Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model-Y Comprehensive Insurance Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm posting here because I have a RWD model Y coming soon and I plugged in my details for insurance. $4k annual!
I was gobsmacked. Turned out it's my address causing it. Even a postcode right next to me is $2k less.
What in earth is going on? I live in South West Sydney. This is killing me 😅

I'm posting here because I have a RWD model Y coming soon and I plugged in my details for insurance. $4k annual!
I was gobsmacked. Turned out it's my address causing it. Even a postcode right next to me is $2k less.
What in earth is going on? I live in South West Sydney. This is killing me 😅
Have you tried a few different insurers?

Sometimes one or a few will - through their own claims experience - find a particular suburb or area over-represented in vloume of claims, and therefore the rates in that area are increased as a result.

I got a quote to insure my 2016 Model S for $5,673.21 from RACV. And I got quotes for >$7k. $4k is a bargain...

Previously I choose a budget insurance policy (ING) and really regretted this when making an insurance claim, they lied about Tesla authorised repairers being on their official repairer list (should have asked for that in writing), they were terrible in dealing with the claim, terrible at decision making, terrible at getting back to me (I had to keep ringing them to see if there were updates), said said we were not at fault but kept hinting this could change, whole process took almost a year IIRC, etc.

But hard to tell, all car insurance companies have terrible (or few) comments if you look at sites like <Best Car Insurance in 2023 as reviewed by Australian consumers | ProductReview.com.au>.

Thanks for the responses. I cannot go through RACV unfortunately but I have managed to find NRMA is quite decently priced due to a no claims discount. If I did make a claim the premium would almost double, so whilst it's not great, it's better than $3.5 - 4k annually.

Here's the kicker. I put in my old address into many of the quotes which is one postcode away from my current location, to see what the price difference would be. The premiums reduced between $1-2k annually. That's insane to me.

It seems my current suburb is just really *sugar* when it comes to insurance claims 🙄

I went with Auspost comprehensive. $1.3k/year with $1300 excess for my MY RWD here in Wollongong. Waaaaay cheaper than anyone else when I compared quotes. Underwritten by QBE, so hopefully claiming and customer service will be OK.
Yikes. I hate my suburb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231020_125216_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231020_125216_Brave.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 66
I just want to move out of Sydney. I live in a new housing development area, super quiet and peaceful, but it's considered a part Liverpool. So I'm not surprised is thousands more expensive in insurance...
Totally off-topic, but we took that plunge (moving out of Sydney) at the end of 2016. I commute 1-2 times a week back into Sydney to work with certain clients, the rest is done remotely. Now that journey is done "on the sun" with the Tesla charged from solar at home.

Couldn't have made a better move, would do it again in a heartbeat.

Budget Direct claims process, for me - has been woeful. I have had to chase them up a number of times to find out where my claim is at. they didnt update details that I asked to be updated when i spoke to them over the phone. I wont be insuring with them again as a result.
They are a low risk insurer, and will often refuse to re-insure you if you make a claim.
My experience with Budget Direct has also been shocking. 30 years driving and not a single demerit point. Two claims one at fault and one no fault. The repair was disgusting with orange peel unmatched paint, poor fitting, reverse lights not working. Long list. BD only replied to my complaint after I left a negative review on ProductReview. Eventually they re-fixed the car…. And are now refusing to insure us again. I’m strongly do not recommend Budget Direct.

Reactions: OzMaximus