Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS & MX 75D uses 48AMP Charger as Model 3? So much for MS & MX being flag ship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Little disappointed to learn that one is not able to upgrade the onboard charger from a 48AMP to a 72AMP on current 75D cars.

Was hoping as the 75 D Model S & X are premium cars that they would also have this option available at time of ordering or after the fact.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be. I once heard the wiring was different on the 75 vs. 100 models. Not sure if this is correct. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I expect for the premium one pays for the MS & MX that they offer a 72AMP option not offer it with the same charger as in the considerably cheaper Model 3.

Seems a backwards move.

It's likely to simplify things as mainstream buyers don't know the difference between AC and DC charging, much less what amp AC charger they want. It's one less decision to make EV buying less scary. But really, with only 75kWh battery there are few if any times a 72A charger would be useful. I have a S60 and just completed a 4460 mile trip. I can't think of one instance where I would have benefited from having a charger with more amps than my 40A on the original model S.

It's likely to simplify things as mainstream buyers don't know the difference between AC and DC charging, much less what amp AC charger they want. It's one less decision to make EV buying less scary. But really, with only 75kWh battery there are few if any times a 72A charger would be useful. I have a S60 and just completed a 4460 mile trip. I can't think of one instance where I would have benefited from having a charger with more amps than my 40A on the original model S.[/QUOTE

I guess everyones situation is different that is why it would be nice if it was available as an aftermarket add on.

In my situation I need quicker charging at my homes. Waiting over night for a full charge is not always an option. We tend to have cold winters which also eat into our battery life and range. We don't have a DC Charger do to the price.

Once they turn on the smart Electricity grids in Canada and the States it will make even more sense. Just a matter of time. Then everyone will want a faster charger so you can charge quickly at significantly lower bills by avoiding using power at peak hours.

Is night time the right time to use your electrical appliances?

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
It is available aftermarket-- you can get it through the service center if it's essential for you, but it's expensive as you're wasting the 48A charger the car comes with rather than getting any credit for it.

No longer available aftermarket. The one that sell at the service centre is for older cars pre June 2017. As I tried to purchase to do this already.

It's not even possible to retrofit a 72AMP charger which is the one the 100D models come standard with.

Could it be the wiring harness in the 75D and 100D is not compatible with the 72AMP charger?

Lets hope they bring back the option or at least offer it as an aftermarket option for clients.

If you are charging with your 48 amp on a 75, its not going to take all night to charge.

Have you ever bought the wrong iphone, computer or hamburger and wished you had bought the other one, the bigger/faster one? Well looks like you made the wrong choice this time. This is one of those things you should have planned better for when you bought.

Since there's no upgrade path to the 72, maybe you should consider selling/trading in to get one that is going to charge 25-30% faster then.

But don't blame Tesla for your choice.

And aftermarket traditionally means 3rd party non-manufacturer vendors.

• Disagree
Reactions: Julie's MS
If you are charging with your 48 amp on a 75, its not going to take all night to charge.

Have you ever bought the wrong iphone, computer or hamburger and wished you had bought the other one, the bigger/faster one? Well looks like you made the wrong choice this time. This is one of those things you should have planned better for when you bought.

Since there's no upgrade path to the 72, maybe you should consider selling/trading in to get one that is going to charge 25-30% faster then.

But don't blame Tesla for your choice.

And aftermarket traditionally means 3rd party non-manufacturer vendors.

Not blaming Tesla . Just hoping they bring back and offer the 72AMP or faster charger or an option to add later to all MS and MX cars.

This was the case until only recently. Would only help to improve the cars. The price difference between 75 & 100 is too steep to justify.

That is why a dual charger or single 72AMP charger makes so much sense depending on your situation and region.

Tesla must have a reason for doing so. Could be out of stock and changing design or vendor and don't know pricing yet, so they do not want to post a price that is higher or lower than when the next ones are available. Following the general ups and downs of options people ordered on their cars, we don't see has many posts asking about a second charger in the last year or so as we used to see during early production of the S. The 40 amp charger required a second charger to be added to the car to increase its charging. I had the second charger added to my first Tesla. Never used it. Didn't order it with my next Tesla and saved those $$$.

As I recall, the 72 amp charger required the removal of the 48 amp charger to install 72. In the last few years there seems to be less questions from people ordering Teslas as to whether they should opt for the higher charging capacity. Could be that sales have fallen off to the point that Tesla didn't think there was enough interest to maintain the option.

All this may be moot. With the recent introduction of the Urban SuperCharger system and can charge at 72 amp, there may suddenly be a lot of interest in retrofitting existing 40/80 amp cars and 48/72 amp cars to maximize their charging rates. As with so many things Telsa is tightlipped until time to execute. Julie, I recommend you just wait a little while before doing anything and maybe we will see what you want made available again - an a better solution.

No longer available aftermarket. The one that sell at the service centre is for older cars pre June 2017. As I tried to purchase to do this already.

It's not even possible to retrofit a 72AMP charger which is the one the 100D models come standard with.

Could it be the wiring harness in the 75D and 100D is not compatible with the 72AMP charger?

Lets hope they bring back the option or at least offer it as an aftermarket option for clients.
What you're referring to is the dual charger. This is different. There are lots of posts here about owners paying to have their 48A charger replaced with a 72A by the service center. Search for details.

I'm not sure if we are atypical Model S users when charging but we find that 99% of our charging is at home during the night when rates are lower. This covers all of our daily driving needs except when on a road trip. That's when our second installed charger, CHAdeMo adapter, extra long extension cord and a wallet full of third party charging access cards can save the day.

We lend the CHAdeMO and charging access cards along with a spare tire to neighbours when they take a Tesla road trip. These items are good to have but not essential for our daily driving needs. A 40 amp circuit does the job for us.