Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Fremont Production Line Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Walla Walla, WA
The quarter production schedule has been discussed in detail but I haven't read anything about the Model Y production. Since Model Y from Fremont is not exported other than North America, does it fall under the same schedule as the other lines that change production to export for 2 months each quarter? There seems to be a big push for LR AWD Ys right now with other variants reportedly being put on hold til next quarter. Will those be produced throughout the quarter? If so, why the rush on one particular build? Seems like they could just continue to build as orders come in and not make this big push for a certain type of vehicle.

Reactions: sunshine3200
Since we are talking about Fremont production line, is it operating 24/7 at full capacity for the model y/3 production? If it's at full capacity, how can they push for more for end of quarter? I thought that end of quarter push just mean they focus on builts (maybe 100%) for the west coast states since it's quicker to deliver.

Reactions: sunshine3200
Tesla does not sell the Model Y in Europe until production begins in Berlin Mid-2021. Ref: Konfigurieren Sie Ihr Model Y | Tesla

Don't the 3 and Y share a production line at Fremont? If so, I think the M3 production for export overseas would impact MY production, even though the MYs are not being shipped globally from Fremont. But I could very well be totally misunderstanding how these two models are built.

This is why I am asking the question. Seems like a lot of misinformation. If they share a line then they aren't biulding any M3s right now because of the sheer number of MY that seem to be popping up around the country and all the confirmed VINs people on here are posting about. I have noticed inventory of LR MY has gone from about 300 cars nationwide at this time yesterday to over 900 right now. There are obviously lots of cars being built that are above what is being ordered.

Don't the 3 and Y share a production line at Fremont? If so, I think the M3 production for export overseas would impact MY production, even though the MYs are not being shipped globally from Fremont. But I could very well be totally misunderstanding how these two models are built.
Model 3 production for overseas is in first month of each quarter, then transport (takes time) and delivery in last month of each quarter. This is what I was reading somewhere. So current production is for US only. Or I'm wrong?

Last edited:
Thought I’d bring this back up. We’re in a new quarter and for the last 3 or so days there hasn’t been any model Y in inventory or new vins popping up. Maybe it’s the US holiday but I’d think there would be some type of influx of new vins
They are probably reviewing the data to see if Tesla Vision is mature enough so they can justify a 3 wheel Model Y. While charging a few grand more for the capability they'd be delivering for less weight.

Thought I’d bring this back up. We’re in a new quarter and for the last 3 or so days there hasn’t been any model Y in inventory or new vins popping up. Maybe it’s the US holiday but I’d think there would be some type of influx of new vins
I also think it’s strange that there are no model wise in inventory and you cannot get a hold of any SA Who is located in the bay area. Literally they Called me nonstop trying to have a take delivery on June 30 but July 1st rolls around and you can’t even get them on the phone very interesting.