Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorized automatic car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few places near me have the newer style of automatic wash where the car stays totally stationary and a pair of robotic arms move around it with spray nozzles.

Admittedly occasionally these miss a spot, and sometimes a little foam is left on/around the sunroof assembly, but overall I think they do a better job -- much, much better towards the rear of the car than the roll-thru style, they actually get the backup camera lens clean! -- and nothing harder than a jet of water touches the car. I don't use any other kind of automatic wash any more.

I guess I'll stick with the touchless or robotic washes for now and continue hand washing once a month. Great point about the rims and soft paint. I hate curb rash and swirls!

I do find the car gets dirty much more quickly than my other black vehicles, I'm not sure why. Probably related to the aerodynamics or wheel coverings.

A few comments from my experience:

1. If you don't mind getting swirl marks, then an automatic wash is fine. The dirt left in the brushes from other cars is what causes it, and there's nothing that can be done. This doesn't have anything to do with Tesla's paint, they will swirl mark any car. Dark colors will show the swirl marks far worse than lighter colors.

2. In an automatic wash, I'd be more worried about the wheel track damaging rims as others have said, especially with the larger 21" wheels.

3. Ceramic coatings like Opticoat, C.Quartz, Modesta, etc. cannot prevent the swirl marks. They only help with making dirt easier to remove. This allows the "touchless" washes that just use a water spray to be more effective.

4. "Touchless" automatic washes that use just a water spray, detergent, and wax will not cause swirl marks and will not damage the paint or coatings. Even manual "pay-and-spray" washes are safer than automatic washes with brushes, as long as the water is filtered (most of the more modern pay-and-spray places are).

5. If you have a ceramic coating, it can also make hand washing the car easier and safer because you won't have to go over each area more than once. A single wipe with a clean micro fiber will remove all dirt.

6. The only for sure swirl mark prevention if you're going to use automatic washes is a full film wrap like XPel, 3M Scotchgard Pro, Nano Fusion, etc. Most of these films are "self-healing" and any swirl marks that get put into them will eventually disappear.

7. Not all hand washes are created equal. Dirt from other cars (or your own car) left on the towel is what causes the swirl marks. If the guy doing the hand wash doesn't religiously use a clean face of the micro fiber towel on every stroke, then he just sanded your paint. This applies while washing and drying. Hand wash ≠ safe.

For me, I have wanted to keep the paint looking pristine. I do the following:
  • C.Quartz coating applied right after I took delivery.
  • I use the touchless spray washes once a week. Most of the time I use the automatic ones, but occasionally I use a pay-and-spray for a more thorough cleaning.
  • I have a mini-detail done about every 6 weeks. Vive-Houston does this for around $55 and it's a thorough hand wash and interior clean. The car looks like it's off the showroom floor afterwards.

I have Xpel wrap for the high impact areas plus Opti coat pro for the whole car. My detailer demonstrated how to wash the car in about 30 minutes with less than 1 gallon of water. I have it down to a science now and wash it myself every 3 weeks or so. Silver car helps as well :) I bought a mister/sprayer from HD plus some supplies online like grit guard, high quality micro fiber cloths, weave drying cloths, no rinse wash concentrate etc. for less than the price of a "full service car wash"

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I'm another "car is a work horse" guy
That's always been me, totally get it.

I just really like the looks of the MS when it's shiny - so even though it's my wife's I've been hand washing it to try to keep it swirl free and as noted above felt it worth investing in paint protection. Doesn't take that long given the right products and techniques - but in CO it's often not warm enough to do it - and I don't have a wash friendly garage!

My other cars get washed when my wife has to use them - so not that often now she has the MS!

Tesla touch up paint is inexpensive and works well enough...
Umm... well, that assumes it exists in the first place. You still can't buy touchup paint from Tesla for Midnight Silver, Titanium, Deep Blue or Obsidian Black - these paint colors were introduced nearly 2 years ago and last I checked there was still no ETA on availability or any explanation why it has never been available (at least for Deep Blue, I assume the other 3 are in the same boat)

Reactions: Max*
Umm... well, that assumes it exists in the first place. You still can't buy touchup paint from Tesla for Midnight Silver, Titanium, Deep Blue or Obsidian Black - these paint colors were introduced nearly 2 years ago and last I checked there was still no ETA on availability or any explanation why it has never been available (at least for Deep Blue, I assume the other 3 are in the same boat)
You beat me to it.

There are aftermarket options, there was another thread, I forgot what it was... Dr. color or something like that.

You beat me to it.
:)
There are aftermarket options, there was another thread, I forgot what it was... Dr. color or something like that.
I remember seeing that mentioned, Dr Colorchip I believe. Haven't checked them out but might do so if it's much longer - don't have an urgent need for touch up but would like to know it's available when I need it.

(I wonder what Titanium owners think, that color option for Model S orders was discontinued Oct '16, before touch up was available from Tesla!)

Back on topic....
I occasionally use a touchless car wash for my MS with no issues, one of those ones you drive in yourself (no wheel track, no brushes). Otherwise when weather is good enough I hand wash it myself at home

I assume this is due to the flake - certainly the case for Midnight Silver, there's no way you'd get a match - so whatever you put on will look like a bad patch as the flake will never lay right to match the surrounding panel.