Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y on the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find a thread about track time and racing in general on Model Y. Is anyone else using Model Y Performance for autocross or lapping?

On our local autocross events there are multiple Model 3s - one is always 1st/2nd, another two are usually in top 10 (out of 80 cars). I don't feel significant difference on the same lap between Model 3 and Model Y. Of course, I can't show similar time to those guys on Model 3s - but not because Model 3 is significantly better on track than Model Y, but just because I'm not as good as a driver ;)

Few observations:
1. Model Y Performance is definitely track capable. Brakes are good, low center of gravity is great, car rotates like a sport car, not like an SUV. I didn't have any problems with overheating yet.
2. You don't feel the lack of power. Top speed on the exit of straight line is comparable to Corvettes and 911s.
3. AWD does a phenomenal job is keeping the car neutral. It doesn't prone to understeer or oversteer. Feel like Subaru WRX if you know what I mean.
4. There is a noticeable power cut off between harsh braking and full throttle. When you break hard and go through the turn, you can't use full power for a second. Plus, I don't feel that power kicks in 100% until I return the wheel to the straight position. That's a bummer. On Model 3 it is addressed by enabling Track Mode, but we don't have it in Y.
5. Having two sets of tires on the same Uberturbine wheels, I can say that Michelin Pilot 4S is a way better tire then stock Pirellis. Pirellis are quiet and more comfortable on the road, but they don't have simillar grip. That is very noticeable.
6. Model Y has plenty of headroom for the helmet.
7. It is good to keep state of charge above 70%. After that I feel that power is slightly degraded. My best lap times are usually on 80% state of charge - full regen to help with braking, still peak power output.

Did lapping on 2.25 mile road course yesterday. Stock 2021 Model Y Performance, stock Pirellis.

It was 90F outside, really hot for our area. Three lapping sessions, 6 laps each, 20 minute pause between them. Other cars were struggling with boiling brake fluid and engine overheating. Model Y had no issues with brakes, no power issues. The only issue was with tire pressure - I've started with 40 PSI, and had 50PSI at the end of 2nd session, so needed to bleed the air. Next time I will start with 36 PSI cold.

The only car that I couldn't pass was new BMW Supra - it was way faster on speeds 100mph+ and in steep turns. But passing BRZs and Golf Rs was relatively easy. Driving 140mph on the straight and going 80mph through the turns was so much fun.

The problem however was with state of charge. Each 2.25 lap was consuming 5% of the battery. I was charging the car between lapping sessions on the Tesla Wall Charger (yes, there were 2 Tesla Wall chargers on the track). But it was giving 5% of juice, and I was losing 30% of charge on each session.
I've started with 90%, and needed to drive slow on the 3rd lapping session to complete it, had 10% of charge at the end and battery significantly degraded. Needed to stop at the Supercharger on the way home just to be able to get home.

Had some scars on the front bumper from hitting apex cones two times, but it was easily removed with the detailer.

Attachments

• photo_2022-09-01_14-49-16.jpg
    photo_2022-09-01_14-49-16.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 263
Did you find that the seats left a lot to be desired? I had trouble tracking my Model 3 because I was grabbing on to the steering wheel for dear life in hard cornering. The seats did nothing to hold my body in place.

Also, might be wise to swap the DOT 3 brake fluid for DOT 4 - the factory stuff is crap, I boiled my fluid very quickly in the 3. Unless they are using DOT4 in MYPs now.

I'll plan on tracking my Y this year if I can get a set of Pirellis I can mount on for cheap, looks like that shouldn't be too hard, seems like nobody wants them in the Northeast.

I took my MYP to the track with a local performance driving school 4 times over the past summer. Compared to the OP, I was probably driving like I was cruising by the beach, since the car doesn't feel stressed in any way and I can't feel the stability nannies kicking in (it could just be that I couldn't tell period), but I had a blast driving the MYP on the track. Sadly it will probably be at least 5~6 months before our weather permits track days, but I very much look forward to using Track Mode there.

The map below is the local track I drove on. I believe the setup they used is around 1.3 miles, so it's not really possible to get to high speeds. But there are plenty of turns to negotiate. It will be cool to try to dial in the car's handling via Track Mode for best results and have an actual lap timer to see how I'm doing.

