Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first road trip - what do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@brewster you are ahead of us by a day. Remember all the tyre issues. We invented a new one. Ran over a large pot hole on the main highway near coffs at 80 to 90km/hr and damaged TWO rims. Had significant wheel vibrations above 65 k/hr

After talking to Tesla found a local shop who is rerolling the 21 wheels. 24 hour stop over in Maleny and $500 bill. The adventure continues!!!

Off to Noosa in a few days

A great coffee at Eumundi - at Humdrum Espresso while I do a short top up charge.
3ph 20amp hasn't seen a Tesla for a couple of months.

eu01.jpg
eu02.jpg
eu03.jpg

Reactions: RichardMcN
Did an end of day chargeup at Gin Gin Showgrounds. New caretaker - a couple of weeks. First 3ph chargepoint no power. Then directed me to a chargepoint near his caravan.

All went well at 3/32amp ..... for a while. 1km walk back to accom. After about half hr checked on phone - dropped out. Back to park, found had tripped. Caravan had hooked up to same supply box may have caused trip and now only max 20amp available on Maxicharger. Stayed with it until topped up.
Just a heads up for Aussie Yank should you charge there. A flat $10 fee for electrons.
Gin Gin 01.jpg

End of day charge at Rockhampton Carpark. Only been available a few months im told. Staying the night next door at Criterion Hotel/Motel for convenience. The owner for the charger facilty is on the other side of car park.
Least expensive accom which is fine for us. Meals we had were great. YMMV.
3p/32amp x 3 chargers.

If staying at Criterion can unplug and vacate Tesla bay by driving forward 10metres to the side belonging to the Criterion.

Rock01.jpg

Last edited:
Off to hum drum coffee this morning, then gin gin today. Will report in the charge issues, if any, with JB2 @brewster

Got the car back last night. Major damage to both left side rims from freeway pothole. But great service from Maleny Bridgestone dealer. Had to currier them 50km to repair shop. Most out of round rims repaired had ever seen. 24hr turn around and $400 for both wheels A real bargain. Car rides smooooooth

More tomorrow

• Informative
Off to hum drum coffee this morning, then gin gin today. Will report in the charge issues, if any, with JB2 @brewster

Got the car back last night. Major damage to both left side rims from freeway pothole. But great service from Maleny Bridgestone dealer. Had to currier them 50km to repair shop. Most out of round rims repaired had ever seen. 24hr turn around and $400 for both wheels A real bargain. Car rides smooooooth

More tomorrow
Great news @Aussie Yank. What great service. I plan to get to Salina Showgrounds or Mackay depending on availability. I have some relations in Mackay at Caravan park to catch up with.

Charged at both Maryborough as well as GinGin today

Brewster @brewster paved the way (many thanks). 32amp/3Phase on the JB2
.......103km/hr to full charge on both. Very smooth and uneventful

Charlie, the new caretaker, was all up on the Tesla charging. $10 flat

No one at Maryborough, so free. Well over 100 electrical connections here

Rocky next stop for a few days

After a full charge at Rockhampton we headed off to Mackay. With a bit of compulsory drafting behind a number of Mexican caravaners we were able to reach Mackay and did a charge up at AXS NDT.
7/37 Connors Road.
They were fantastically helpful and refused any payment. Business owner also has a Tesla (didn't meet). What a tremendous service these guys are providing for us (can I still say early adopters or is that adventurers).
Had lunch at nearby park but they did offer use of their crib room.
Closed Thursday for public holiday.
Hope not too many pics.

Mackay09.jpg

Mackay01.jpg
Mackay03.jpg
Mackay06.jpg
Mackay07.jpg

Sarina is before Mackay and I decided to bypass Sarina Showgrounds. Make sure you phone ahead when you go to Mackay if you charge where I did. Business hours although they even offered to come back and unlock the garage if I needed the time!! AXS NDT in both cities.

Still plenty of friends don't know about electric cars, really no idea. To them at least, I'm crazy. I prefer early adopter.

Sarina is before Mackay and I decided to bypass Sarina Showgrounds. Make sure you phone ahead when you go to Mackay if you charge where I did. Business hours although they even offered to come back and unlock the garage if I needed the time!! AXS NDT in both cities.

Still plenty of friends don't know about electric cars, really no idea. To them at least, I'm crazy. I prefer early adopter.
I guess you may still be the only ev (or very few) in your hometown so definitely an early adopter.

Yes only EV.
Did a full top up charge at Airlie at Abell Beach Boat Yard. I was actually in the boat yard and an extremely busy workplace it is. With 300 boats needing repair from the cyclone they have been working non stop. Surprisingly they were only too pleased to help provide 3ph 32amp.
They needed to move many vehicles just so i could back in. Same when i retrieved the car.
1 box of XXXX GOLD does the deed.

I have let them know that another Tesla may be calling in after a few days and they were happy with that.
Airlie01.jpg Airlie02.jpg Airlie03.jpg Airlie04.jpgAirlieBoar01.jpg AirlieBoar01.jpg AirlieBoat02.jpg AirlieBoat03.jpg

Last edited:
I Wanted to try Ayr Showgrounds and everything was going great on initial calls with Pres. of Burdekin Show Society. He even wanted the local paper to attend. However on arrival and his discussion with the Council they have decided not to make their Showgrounds available to the public for charging purposes but they would allow me to charge on this occasion. After some discussion, the Pres, Brian thought they may reconsider at a future time.

A team were in the process of preparations for their show day on 27-28th but still welcomed us. Even gave us a lift to town for lunch and return while we were charging up.

I added pics of multi purpose shed which original use for caravans during cyclone and of young girl's craft entry for their show; just because. :)

Ayr04.jpg Ayr06.jpg Ayr05.jpg Ayr02.jpg Ayr03.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad @brewster about Ayr. Some senior managers just can't lead. What a stupid decision given that we are willing to pay

Spent few days at Kortes in Rocky They have two 22kw chargers great service and a nice restaurant

Left this morning at 7am heading north stopped in Mackay and charged at Potters they JUST installed twin chargers last week. 17kw and 82KM/hr finally landed in Airlie beach

Currently staying at the beach. With @90 km on the clock. Will recharge fully at boat docks on Monday. Then off to Townsville

At Airlie they tried to locare me outside the yard, but couldn't locate car owner blocking the car space needed, it would have been so much better outside the tarped area in the adjoining car park.

Having to park inside the busy work area, with operating machinery in close proximity can be unerving.

Still in Townsville, off to Cairns via Frosty Mango on Monday.

Last edited: