea, all the text would be at the odd angle, compared to north.
My 6+ year old Garmin Nuvi has no problem w/ this and it has a tiny fraction of the graphical horsepower of a Model S. Maybe they make it such that you can't be in Satellite or hybrid mode when using heading-up mode, only map view. That would solve the tiling problem. Or just give you access to the Garmin/Navigon interface for those w/ the tech package. I'm fine w/ the map view in my Garmin and it does heading-up just fine.

Soflauthor, do you have a photo with your counsel protype in situ?

No, you'll have to visit and see it in person :)

Seriously, I want to wait until a fully fabricated alpha prototype is completed so that you'll get a good feel for the final product. At that time, I'll post a bunch of photos in situ.

I have posted a number of photos of early prototypes (e.g., here. They should give you a good feel for the overall form factor, which hasn't changed very much. But also note that the deck details (e.g., closed storage configuration, cup holders, phone caddie) have changed considerably.

In that regard, the following are two pics (I don't think I've posted these) of a 6 week-old advanced proof of concept that I placed in a test drive car (a P85, in this case) in Dania. It is NOT the alpha so please disregard the fit/finish/materials. They, however, provide a more recent view of overall placement in the channels, the CCI height, and the deck form factor when viewed from the driver's seat.

IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg

Love the pics! One question - the picture of the Model S on the open trailer: was that how it was delivered from Tesla? I always imagined that it would arrive in the cargo bay of an enclosed semi-tractor trailer...

That was a local delivery from the Dania Tesla store to SoFlaAuthor's house (I'm assuming), which was probably about 25-30 miles, mostly highway. I saw his car getting prepped on Monday at the store, and I presume that Brandon procured the U-Haul trailer just to take it the final mile for delivery. They don't have enclosed trailers yet for the cross-country journey, but are trying to use covers on each car to protect them, with apparently some mixed results. They are able to re-prep everything at the store prior to delivery. There were three other cars getting prepped for delivery just when I was there on Monday.

BTW, congrats SFLAA! I'm insanely jealous and the next two weeks can't go by fast enough. Very happy for you, and hope we can compare notes soon. Hopefully our wives won't think we're quite as loony now that we actually have the cars! :biggrin:

No, you'll have to visit and see it in person :)

Seriously, I want to wait until a fully fabricated alpha prototype is completed so that you'll get a good feel for the final product. At that time, I'll post a bunch of photos in situ.

I have posted a number of photos of early prototypes (e.g., here. They should give you a good feel for the overall form factor, which hasn't changed very much. But also note that the deck details (e.g., closed storage configuration, cup holders, phone caddie) have changed considerably.

In that regard, the following are two pics (I don't think I've posted these) of a 6 week-old advanced proof of concept that I placed in a test drive car (a P85, in this case) in Dania. It is NOT the alpha so please disregard the fit/finish/materials. They, however, provide a more recent view of overall placement in the channels, the CCI height, and the deck form factor when viewed from the driver's seat.

View attachment 10598View attachment 10599

That's an early version, but the fit looks good and overall looks like a good solution.

Congrats Soflauthor!

I stopped in a Starbucks two hours after taking delivery, and honestly, two groups of people at the windows near where the car was parked craned their necks to look and then approached me as I walked in, wanting to know what kind of car it was. Only one person (a woman) had heard of Tesla, and some questioned how “a car so nice” could be an EV. The word “amazing” was used a lot. No one talked about government loans :)

IMO this is exactly the sort of the thing that will spur on new reservations. When I was in Maryland a few months back, I had a conversation at a party with a few people who had never heard of Tesla. I showed them the website and they were all very surprised at how nice the vehicle looked and the specs I'd mentioned. To actually see one in person would be downright otherworldly for those who aren't already 'in the know'.

Congrats Soflauthor!

IMO this is exactly the sort of the thing that will spur on new reservations. When I was in Maryland a few months back, I had a conversation at a party with a few people who had never heard of Tesla. I showed them the website and they were all very surprised at how nice the vehicle looked and the specs I'd mentioned. To actually see one in person would be downright otherworldly for those who aren't already 'in the know'.
Experienced much the same thing with my Gen II Prius back when they were as rare as rooster eggs. I had some pretty full color business cards printed up with my email, the Priuschat.com web site url, a photo of my car, etc just to hand out to those who expressed interest...and to leave on the other rare Prii I encountered in the wild.

Experienced much the same thing with my Gen II Prius back when they were as rare as rooster eggs. I had some pretty full color business cards printed up with my email, the Priuschat.com web site url, a photo of my car, etc just to hand out to those who expressed interest...and to leave on the other rare Prii I encountered in the wild.

That's awesome...and look how successful the Prius turned out ;)

Just a regular sig -- for me and the Maserati guy I smoked, it's plenty fast.
Was at a light on FL 441 with a Maserati (not sure of the model, maybe a Quattroporte). He smiled and nodded and gunned his engine. I smiled, but didn't gun anything. We ... uh ... decided to see who could get off the line quicker. It was embarrassing ... and not for me. Smoked him. Yes, I know, it's very juvenile, but sooo much fun.
We could ramp up with the youtube videos.

1. Smoke a Volt (heh)
2. Smoke a Dodge Hemi Truck (heh again)
2. Smoke a Mustang
3. Smoke a Vette
4. Smoke a Porsche
5. Smoke a Maserati
6. Smoke a Lamborghini
Very cool... and this is definitely the best and most informative ownership report I've seen with tons of great suggestions for TM. Congrats on your car - it's beautiful.

Not to take anything away from a great post, but regarding that drag race with the Maserati... unless the Maserati were quite old, I suspect the driver wasn't trying too hard. The Model S is a fine performer... great acceleration and handling. But all Maseratis made since 2005 will easily out-accelerate a non-performance Model S, and quite a few of them could beat a Performance model. source here.

Again, I'm as blown away as anyone with the performance of this fine auto... it's a wake-up call for the industry. But I wouldn't recommend going out seeking a ton of drag races in our Model S's. 5.6 seconds to 60 is nice, but there are MANY many mid-range cars , even lots of unassuming looking sedans (not to mention the above-suggested vettes, porsches, mustangs, and lambos) that will beat us quite easily. We can take pride in performing admirably in such tests in this large car with such smooth acceleration and doing it with all electric power, no emissions, and in near silence!

Last edited: