Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: V10 wide release "hopefully end of august" after early access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, it is appreciated that Musk communicates these regular updates.

Yes, we love them! :)

ohtdxizav2c21.jpg

See folks! V10 will have real AP improvements. V10 won't be just games and gimmicks.

On a more serious note the thing is we have seen so many of such mentions from Musk in the past that it is hard to separate the meaningless from the meaningful. Another classic was the promise of an upcoming AP2 update being ”silky smooth” — such a classic it became another running joke next to the 3 to 6 months. One problem is that even when Musk is somewhat accurate about a forward-looking feature, he doesn’t seem to be very accurate on when those updates he refers to actually roll out.

It remains to be seen how much of what Musk says actually appears when V10 rolls out. I have no doubt AP2/3 will continue its slow march forward but how many steps forward and backward there will be has been an open question for the past three years.

I mean, after all, we are discussing this in thread about V10 wide release in August, at the end of September. And you recall your own thread a year back based on more of this about FSD features coming in V9 back then? None have so far appeared over a year later.

Last edited:
See folks! V10 will have real AP improvements. V10 won't be just games and gimmicks.
Diplomat, many of your comments make me laugh. It is true that V10 will have AP improvements, but what AP/MCUs will see those improvements?

I have a AP2/MCU1 Model S that does not have Lane Departure Avoidance or Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance so I doubt that V10 will move my car away from motorcycles or trucks. If you have the latest AP3/MCU2 hardware, V10 may provide additional features but I doubt earlier hardware will get many of the new features.

A more accurate statement is, "See folks! V10 will have real AP improvements for cars that have the latest hardware."

FSD was supposed to be delivered by the end of 2017, then 2018, and now 2019. If I remember correctly, Elon said that a Tesla with FSD would drive from California to New York in 2017. We are still waiting to see this happen.

I really like Tesla and Elon, but he makes many promises that never come true or if they do come true, they do not happen for months or years.

Elon said that early FSD adopters would get updates before other owners. Since he said this, 2019.32.2.1 was released. I never got this release but the following 273 cars with Non-Auto Pilot, AP 1.0, AP 2.0, and AP 2.5 cars received this firmware release.

Platform Build #Updates - From the Tesla Update Firmware Tracker
---------------------------Non-Auto Pilot---AP 1.0---AP 2.0---AP 2.5
S/X 2019.32.2.1--------------36------------144--------54---------32

This shows that Elon told us something again that was not true. I do not believe that FSD Early Adopters will get V10 first. I will check the Firmware Update Tracker again next week to see which cars get it first.

Last edited:
Yes, we love them! :)

On a more serious note the thing is we have seen so many of such mentions from Musk in the past that it is hard to separate the meaningless from the meaningful. Another classic was the promise of an upcoming AP2 update being ”silky smooth” — such a classic it became another running joke next to the 3 to 6 months. One problem is that even when Musk is somewhat accurate about a forward-looking feature, he doesn’t seem to be very accurate on when those updates he refers to actually roll out.

It remains to be seen how much of what Musk says actually appears when V10 rolls out. I have no doubt AP2/3 will continue its slow march forward but how many steps forward and backward there will be has been an open question for the past three years.

I mean, after all, we are discussing this in thread about V10 wide release in August, at the end of September. And you recall your own thread a year back based on more of this about FSD features coming in V9 back then? None have so far appeared over a year later.

As you say, some of Musk's tweets are meaningful while others are off. And I am consistent that I wish Musk would refrain from future predictions that are basically impossible to know (like when robotaxis will happen). But I still prefer direct communication than no communication at all. We get good information in the meaningful tweets and even in the bad predictions, we still get some information, like knowing that Smart Summon is in early access or that V10 is on the way.

Diplomat, many of your comments make me laugh. It is true that V10 will have AP improvements, but what AP/MCUs will see those improvements?

As you know, newer hardware tends to get better features than older hardware. That's just a fact of life. So yes, V10 will probably bring better AP improvements to the newer hardware than to the older hardware. I empathize that you are looking at it from the perspective of what you will get on your car. I was just making a general comment based on the news that came out about better acceleration from a stop. I was also pushing back against the naysayers who were saying that V10 would just be gimmicks. And yes, clearly the level of AP improvements in V10 will be different depending on hardware, but looking across all hardware, V10 will have AP improvements beyond games and gimmicks.

Let me say up front, I'm not an Elon apologist.

However this:
Elon said that early FSD adopters would get updates before other owners.

I do not believe that FSD Early Adopters will get V10 first.

