Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moderation to Snippiness Needs To Be Reigned In A Bit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been on too many (esp car) forums that readily descend into snippiness and much worse.
(Try a certain RS3 owners forum for example where one guy recently got his brand new RS3 trashed by some delightful people, according to him (albeit so far unproven) as a result of an argument on that site)

The balanced pro-active moderation on this site is very refreshing, even if occasionally a few relatively innocuous posts get caught up.

So, in exchange for copious rep points ;) I'm going to use this as an opportunity to thank the mods for their hard and to my opinion well judged work.
(and yes I have been snipped and rightly so, but ahem the sole purpose was to ensure my [subscrribed threads] does pop up the thread regularly for a laugh).

"Snippiness" is too offensive? I think that's a pretty tame title. We all need to grow a little bit of thicker skin.

Why do we need a "positive connotation"? That defeats the point of the thread. Sometimes we need a kick in the a#$!

I don't think it's a question of thicker skin, or needing a positive connotation. A couple of mods have posted in this thread, acknowledging both that snippiness has been used as a bit of a catch-all repository, and also that at times posts that really probably shouldn't be moved at all do get moved there. (In other words, the mods are human, and thus make mistakes.)

My point is that when as a poster we have a post moved to snippiness, we're going to think it is because whomever moved it felt we were being snippy. We're not going to think it was a mistake, or that it was just a post that needed to be moved somewhere, and a big part of the reason for that is that the thread is named "Snippiness." Since that's not all it is being used for, a very slight change in name--say to something like "Snippiness and other excised posts" would result in people who have posts moved there for non-snippiness reasons feeling less insulted and less punished.

"Snippiness" is intended to be "playfully mocking" - a gentle reprimand to play nice.

Moderation is difficult; sometimes threads get so messy that it's hard to clean them up. People quote "snippy" parts of other people's posts, etc. So sometimes the baby's toy gets thrown out with the bath water.

So please don't take offense if your post gets moved over. You'll be in great company.

I just wish I had a "snippiness sweeper" in my household. You know, somebody who would "sweep away" snippy things that I, my wife, or my teenage and early-20's kids just said... Quarantine the comments that inevitably kindle big arguments or hard feelings. I know you moderators are volunteers, but are any of you for hire? :biggrin:

Perhaps "Snippiness" thread should be renamed to "Snippiness, collateral damage, and just interesting stuff to read over popcorn".

As for the original post in this thread, I think the forum tone (angsty, etc.) is in part due to a serious of missteps by Tesla and the varying reactions by the TMC community in response to them.

A bit back (a few years ago?) there was a thread asking what people's favorite threads were, or it brought up as an off-topic discussion or somesuch. Anyway, my response was "Snippiness" and I was serious. Some of the most interesting drama was in that thread -- and some, well, creative (sometimes crazy) stuff. Of course, that comment got moved to Snippiness (bot? "word magnet"? who knows).

Final thought, Andy don't worry about joining us in the Snippiness thread. The cookies are good and the koolaid is fantastic -- but not recommended if you're pregnant.

Last edited:
Having spent too much time reading comments on other "discussion" sites that are full of hostility, profanity, ignorance, intolerance and worse, I really appreciate the civility of this site. I think that moving comments to snippiness when people start to get, well, snippy, it the perfect answer. I really appreciate the hard work of the moderators here. I don't think I've ever had a comment moved to snippiness but I may have had a few that were borderline.
It's easy to have a discussion degenerate in this relatively impersonal medium but the moderators do a good job of keeping it under control and I like to think that it has improved my behavior, also, since I tend to respond to reasonable comments with reason rather than emotion.
I think the snippiness thread is a good solution. Rather than outright deletion, moving to snippiness preserves "freedom of speech" but puts it in a place where you can read it (or not).

Having spent too much time reading comments on other "discussion" sites that are full of hostility, profanity, ignorance, intolerance and worse, I really appreciate the civility of this site. I think that moving comments to snippiness when people start to get, well, snippy, it the perfect answer. I really appreciate the hard work of the moderators here. I don't think I've ever had a comment moved to snippiness but I may have had a few that were borderline.
It's easy to have a discussion degenerate in this relatively impersonal medium but the moderators do a good job of keeping it under control and I like to think that it has improved my behavior, also, since I tend to respond to reasonable comments with reason rather than emotion.
I think the snippiness thread is a good solution. Rather than outright deletion, moving to snippiness preserves "freedom of speech" but puts it in a place where you can read it (or not).

Yes, indeed. I try to slow down and construct what I write so that there are no negative personal labels or derogatory statements.

As the reigning Mild Mannered Moderator, I'm wondering if it's snippy to tell the OP he doesn't know how to spell "reined"?

Perhaps I was using that spelling to make a subtle statement about the supreme reign of the moderators. Actually no...I was just so annoyed at the time I was posting, and so anxious to get to writing the actual post that I didn't pay enough attention to the thread title, which of course can't be edited by a mere mortal like me after the fact

Edit: I'd have no issue whatsoever with a mod correcting my error! :)

Last edited: