Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first road trip - what do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to go on my first decent length road trip in my Tesla next month. Initially from Portland, Vic. to Bribie Island in Queensland to visit relations, then all going well, venture north to Port Douglas and the Daintree.

A common thought would be to take a spare wheel, which I don't currently have. Some I guess will suggest I get one where others would rely on a goo/pump kit. I'm curious to know who has been caught out by not having a spare on such a trip, keeping in mind I will be travelling on main roads with I assume plenty of other road users.

Have you any travel suggestions that would make my trip relatively stress free. I do have cables for 3 phase 32 amp charging and have the dual chargers installed. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Has anyone know a friend with an HSV and a space saver spare as it looks like it may fit a Model S.
For example there is this one on ebay.
If you look at the available wheel sizes on a Commodore versus a Model S they are very close
V8 Commodores wheel size includes 8JX19 ET38; 5 X120mm PCD bolt pattern; M14 X1.5 bolts and a centre bore of 66.9
Tesla Model S wheel size includes - - 8JX19 ET40; 5 X120mm PCD bolt pattern; M14 X 1.5 bolts and a centre bore of 64.1

I am planning a similar trip up North, leaving mid June. We are leaving from Sydney and heading for Cairns. We plan on taking about six weeks round trip.

We are carrying five types of charge cables and connectors (including a Juice Boost 2), in addition to extension cords (including a 25M 32 amp extension). So using plug share should make this part work.

I was a bit concerned about road hazards, our tyres had 30K on them, and although fine for the city we did not want to get stuck. Then a funny thing happened, we had a "dead" flat. (nail in side wall). We called Tesla road service and within 45 min, a new wheel and tyre arrive and all is well. We retrieved our old wheel a few days later and decided to get a new set of 245/35/21s ($2200 for the set including alignment -- Contisilents). This lead me to check how far does the road service cover (by the way it was free). It goes all the way up the East coast to Cairns. 1-2 hour guarantee

so all should be well........off to the sunshine

Reactions: RichardMcN
First day of trip to Port Douglas (if we get that far) and my centre screen failed to reboot when I did a reboot for some music that wasn't loading. Tried many times with the reset. Walked away to let the car shutdown and then returned, still no response. Also the binnacle speed read out chucked a bit of a wobbly. All was working as normal, cruise control, autopilot, etc., however speed reading was way out. On 110 km/hr freeway following fast flowing traffic, it was only reading 75 km/hr and cruise highest setting I could get was 90 km/hr. Weird. The Nav on the little side screen was greyed out but was told that doesn't show unless a destination is selected (didn't know that). Called Richmond Service Centre will have to wait until Tuesday for them to return to work. Was assured that a replacement centre screen was in stock should their initial fault finding prove unfruitful. So after travelling 1.5 hrs back to Melbourne, at least 4 days in the big smoke now. Just so thankful this didn't happen in far North Queensland.

First day of trip to Port Douglas (if we get that far) and my centre screen failed to reboot when I did a reboot for some music that wasn't loading. Tried many times with the reset. Walked away to let the car shutdown and then returned, still no response. Also the binnacle speed read out chucked a bit of a wobbly. All was working as normal, cruise control, autopilot, etc., however speed reading was way out. On 110 km/hr freeway following fast flowing traffic, it was only reading 75 km/hr and cruise highest setting I could get was 90 km/hr. Weird. The Nav on the little side screen was greyed out but was told that doesn't show unless a destination is selected (didn't know that). Called Richmond Service Centre will have to wait until Tuesday for them to return to work. Was assured that a replacement centre screen was in stock should their initial fault finding prove unfruitful. So after travelling 1.5 hrs back to Melbourne, at least 4 days in the big smoke now. Just so thankful this didn't happen in far North Queensland.
On the speed, have you selected Miles Per Hour?

As promised, some pics & commentary on driving up the coast. In Queensland it’s all about finding somewhere to charge up…amazingly beautiful scenery too.

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

Between the Gold Coast & Brisbane at Ormeau, charge up at Fiik Skateboards & check out some impressive electric recreational machines. If I was a golfer, I’d be getting one of their golfing machines so I could ride to the course, play a round of 18 then ride home again, all on the same machine.

IMG_1004.jpg

Not too many options on the Sunshine Coast but Caloundra Local Agent has 22 kW HPWCs. Check out some local properties while you wait or take a walk along Bulcock Street where there are plenty of cafes & restaurants.

