Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you recommend Tesla Model 3 for a P plater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm (28YO) getting my license and have to buy a car in advance so I can continue driving on my own immediately after passing the driving test. Would you recommend the Model 3 for a P-plater? Everyone keeps telling me to buy a dumpster on wheels as my first car... Even if I crash, wouldn't comprehensive insurance cover the repair?

Sorry if this was answered before, I really tried searching.

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert
Hi,

I'm (28YO) getting my license and have to buy a car in advance so I can continue driving on my own immediately after passing the driving test. Would you recommend the Model 3 for a P-plater? Everyone keeps telling me to buy a dumpster on wheels as my first car... Even if I crash, wouldn't comprehensive insurance cover the repair?

Sorry if this was answered before, I really tried searching.
The standard RWD is P Plate legal. It will come down to the cost of insurance and your willingness to pay a high premium for the first few years.
For what it is, it’s good value, now the prices have dropped and other running costs are low.
If you intend to keep it for a long time I think it makes sense, but if you’re going to keep looking for the latest thing every few years buy second hand.

I worry that a driver that has learnt solely on Tesla's may become dependent on one peddle driving.

i.e. when approaching an obstacle and the car isn't slowing down fast enough, I will automatically press the brake peddle.

But wonder if this would happen for somebody who is use to one peddle driving? e.g. either because they are driving a car that doesn't have one peddle driving or regenerative breaking is restricted for some reason.

(concern based on the number of "confused brake peddle and accelerator pedal" type fatal accidents that seem to be happening in recent years)

Reactions: JonDarian