Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model Y Suspension Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, you put on aftermarket suspension? Well, this completely unrelated motor or battery failure is no longer covered."

Unless you can point to an concrete example of Tesla denying battery failure coverage because of suspension parts, I am going to ask you to not just throw stuff out there.

There is a huge difference in "modded suspension = we dont cover your suspension or things connected to it" and "modded suspension = we dont cover things completely unrelated.

I did get them installed but still playing with the settings before I make any comments about my experience.
To adjust the rear shocks I have to lift the car and remove the rear wheels/arch liners. Only day I have time is Sundays and weather must permit.

My main reason for the Tein was because I wanted to lower the vehicle and still have a comfortable ride, this can not be achieved with OEM shocks.

There are quite a few people who have done this and been extremely happy. Especially since you'd be using OEM parts.
Any updates? Get it dialed in?

Any updates? Get it dialed in?
Thanks for being patient with an update.

Install was done the day before I was headed on a road trip with the family.
Worst decision ever! 10/12 F/R setting as suggested. Car was very bouncy and big dips on the highway felt like the car was bottoming out.

The suspension was even worse than being on lowering springs with oem shocks.
This is exactly what I was trying to get away from since I initially had Dinan springs installed and hated the ride.

After speaking with rishie he was genuinely concerned as to what could have went wrong. He said he typically suggests h&r springs but only suggested eibach to me since I wanted a more aggressive drop. He tried to convince me to try a stiffer setting but I decided to go softer to try to soften the hits from the big bumps. I adjusted the setting to full soft. 16/16.

Even worse than before!

Finally gave in to rishies suggestion which seemed very counterintuitive to me. Went 7/9. Getting better but still not better than or equal to the stock suspension.

In the meantime rishie told me he was doing an install in his shop with eibachs so he may be able to tell me if the issue was the springs.
He did the install and informed me he doesn’t think the eibach are the issue. He went so far as to telling me I am the first person to EVER have complained about Tein shocks.
Maybe I am just expecting a miracle here?

Going through some old treads here, I came across someone who suggested that your tires need to be somewhat stiff so that the shocks can do what they are intended to do. Makes a little sense, had a light bulb moment. I’ve switched to 18 inch rims with very cushy 235/60/18s set at 36 psi cold. Maybe that’s the issue? So I just set my tires to 42 psi cold this evening. Waiting to see if this helps.

In the meantime waiting to hear reviews about the new mpp coilovers.

So trying to keep up with all these changes in my head I don’t even remember how good or bad the stock shocks were!

Although I did drive my old 2015 p85d one day during this whole ordeal, this is ride I am looking for! Maybe I am chasing something that is just not possible without an air suspension. I am definitely not doing an aftermarket air suspension. Oem has its own issues, I’d hate to try to chase down an aftermarket air suspension issue.

If I didn’t want the car lowered there is no way I would’ve ever went with aftermarket shocks.

I am still hopeful and still trying different setting with the shocks/psi/everything else under the sun!

May try out the new mpp after a few reviews are out.

I know this is long and drawn out but just trying to share all the different settings I’ve went through trying to achieve perfection.

I will update again if anyone else is still listening other than @MattM24

On a side note, I initially wanted to go with the Tein coilovers since it would make sense the spring/shock combo is what’s proven but rishie suggested against it only because the coilovers produce some noises at times.

Worst decision ever! 10/12 F/R setting as suggested. Car was very bouncy and big dips on the highway felt like the car was bottoming out.

This is exactly what I was trying to get away from since I initially had Dinan springs installed and hated the ride.

After speaking with rishie he was genuinely concerned as to what could have went wrong. He said he typically suggests h&r springs but only suggested eibach to me since I wanted a more aggressive drop. He tried to convince me to try a stiffer setting but I decided to go softer to try to soften the hits from the big bumps. I adjusted the setting to full soft. 16/16.

Even worse than before!

Finally gave in to rishies suggestion which seemed very counterintuitive to me. Went 7/9. Getting better but still not better than or equal to the stock suspension.

In the meantime rishie told me he was doing an install in his shop with eibachs so he may be able to tell me if the issue was the springs.
He did the install and informed me he doesn’t think the eibach are the issue. He went so far as to telling me I am the first person to EVER have complained about Tein shocks.

