Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Charging Options in a Townhouse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a MY and do not yet have at home charging. I live in a 4 story condo with dedicated on level parking (levels 3 &4). My neighborhood is older with many single family homes that have only street parking. I brought this to the attention of our city council rep and she is looking into a work group to look into the issue. I also approached my condo board about installing a common charging station as it would increase the value of our condos- they are willing to discuss it and placed me in charge of looking into it. You may tell your city council rep about street light chargers from Blink and Charge Point. The city of Los Angeles is using them downtown and expanding. Pricey but a viable option.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I bought a MY and do not yet have at home charging. I live in a 4 story condo with dedicated on level parking (levels 3 &4). My neighborhood is older with many single family homes that have only street parking. I brought this to the attention of our city council rep and she is looking into a work group to look into the issue. I also approached my condo board about installing a common charging station as it would increase the value of our condos- they are willing to discuss it and placed me in charge of looking into it. You may tell your city council rep about street light chargers from Blink and Charge Point. The city of Los Angeles is using them downtown and expanding. Pricey but a viable option.
This post, by Jeff Wilcox, might be of interest to you (or anyone else in a condo, looking at charging options): his story about bringing EV charging to his condo parking in Seattle -
My $6,000 Tesla Wall Connector: the story of bringing Electric Vehicle charging to a high-rise condo tower in Seattle - Jeff Wilcox

A cord cover would probably need to be bright orange or bright yellow. Even with that the HOA probably wouldn't go for it due to trip/fall liability. If there is an inexpensive way to run it under the walkway that would be best.

It's frustrating because it keeps folks who would really benefit from accessing EV. I would also say if you were able to install a charger pedestal at your parking spot, even though expensive, might be attractive to the new owner.

I’m in an ideal situation where I am at the far corner of a court and I have great neighbors who I get along with and wouldn’t make a fuss about it. I would put the cord away every morning so it would only be out at night.