Was misconstrued. I read the tweets involved and he did not say that. One person asked when will early FSD adopters be getting V10. Elon responded saying V10 would be coming out in X time frame. People instantly assumed Elon's response to mean JUST the FSD early adopters would be getting it soon. He said no such thing. Note, I'm an early FSD investomer myself.

When asked for my least favorite Model X feature at NDEW yesterday I had to take a minute and eventually decided it is the auto-play trigger that runs out podcasts on my phone when I am anywhere near the car. It is not just my iPhone but any known iPhone. My habit is to have bluetooth off but now with a Model 3 around that gets inconvenient. Please tell me if V10 fixes this.

Podcasts through TuneIn playing in reverse order is my most annoying feature... Particularly with multi-part episodes.

investomer

I am 100% stealing this.

Elon said that early FSD adopters would get updates before other owners.

Let me say up front, I'm not an Elon apologist.

However this:

Was misconstrued. I read the tweets involved and he did not say that. One person asked when will early FSD adopters be getting V10. Elon responded saying V10 would be coming out in X time frame. People instantly assumed Elon's response to mean JUST the FSD early adopters would be getting it soon. He said no such thing. Note, I'm an early FSD investomer myself.

I think you misrepresent what @S85D was saying, though unintentionally of course. I don’t think @S85D referred to a single tweet only.

Indeed Elon said early FSD adopters would get updates before other owners. Even TESLA said so, not just their CEO.

Here is the earlier timeline:

- March 1st/2nd: Elon Musk tweets in a now deleted tweet/re-tweet that early FSD buyers would get Early Access invites. Several replies to Elon still exist on Twitter, you can go check, congratulating him on a ”perfect” solution. The PR gain was received.

- March 1st/2nd: Tesla’s blog/news confirmed this: ”In regards to the Early Access program, we are super excited to offer the Early Access Program to our customers who had purchased FSD prior to the end of February!” This is available in Google etc archives.

- Late March/Early April: Tesla silenty deleted the above blog/news message from their website. I would assume Elon’s tweet was deleted around the same time. How shady is that?

- June: Tesla starts telling that early FSD customers would be ”amongst the first” to receive updates, when they choose the ”Advanced” tab, a completely different thing compared to an invite to the Early Access Program.

- August 21st the message continues to morph, Elon on Twitter: ”Everyone who bought FSD will receive priority/early access.” which indeed can sound like it will include all FSD buyers, no longer just the early ones...

In the end, I do think @conman this may play out exactly as you said. Unfortunately I can not agree this is how Elon originally told us it would play out.

Just another missed promise, a possible lie or what have you.

Also noting @diplomat33 liked your message that I think was a mistake, so correcting this to him as well. Elon did say it — he just said it earlier.

Last edited:
Just another missed promise, a possible lie or what have you.
FUD and trollish as usual.

My point was to illustrate YMMV on what one believes was Elon’s/Tesla’s motivation. I don’t know what it was but those are some of the possibilities.

I did spend quite a bit of time getting the timeline straight so if you have any comments on what Tesla/Elon announced in March and why they changed their minds, and why they deleted the old posts instead of making a more openly revised announcement or retraction I am all ears. I think it is factual though that they did change their announcement since, that can not be disputed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: am_dmd and jebinc
Late March/Early April: Tesla silenty deleted the above blog/news message from their website. I would assume Elon’s tweet was deleted around the same time. How shady is that?

This is how Tesla deals with a lot of things. Deleting records to their old statements and then just pretending they never happened. It seems to work. In a year very few will remember that FSD was originally promised to be much more than city NoA and stoplight/stop sign detection.

This habit of theirs is one of the reasons why you need to download all your documents (warranty, etc) as soon as you buy the car. Tesla has changed the warranty/extended warranty/service agreement terms over the years and they don’t link to the version that was in effect when you bought your car on your My Tesla account, they link to the latest copy. Service centers only go by the latest document, so you have to have the original copy should you have a dispute about coverage with them. Some owners had this issue when unlimited mile ranger service was removed from the service plans for example.

This is how Tesla deals with a lot of things. Deleting records to their old statements and then just pretending they never happened. It seems to work. In a year very few will remember that FSD was originally promised to be much more than city NoA and stoplight/stop sign detection.

This habit of theirs is one of the reasons why you need to download all your documents (warranty, etc) as soon as you buy the car. Tesla has changed the warranty/extended warranty/service agreement terms over the years and they don’t link to the version that was in effect when you bought your car on your My Tesla account, they link to the latest copy. Service centers only go by the latest document, so you have to have the original copy should you have a dispute about coverage with them. Some owners had this issue when unlimited mile ranger service was removed from the service plans for example.

So, the next thing they will delete is the deceptive statements on the FSD ordering page, "Really"?