Going through some old treads here, I came across someone who suggested that your tires need to be somewhat stiff so that the shocks can do what they are intended to do. Makes a little sense, had a light bulb moment. I’ve switched to 18 inch rims with very cushy 235/60/18s set at 36 psi cold. Maybe that’s the issue? So I just set my tires to 42 psi cold this evening. Waiting to see if this helps.

So trying to keep up with all these changes in my head I don’t even remember how good or bad the stock shocks were!

Although I did drive my old 2015 p85d one day during this whole ordeal, this is ride I am looking for! Maybe I am chasing something that is just not possible without an air suspension. I am definitely not doing an aftermarket air suspension. Oem has its own issues, I’d hate to try to chase down an aftermarket air suspension issue.

If I didn’t want the car lowered there is no way I would’ve ever went with aftermarket shocks.

I am still hopeful and still trying different setting with the shocks/psi/everything else under the sun!

I know this is long and drawn out but just trying to share all the different settings I’ve went through trying to achieve perfection.

Stiffer tires and wheels are not going to fix your issues.

Are you truly bottoming out? Is the suspension packing down then bottoming out because you have too little rebound in the shocks? Is it just that the car feels stiff?

I have Ohlins RT. The suspension makes no noise. I can fly through the canyon at significant speed. 19" wheels and the suspension is lifted, not lowered. The car would handle much better, of course, if I lowered it, but I want to be able to bomb over speed bumps, and the lift makes all the difference. I used to have the stiffness set higher, but I decided to drop some handling in favor of a nicer ride.

Even worse than before!

If your car is bouncing around, you need more damping, not less, so stiffer is better in this case.
You also have a lot of variables flying around with the eibach springs, oversized touring tires and now the shocks.

If these aren’t getting you where you want to be, then you might be going down the wrong path.

I had KW V2 coilovers on a car back in the day (completely different car) and ended up going back to a factory performance, since they were too aggressive for my liking.

Might be worth going back to stock and swapping the tires out for something 235/55R18.

Do you still have the factory wheels and tires? Might be worth trying those out first.

Stiffer tires and wheels are not going to fix your issues.

Are you truly bottoming out? Is the suspension packing down then bottoming out because you have too little rebound in the shocks? Is it just that the car feels stiff?

I have Ohlins RT. The suspension makes no noise. I can fly through the canyon at significant speed. 19" wheels and the suspension is lifted, not lowered. The car would handle much better, of course, if I lowered it, but I want to be able to bomb over speed bumps, and the lift makes all the difference. I used to have the stiffness set higher, but I decided to drop some handling in favor of a nicer ride.

I am not sure if it is hitting the bump stops but its actually too much rebound! To the points where the car is bouncing up and down multiple times instead of trying to smooth out the bump. Cause has been discovered, shocks were set too soft. Tightening them up has helped, still trying to find the sweet spot. Currently at 7/9.
The Ohlins do sound like the right ticket! I didnt want to spend MPP money, now I am considering Ohlins, even air suspension has crossed my mind.
Also made the mistake of test driving a Rivian R1S and then a Model X yesterday too, Model Y just fits the bill so well at half the price!
Reading more and more old posts, seems suspension is just a very personal preference so I have to find what I like best, as others have said. I guess seeing people with the "night and day difference", thats just what I was expecting out of the box. Obviously not true.... for me at least.

If your car is bouncing around, you need more damping, not less, so stiffer is better in this case.
You also have a lot of variables flying around with the eibach springs, oversized touring tires and now the shocks.

If these aren’t getting you where you want to be, then you might be going down the wrong path.

I had KW V2 coilovers on a car back in the day (completely different car) and ended up going back to a factory performance, since they were too aggressive for my liking.

Might be worth going back to stock and swapping the tires out for something 235/55R18.

Do you still have the factory wheels and tires? Might be worth trying those out first.

You are right on!
Stiffening the shocks did help a lot. I just had a hard time wrapping my head around this concept but makes prefect sense now.
Still trying to tweak them to my liking.
And yes I do have a lot more variables with the rims and tires.
My next step was to try the factory rims/tires.
Not willing to spend another $1000 on tires with a bunch of what-ifs, especially just to go from 235/60 to 235/55. Although it seems that size may have been the better option.
Ill continue tinkering with the current setup and see what comes about.
On a side note Ive gotten VERY good at adjusting the rear shocks, I dont even have to remove the arch liner anymore and am able to do it in the dark! Lol!