DCTC-Track-and-Facility-Overview1120.jpg

Reactions: TacoSteve
I am also going track with MYP 2023. (Agressive track use)

Few things wonder;

-Do we really need upgrade brake pads? If we do, is it enough only for front or rear needed too?
-Which brand upgarde brake pads recommended by experienced users? (Only for track or both track and daily if doesnt differs too much)
-Do we really need SS brake lines?
-Do we really need race brake hydraulic oil?
-Any lightweight and robust 19 inch race wheels recommendations?

Did you find that the seats left a lot to be desired? I had trouble tracking my Model 3 because I was grabbing on to the steering wheel for dear life in hard cornering. The seats did nothing to hold my body in place.

Also, might be wise to swap the DOT 3 brake fluid for DOT 4 - the factory stuff is crap, I boiled my fluid very quickly in the 3. Unless they are using DOT4 in MYPs now.

I'll plan on tracking my Y this year if I can get a set of Pirellis I can mount on for cheap, looks like that shouldn't be too hard, seems like nobody wants them in the Northeast.

As brake oil, Motul RBF would be better option maybe? And which brake pads you recommend for track use? Also both front or rear or only front is sufficent?

I am also going track with MYP 2023. (Agressive track use)

Few things wonder;

-Do we really need upgrade brake pads? If we do, is it enough only for front or rear needed too?
-Which brand upgarde brake pads recommended by experienced users? (Only for track or both track and daily if doesnt differs too much)
-Do we really need SS brake lines?
-Do we really need race brake hydraulic oil?
-Any lightweight and robust 19 inch race wheels recommendations?
If you have no track experience, try driving the MYP as is before throwing a bunch of $$ at mods. Biggest mod is going to be experience. Go out there , have fun and hone on your driving skills.

Definitely need to flush brake fluid (Tesla still uses DOT 3) before hitting the track, the OEM fluid is not suitable for the track.

Weak spots on the MYP are brake fluid (flush and replace with DOT 4). ATE TYP 200 is good for the street or beginners, no harm is going for the really good stuff like Motul 660 or Castrol SRF. SS lines are optional, these become more beneficial when as the vehicle ages and the stock rubber lines begin to swell, which affects pedal feel.

Larger swaybars are beneficial on the MYP as it's taller than the Model 3. But not needed for first day out.

For wheels, we like the Titan7 brand, these are 10K Ton Forged and start at ~21lb/wheel, already cutting wheel weight in half compared to the 21" Uberturbines. I'm running 20x10" with 275/40-20 squared which keeps the option open for wheel rotation.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me directly.

If you have no track experience, try driving the MYP as is before throwing a bunch of $$ at mods. Biggest mod is going to be experience. Go out there , have fun and hone on your driving skills.

Definitely need to flush brake fluid (Tesla still uses DOT 3) before hitting the track, the OEM fluid is not suitable for the track.

Weak spots on the MYP are brake fluid (flush and replace with DOT 4). ATE TYP 200 is good for the street or beginners, no harm is going for the really good stuff like Motul 660 or Castrol SRF. SS lines are optional, these become more beneficial when as the vehicle ages and the stock rubber lines begin to swell, which affects pedal feel.

Larger swaybars are beneficial on the MYP as it's taller than the Model 3. But not needed for first day out.

For wheels, we like the Titan7 brand, these are 10K Ton Forged and start at ~21lb/wheel, already cutting wheel weight in half compared to the 21" Uberturbines. I'm running 20x10" with 275/40-20 squared which keeps the option open for wheel rotation.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me directly.

Thanks for reply. I am pretty experienced on track but with ICE cars. :) I am using Motul 660 or 700 for brake fluid, will use it on MYP too then.

I am using sway bars, strut bars, coilovers, LSDs, bigger brake master cylinders etc. all track stuff on my ICE cars but want to go stock as possible for MYP, especially mechanically. So dont want to modify suspension or sway bars or brake discs etc. but brake pads is kinda first mod for track mostly. I only want to upgrade brake pads and brake fluid as easier to modify and vital. So really appreciate brake pads recommandations too...

For wheels i could keep the stock 19" Gemini ones as they are not very very heavy and plug and play for Model Y. As tires, we use generally DOT approved semi-slicks on trackdays and best option here is Trofeo R and imo after that is AR-1. I will choose 285/35/19 as size for both larger traction surface and lower height - center of gravity. If i find a premium and lightweight 19" wheels in future i may go with them.

Reactions: tom @ eas
End of the track season update...

I did plenty of track days on Pacific Raceways on my Camaro SS 1LE this season. I think I finally figured out the perfect racing line and brake applications on that track. If you don't know what is Pacific Raceways - go and watch the movie "The Art of Racing in the Rain". It was filmed there, great track near Seattle.

