Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y from the U.S. to Ireland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently brought my Model Y Tesla from the U.S. to a Ireland and I am having a HARD time finding an adapter to use with chargers on the road and also an adapter for my EU wall charger. The first two are my car and the third is the wall charger. The next one are the chargers in my town. Please help as I feel like I have a chain attached to me and can go so far. Before you ask why did I bring my car, I paid 75,000 for my 2022 when prices were very high and I did not have to pay tax when I relocated home. I am about to start I a new job that I have to drive everyday for an hour each way so this is URGENT. I have spent so much money on adapters that don’t work. I have also been to Tesla in Dublin, Ireland and they at least helped with a slow charger but of course all of the adapters are after market so they are careful with how much help they provide.

Attachments

• 70722218785__65DC057B-9237-4A33-98D2-30ED6B0CE47F_Original.jpeg
    70722218785__65DC057B-9237-4A33-98D2-30ED6B0CE47F_Original.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 70722220080__7602DD94-5C4C-4EBB-AE6E-64EF9F9DD2D6_Original.jpeg
    70722220080__7602DD94-5C4C-4EBB-AE6E-64EF9F9DD2D6_Original.jpeg
    726.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 70722225488__E1E2A1B1-B779-4BF1-8DD7-3655ED11DB44_Original.jpeg
    70722225488__E1E2A1B1-B779-4BF1-8DD7-3655ED11DB44_Original.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2206_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2206_Original.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 42
What adapters do you have? The first option, for CCS2 fast charging will require a CCS2 to NACS adapter. I see several for sale on the Internet, but make sure they are selling CCS2 (Europe) and not CCS1 (US). The second looks to be a Mennekes connector, also known as Type 2 or IEC 62196-2, which is a European AC standard. I do not know if there is an adapter plug, but I would consider looking for an entire cable replacement with a NACS end point.

I'm in the US and fairly new to EV's. I am interpreting this situation as follows. Others, please correct me where I am wrong. Europe has had a couple of charging standards that never were implemented in the US (as far as I know). Perhaps the only standard in common in both Europe and the US is Chademo. Europe got the Mennekes connector (AND the system whereby you carry your own cable with you), and CCS2. The US got J1772 (Type 1) and CCS1 while Europe got the Mennekes (type 2) and CCS2. Because the European standards never (?) came to the US, there are no adapters sold in the US to mate Euro-style connectors to a NACS plug. Here in the US, I can easily find a CCS1 to NACS adapter (from Tesla) and J1772 adapters (came with Tesla). Nothing for the others.

That may make things particularly difficult for you. After searching the internet, I still haven't seen any adapters for sale, which probably means they are at least rare. You don't have a lot of US/European EV car swaps yet to build an infrastructure to support it.

Upvote 0
I have t
What adapters do you have? The first option, for CCS2 fast charging will require a CCS2 to NACS adapter. I see several for sale on the Internet, but make sure they are selling CCS2 (Europe) and not CCS1 (US). The second looks to be a Mennekes connector, also known as Type 2 or IEC 62196-2, which is a European AC standard. I do not know if there is an adapter plug, but I would consider looking for an entire cable replacement with a NACS end point.

I'm in the US and fairly new to EV's. I am interpreting this situation as follows. Others, please correct me where I am wrong. Europe has had a couple of charging standards that never were implemented in the US (as far as I know). Perhaps the only standard in common in both Europe and the US is Chademo. Europe got the Mennekes connector (AND the system whereby you carry your own cable with you), and CCS2. The US got J1772 (Type 1) and CCS1 while Europe got the Mennekes (type 2) and CCS2. Because the European standards never (?) came to the US, there are no adapters sold in the US to mate Euro-style connectors to a NACS plug. Here in the US, I can easily find a CCS1 to NACS adapter (from Tesla) and J1772 adapters (came with Tesla). Nothing for the others.

That may make things particularly difficult for you. After searching the internet, I still haven't seen any adapters for sale, which probably means they are at least rare. You don't have a lot of US/European EV car swaps yet to build an infrastructure to suppo

That may make things particularly difficult for you. After searching the internet, I still haven't seen any adapters for sale, which probably means they are at least rare. You don't have a lot of US/European EV car swaps yet to build an infrastructure to support it.
I have the CCS2 adapter but I went to the supercharger at Tesla and it did not work and the CCS is enabled on the car. The only one that worked was the DC charger but that’s the old one and is being switched to the new superchargers

Upvote 0