Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday in Ireland with the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to come to Ireland for a holiday next year.
Just checking how the situation is with charging now. We plan to arrive in Dublin with a Ferry, and then go to the west and south coast to come back to Dublin about 2 weeks later.

I have seen that the number of superchargers is limited.
My other charging cards are : Shell, Plugsurfing and Freshmile.
Will these do the job, or do I need a specific extra card that works well in Ireland (like you have ChargeplaceScotland which is almost unavoidable).

I also looked at some recommended hotels and there is not much available with charging possibilities. Is that expanding now?

The ecar connect app works well and there seems to be a fair few of them about the place. They've changed it recently though and it now requires a minimum of €10 (they probably got fed up of me leaving a debit balance on their app! 😄). You can use a UK debit card to add a balance. They will also post you a RFID card if you request one.

Seems that ecars is the most popular network.

That's what we used. But if you thought UK 3rd party charging was dire my experience of Ireland was much worse ... But hotels had an ecars (typically free), very slow (that's fine, I didn't need much, so overnight was OK), impossible to find in car park (but Plugshare and its crowd-sourced photos) told me where to look, and I reckon no one else had figured out to do that, so I had it to myself. Physically getting the car within reach of the socket, at one hotel, was a masterful feat - even if I say so myself!

Our final leg route back to ferry( so time-of-the-essence) involved using Ionity (involving a detour and very few stalls and, by the looks of charging history, queuing was often needed). Anyway, Tesla opened a Supercharger on that route the day before :) (keep [or maybe "get"??] your toll ticket to get back on without paying again) which was nice of them (sorry, can't guarantee the same service for you :) )

Reactions: Blackbelt
Some snippets from other threads (not specifically driving in Ireland) where I said something that might be relevant here

"Contactless"

The ones we tried in Ireland had contactless. Didn't work. Spoke to the guy at one of the services (where the charger was) and he said "Has never worked", reckoned that either they'd never commissioned it, or the mobile signal wasn't good enough ...

" I do a couple of ferry trips per month and just knock off the tilt alarm button"

I did that when we went to Ireland recently then sat up in the lounge several decks up with the cacophony of alarms going off on the car deck. Surprising that ferry doesn't announce "Disable alarm" or somesuch given this is an any-car issue

"You don’t need to use the UK sticker for Ireland"

Didn't know that thanks. Clearly loads of other people on the ferry didn't either! or they just leave theirs stuck on for frequent foreign travel. The shop at Holyhead didn't sell them so I drove to a couple of supermarkets nearby - they didn't have them either. Clearly all the shops knew not needed, but the store staff didn't and advised all sorts of places I might try to get one!
I had a GB sticker in the boot (pre BRexit!) and used that instead ... bought a handful form Amazon when I got home.
Remarkably inconsistency across EU ... e.g. need a sticker for e.g. Spain (regardless of whether you have UK on your number plate ...)

Thread from when we were planning an Ireland trip:

which includes my follow up Here's how it went post