But since I've worn down the track tired on my Camaro to the cords few weeks ago, I've decided to do that last track day of the season on my Tesla Model Y Performance and race against myself.

2021 Model Y Performance, stock Pirelli P Zero tires and Uberturbines. I use these tires for ~5 months a year, so plenty of thread left even after few years.

My observations:
1. Arrived with 80% SOC and charged on-site using Tesla Wall Charger right at the track to 95%. After 20 laps and 45 minutes on track I've called it a day and left the track with 10% SOC.
2. Brake fade was a big issue. You definitely need race brake fluid (I prefer Castrol SRF) and better pads. It is so cool that Track Mode gives you a warning when you brakes are too hot and you don't suddenly end up in gravel after the straight.
3. Battery overheating was another issue. Every 2nd lap I had a battery overheating warning and needed to slow down. You definitely need to upgrade the braked first and keep regen at 20% to reduce the battery temps.
4. Track Mode is great. Power delivery, steering feel, all the telemetry from the car. I wish I have this on my Camaro.
5. Surprise - while I wasn't able to brake how I do on Camaro due to brake fade and while I had issues on the straight trying to get to 140mph due to battery overheating, I was quickly chasing and passing other cars in turns. So if you think that Tesla MYP is fast on a straight - actually Iit is the other way around. Steering inputs are great, and you can feel, hear and see on the dash what each of your tires is doing. Think about 911 Carrera S passing me on the straight and braking way later then me - but then I was passing him after just 3 turns. The car pulls you out of the corners quickly, and grip for such a heavy car is phenomenal.

But end of story - I wasn't able to beat my own time on Camaro. My best time was as 90% SOC when battery and brakes were still relatively cold, but I still was 5 seconds slower than my typical time on Camaro.

Sorry for the poor quality picture, but I didn't want to pay $30 to remove the watermark ;)
photo_2023-10-23_12-48-29.jpg

Ok, replace fluid with SRF (less moisture absorbance)

Any recommendations concerning brake pads?

1. Something streetable that is also suited for track days
2. Full on race pads. Presumably this will also mean dedicated rotors, to avoid cross contamination.

Ok, replace fluid with SRF (less moisture absorbance)

Any recommendations concerning brake pads?

1. Something streetable that is also suited for track days
2. Full on race pads. Presumably this will also mean dedicated rotors, to avoid cross contamination.

looking into a performance street pad from GLoc (ex carbo tech) and add a high temp brake fluid

dedicated track pads add noise and don’t stop well in the street. Most students who blow through brakes are charging down the straights and over braking because they are not able to keep their corner speed up. Lots you can likely improve on before throwing money at the car. Spend it on seat time!

Reactions: hyp36rmax
For the dedicated race pads I was thinking of doing the race pads at the track then swapping back when leaving but this would have to include swapping rotors as well.

I've changed pads and rotors before and I've done track days. But I've never changed pads and rotors at the track because it takes a while to do lol. I'd rather be on the track.

But my old Focus ST had great brakes ... until the fourth lap, consistently. I would just bring the car in around the 10 minute mark of the 20 min session. Motul 600 didn't solve the brake fade.

So, I'm waffling. If a streetable track pad (with the right fluid) is enough for the track with these heavier Teslas or if I need to bite the time-bullet and take race pads and rotors to the track.

Last edited:
For the dedicated race pads I was thinking of doing the race pads at the track then swapping back when leaving.

I've changed pads and rotors before and I've done track days. But I've never changed pads and rotors at the track because it takes a while to do lol. I'd rather be on the track.

But my old Focus ST had great brakes ... until the fourth lap, consistently. I would just bring the car in around the 10 minute mark of the 20 min session. Motul 600 didn't solve the brake fade.

So, I'm waffling. If a streetable track pad (with the right fluid) is enough for the track with these heavier Teslas or if I need to bite the time-bullet and take race pads and rotors to the track.

you can just swap pads if they’re compatible. sounds not fun. Just drive the car and deal with it when it comes up. Brake fluid and pads help but it aren’t a magic bullet. It’s a 4400 lb car

Reactions: hyp36rmax
End of the track season update...

I did plenty of track days on Pacific Raceways on my Camaro SS 1LE this season. I think I finally figured out the perfect racing line and brake applications on that track. If you don't know what is Pacific Raceways - go and watch the movie "The Art of Racing in the Rain". It was filmed there, great track near Seattle.

