Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y USS worse than Model 3 USS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a MYP2022 from Berlin, and a M3LR2021 from Shanghai. The USS assisted parking in the MYP is remarkably bad compared to the Model 3. It seems like the update rate is worse, and the values keep jumping all over the place, while the Model 3 does what I would expect. Is this an experience other Model Y users feel familiar with?

I have an appointment with the Tesla SC tomorrow about this, and they just called me up to ask about this issue. They said that my MYP 2022 has a Tesla made system, while the 2021 M3LR has a 3rdparty system. It could thus be, that the difference is caused by the Tesla system being so much inferior to the 3rdparty system they used to buy.

Great.

I have an appointment with the Tesla SC tomorrow about this, and they just called me up to ask about this issue. They said that my MYP 2022 has a Tesla made system, while the 2021 M3LR has a 3rdparty system. It could thus be, that the difference is caused by the Tesla system being so much inferior to the 3rdparty system they used to buy.

Great.
Wow, it seems like their greed to increase production and decrease cost has them make a lot of poor decisions :mad:

Wow, it seems like their greed to increase production and decrease cost has them make a lot of poor decisions :mad:

While I don't disagree with this, it is important to admit that their focus on vertical integration and quick subbing of parts from launch in 2020 and through 2021, and 2022, made the Tesla model Y the biggest selling car in the US and Europe in 2023. Tesla didn't hesitate to compromise on quality or value in order to keep production rolling. Was that a poor decision or not?

Personally, I hate my Tesla but part of the reason I own one is the vehicle I wanted to buy wasn't available for a minimum of 9 months in 2020. My friend is now at month 18 of her wait for the same vehicle. Yet model Ys never had that length of wait for a car, making them the choice of people who needed a vehicle quickly.

The MY disappoints on many fronts not the least of which is what one actually receives vs what one thought they were buying, but at least it is being shipped in reasonable time frames. Given the chip shortages, the labour shortages, the supply chain issues and the subsequent inflation, it is remarkable that Tesla's flexibility catapulted it to the top of car sales in the western world.