IMG_0759.jpg

Lake Redbrook Retreat near Childers is the most peaceful caravan park I’ve ever been to. Comfortable cabins & 22 kW HPWC. Kid & dog friendly although people with dogs had caravans. Dine or shop in Childers.

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

Stockland Harvey Bay is another option. A bit hard to find at the back of the shopping centre and both 22 kW HPWCs were ICE’d !!!

IMG_0776.jpg

Kortes Resort in Parkhurst near Rockhampton is new, very comfortable & friendly. Great facilities, restaurant, pool & importantly, 22 kW HPWCs. It’s a long drive & this is the perfect place to take a break.

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

Clairview is about halfway between Rocky & Mackay and a good place to take a breather. Just don’t go for a swim ‘cos someone apparently spotted a shark. Actually the Irukandji are a much better reason not to go for a swim.

IMG_0778.jpg

Sarina Showgrounds is likely a must unless you make it to AXS NDT Workshop in Mackay during business hours (call ahead). Sarina Showgrounds is one of those places where you’ll wish you had a Juice Booster 2 & dual chargers to get 22 kW. If you don’t have both, it’s going to be a long stay with no amenities nearby. Also see Dan the caretaker in the large caravan at the eastern side of the showgrounds to pay for the power.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

Airlie Beach, gateway to the Whitsundays. A beautiful region…just try not to visit during several consecutive days of biblical rain. Even so, still awesome. If you like busy, stay in Airlie, if you like quiet, stay in Cannonvale. Charge up at Able Point Boat Yard with 3 phase during business hours. Payment is a carton of Great Northern. You could have a can yourself but I wouldn’t recommend it. If you want drinkable beer & excellent food, go to Denmans at Mantra. Incredible selection, unbelievable rain. Banjo’s in Cannonvale is a great family friendly pub & bistro. Of course if it’s sunny, head to the islands.

I am planning a similar trip up North, leaving mid June. We are leaving from Sydney and heading for Cairns. We plan on taking about six weeks round trip.

We are carrying five types of charge cables and connectors (including a Juice Boost 2), in addition to extension cords (including a 25M 32 amp extension). So using plug share should make this part work.

I was a bit concerned about road hazards, our tyres had 30K on them, and although fine for the city we did not want to get stuck. Then a funny thing happened, we had a "dead" flat. (nail in side wall). We called Tesla road service and within 45 min, a new wheel and tyre arrive and all is well. We retrieved our old wheel a few days later and decided to get a new set of 245/35/21s ($2200 for the set including alignment -- Contisilents). This lead me to check how far does the road service cover (by the way it was free). It goes all the way up the East coast to Cairns. 1-2 hour guarantee

so all should be well........off to the sunshine

I didn't know that road service goes all the way to Cairns. That is fantastic. Enjoy FNQ!

Great pics @WhiteStar !
Did you charge at Frosty Mango in the end?

No didn't go further north from Airlie due to the relentless rain...next time for sure. Of course a circumnavigation would be the ultimate and you trailblazers have made that idea a great deal more appealing.

One more thing to try for long distance trip planning - EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla - for both iPhone & Android. A really useful app.

EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla by Chris Couper
EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla on the App Store

Irukandji
Prety frustrating @brewster , does that mean you will have or rush, or maybe not have enough time to complete the trip?
Hopefully it won't impact our time frame too much. Dictated by medication requirements more than anything under 'our control'. Tomorrow they can hopefully get to work on the repair.
Thanks for the pics and suggestions as well Whitestar.

How did the problem end up being repaired? Easy fix or major fix?
Easy fix i believe. Took car in first thing Tuesday, Tom started work on it while i was signing up for the Tesla 75D loaner. Called me ready to pick up at 12noon all washed ready to go. I was told the electronics behind the screen were still operating that just the screen itself had failed. Didnt have to wait for Hong Kong tech to recover car history data at 12 noon, he was still able to access that data himself.

Had a couple of chargeups at Local Agent in Coloundra.

Arrive there and another Tesla charging up. Only had his (Simon) car 18hours. After 5 mins we both lose power and it won't reset. Called Stuart, says be there in 5 mins. Unlocks office and was able to recycle power. He had never had this problem before, just my luck.

Anyway, all good and now able to charge up.

Very impressed with the project Stuart Border from Local Agent is heavily involved with - Solar Farm at Gympie. I think it will be around 85 Mwh capacity. Showed me the plans and properties already acquired and others in negotiation stage. Very exciting.

Anyway pulled great numbers at Caloundra.
Coloundra.jpg