But since I've worn down the track tired on my Camaro to the cords few weeks ago, I've decided to do that last track day of the season on my Tesla Model Y Performance and race against myself.

2021 Model Y Performance, stock Pirelli P Zero tires and Uberturbines. I use these tires for ~5 months a year, so plenty of thread left even after few years.

My observations:
1. Arrived with 80% SOC and charged on-site using Tesla Wall Charger right at the track to 95%. After 20 laps and 45 minutes on track I've called it a day and left the track with 10% SOC.
2. Brake fade was a big issue. You definitely need race brake fluid (I prefer Castrol SRF) and better pads. It is so cool that Track Mode gives you a warning when you brakes are too hot and you don't suddenly end up in gravel after the straight.
3. Battery overheating was another issue. Every 2nd lap I had a battery overheating warning and needed to slow down. You definitely need to upgrade the braked first and keep regen at 20% to reduce the battery temps.
4. Track Mode is great. Power delivery, steering feel, all the telemetry from the car. I wish I have this on my Camaro.
5. Surprise - while I wasn't able to brake how I do on Camaro due to brake fade and while I had issues on the straight trying to get to 140mph due to battery overheating, I was quickly chasing and passing other cars in turns. So if you think that Tesla MYP is fast on a straight - actually Iit is the other way around. Steering inputs are great, and you can feel, hear and see on the dash what each of your tires is doing. Think about 911 Carrera S passing me on the straight and braking way later then me - but then I was passing him after just 3 turns. The car pulls you out of the corners quickly, and grip for such a heavy car is phenomenal.

But end of story - I wasn't able to beat my own time on Camaro. My best time was as 90% SOC when battery and brakes were still relatively cold, but I still was 5 seconds slower than my typical time on Camaro.
New to MYP, thanks for sharing track experience.
The above showed 45min session from 95% to 10%.
I assume once it is below 20%, the car available power must be severely reduced.
I noticed at below 20%, the white bar does not go all the way at full throttle

Does anyone have data on MYP available Wh for a given battery state of charge ?

In Tesla menu for customizing track mode handling balance, does shifting the dial to rear 100% means the acceleration power only come from the rear motor such that the total available power is reduced (no front motor) or the regen is shifted to the rear 100% but both front and rear motor are available for power under accelerations?

This has been an interesting read, but I can’t help but wonder what you guys are experiencing that I’m not. I’ve never taken my MYP on a track, but I have done AutoX for years with a friend’s Focus ST, and prior to the MYP I owned cars like a BMW 340i M-Sport, a VW GTI Performance Pack, etc.

The MYP is a great vehicle, and it’s certainly quick…but it doesn’t feel to me like something I’d want to take to the track. I find its handling just…”OK,” and that’s on the street. Based on how it feels on the street, I wouldn’t want to take it to a track. I feel a little understeer just going around a roundabout slightly aggressively. Steering is quick and reasonably responsive but relatively numb, so I don’t know what this “steering feel” is that you speak of.

Now granted, I‘ve never put it in Track mode (didn’t even know it had a track mode), but I have trouble believing that would suddenly make it handle better. It’s a heavy vehicle (even though it’s light by EV standards).

This has been an interesting read, but I can’t help but wonder what you guys are experiencing that I’m not. I’ve never taken my MYP on a track, but I have done AutoX for years with a friend’s Focus ST, and prior to the MYP I owned cars like a BMW 340i M-Sport, a VW GTI Performance Pack, etc.

The MYP is a great vehicle, and it’s certainly quick…but it doesn’t feel to me like something I’d want to take to the track. I find its handling just…”OK,” and that’s on the street. Based on how it feels on the street, I wouldn’t want to take it to a track. I feel a little understeer just going around a roundabout slightly aggressively. Steering is quick and reasonably responsive but relatively numb, so I don’t know what this “steering feel” is that you speak of.

Now granted, I‘ve never put it in Track mode (didn’t even know it had a track mode), but I have trouble believing that would suddenly make it handle better. It’s a heavy vehicle (even though it’s light by EV standards).
I think it’s all relative, at least in my case. Before the MYP, I drove minivans for around 14 years, so it’s far and away the most capable car I’ve ever owned. It’s also my only car so if I want to drive on a track it’s my only option. Now compared to others, my track driving is extremely tame (I’ve never come close to overheating anything), but I had fun driving on a track at an HDPE. I’m sure if I had experience in light weight sporty cars, the MYP wouldn’t be up to par, but for what it is I enjoyed my runs around a track with it.