I'm fine with everything you say but this. "Bouncing around" can happen from too much damping too. It's hard to tell what's going on from the posts.

Again, anyone else following the thread, please keep in mind I have a lot of other variables I am working with.
Worth pointing out, Rishie from Zevcentric has been awesome throughout the whole process. Weve exchanged over 50 emails and hes been very patient with me and very helpful!
This is my first time changing out a factory suspension so its been a learning process for sure.
Im glad this site is here with a wealth of information.
Thank you to everyone who has tried to help.

I am not sure if it is hitting the bump stops but its actually too much rebound! To the points where the car is bouncing up and down multiple times instead of trying to smooth out the bump. Cause has been discovered, shocks were set too soft. Tightening them up has helped, still trying to find the sweet spot. Currently at 7/9.
The Ohlins do sound like the right ticket! I didnt want to spend MPP money, now I am considering Ohlins, even air suspension has crossed my mind.
Also made the mistake of test driving a Rivian R1S and then a Model X yesterday too, Model Y just fits the bill so well at half the price!
Reading more and more old posts, seems suspension is just a very personal preference so I have to find what I like best, as others have said. I guess seeing people with the "night and day difference", thats just what I was expecting out of the box. Obviously not true.... for me at least.

You are right on!
Stiffening the shocks did help a lot. I just had a hard time wrapping my head around this concept but makes prefect sense now.
Still trying to tweak them to my liking.
And yes I do have a lot more variables with the rims and tires.
My next step was to try the factory rims/tires.
Not willing to spend another $1000 on tires with a bunch of what-ifs, especially just to go from 235/60 to 235/55. Although it seems that size may have been the better option.
Ill continue tinkering with the current setup and see what comes about.
On a side note Ive gotten VERY good at adjusting the rear shocks, I dont even have to remove the arch liner anymore and am able to do it in the dark! Lol!

Again, anyone else following the thread, please keep in mind I have a lot of other variables I am working with.
Worth pointing out, Rishie from Zevcentric has been awesome throughout the whole process. Weve exchanged over 50 emails and hes been very patient with me and very helpful!
This is my first time changing out a factory suspension so its been a learning process for sure.
Im glad this site is here with a wealth of information.
Thank you to everyone who has tried to help.
Good to hear you’re getting it under control.
The thought on the 235/55R18 was to get you back to stock ride height, since you mentioning lowering the car to get rid of the extra height from the tires.
You might get a better ride from the shorter tire and factory springs/shocks or even stock springs with the Tein shocks. You would have more suspension travel that way, so theoretically it could be better.

Good to hear you’re getting it under control.
The thought on the 235/55R18 was to get you back to stock ride height, since you mentioning lowering the car to get rid of the extra height from the tires.
You might get a better ride from the shorter tire and factory springs/shocks or even stock springs with the Tein shocks. You would have more suspension travel that way, so theoretically it could be better.

Factory springs with Tein shocks has crossed my mind as well, Just hate to give up the lowering which was my main reason for going with a aftermarket shocks so I could lower the car.
The extra suspension travel is something I had brought up to Rishie before I even purchased, he assured me the Tein shock does well with the lowering springs.
Ill see how things pan out and keep the post updated.

Reactions: MattM24
On a side note, I initially wanted to go with the Tein coilovers since it would make sense the spring/shock combo is what’s proven but rishie suggested against it only because the coilovers produce some noises at times.
I'd get the EnduraPlus Pros over the FlexZ. IMHO, The FlexZ is just not a really good coilover kit - it's popular because its cheap, even though some shops market it as a performance suspension. If you get a chance to drive in a Model Y with a MPP, Ohlins or KW/ST setup, you'll immediately notice how they outperform the FlexZ by a longshot.

Suspension can really make or break the overall driving experience. If budget is really the limiting factor, I'd rather see people at least getting the MPP Comfort Coilovers (we just got a few sets in this week) or the ST Suspensions kit. You really get what you pay for.

• Love
Reactions: hyp36rmax