Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2023 Model Y doesn't have "Passenger airbag off" button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following the user manual, we can't locate the button to turn off "passenger airbag" under "control/Safety" menu. Did it get removed in 2023??

Long story short, we are troubleshooting the "Passenger airbag off" when my wife was in the passenger tonight. We are wondering if that's due to we putting on Taptes seat covers?

Any tips on this?

TIA 🙏

Is your wife petite, around 90-100lbs? The sensor can be intermittent in that range with any car. Adding a seat cover might distribute the load over the seat, increasing the weight necessary a little. In other cars I've had, dealers could also do a calibration on the seat sensor, i'm not sure about the Tesla.

Reactions: EnjoyDriving
Is your wife petite, around 90-100lbs? The sensor can be intermittent in that range with any car. Adding a seat cover might distribute the load over the seat, increasing the weight necessary a little. In other cars I've had, dealers could also do a calibration on the seat sensor, i'm not sure about the Tesla.

No, my wife is around 140 lb, and weirdly, it came on even when I start up the car with nothing on the seat, and then I also sat on it myself, and it didn't go away. So, something is wrong there.

Another question - I can't find the "Disable Passenger Airbag" button under the "Safety" section, as the user manual suggests. Am I missing something there?

We just put on the "Taptes" car seat covers on, but it claims that it's totally airbag complaint and the product has been around for a long time in this community, so I highly doubt that it's their issue, maybe I installed it incorrectly? For those who have their car seat covers, can you chime in your experience and any issues you have had? That'd be great. 🙏

After searching and trying out different things, have found the answers for some.

1. The disable button is longer available in 23 MY

2. The indicator "Passenger Airbag Off" is always ON by default

3. For under 150lb passengers, we can have the passenger airbag ON by inserting an aluminum foil paper in between our Taptes car seat cover and the oem seat. I am totally puzzled by this solution, but my wife found it from Hyundai groups, and it does work!!

So, we are happy with our car seat covers and the car now

Hope this info helps, chiao 😉