Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs. Toyota Highlander

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are downsizing from 2 cars to just our Model Y and just this past week gave our Honda CRV to our son in North Caroline. This required us to drive the CRV to the Raleigh area then drive a rental Toyota back to New York. This was the first time I've driven a Highlander and I was surprised how crude the 2021 version was. A Highlander is not an inexpensive car, but the lurching while changing gears, the engine roar when under heavy acceleration, the 25 mpg efficiency, and the poor infotainment system made me wonder why anyone would want one of these. It really seemed technically obsolete. The cost of the Highlander ranged from $35,000 to $49,000 so they are in the ballpark of the Model Y or a used Model X. They are also more in the size range of the Model X than the Model Y, so I guess if someone needs the size they might be forced to buy one of these, but I would infinitely prefer a used model X over the vehicle I rented.

If this is how Toyota expects to compete in a world changing to electric, they are going to lose badly.