Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model Y 82kW Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: Calculating Your Battery's Estimated Capacity Using the Car's Energy Screen
For new viewers wanting a step by step of the formula (or to plug it in somewhere (WolframAlpha URL or sheet).

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone's figured out a way to check without buying a bunch of cables. Like a label or something?
I've read that there may or may not be a label you can check under the car, that may or may not be visible due to the aerodynamic shields. It's discussed here somewhere I believe - 2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

Or it may or may not be under the cowling behind the frunk....

Re: Calculating Your Battery's Estimated Capacity Using the Car's Energy Screen
For new viewers wanting a step by step of the formula (or to plug it in somewhere (WolframAlpha URL or sheet).

According to this method I get 64.76 kWh which seems really low. I haven't taken a good trip in almost a year (thanks COVID!) so I suspect perhaps the battery just "doesn't know" its true capacity. I'm taking a 2500 mile trip in a few weeks and I'm hoping it will get better data and show improvement but I'll know soon... :(

I know I started this thread but honestly, I think we spend too much time stressing about and overthinking this stuff. Range anxiety, battery size, degradation.... I mean, if you drive locally you charge up at night at home, so none of this matters. If you take a trip, you stop to charge when the car says to, or use ABRP to figure out when you want to stop. Very few of us are driving from 100% to 5% in one fell swoop, and even if you did, that's still 280+ miles, or over 4 hours. And doing that isn't optimal as it doesn't necessarily minimize the amount of time you spend charging on a trip.

I know I started this thread but honestly, I think we spend too much time stressing about and overthinking this stuff. Range anxiety, battery size, degradation.... I mean, if you drive locally you charge up at night at home, so none of this matters. If you take a trip, you stop to charge when the car says to, or use ABRP to figure out when you want to stop. Very few of us are driving from 100% to 5% in one fell swoop, and even if you did, that's still 280+ miles, or over 4 hours. And doing that isn't optimal as it doesn't necessarily minimize the amount of time you spend charging on a trip.
Previously, I had a 2015 Model S 70D. With about 10% degredation after 200,000 miles, and supercharger throttling, road tripping was become a chore. However, now I have a Model Y LR, and I have found for road tripping I have reached a tipping point. The car has more range than I do (between bathroom and food breaks), and the car charges faster than I do (using the bathroom and getting coffee/food). So, essenially I am never waiting for the car to charge.

I am loving our new Model Y. I thought I’d have regret selling our 2019 Raven Standard Range S but the latest Y has much of the same amenities (heated steering wheel, HEPA) and some things our S didn’t have, such as wireless charging and reclining rear seats. The biggest improvement though is the extra range and 2x faster Supercharging, easily worth giving up free Supercharging.

I used to charger the S to 90% (240 miles) but only need to charge the Y to 70% for a similar range of 230 miles! The S looks better and has a better ride but the Y isn’t bad itself in both regards. 🙂

I totally agree and have never had a problem - I’ve learned to trust the process. For me, and I suspect many others, it’s just the idea battery capacity might degrade faster than normal and/or too much and we wouldn’t be able to quantify the change accurately. I would hope the car would notify me if there was an actual issue but I’m the “trust but verify” type. So while I’m not worried about it I would feel better having good data. But not to the extent I’m ready to install a reader, at least not at this point.

I am loving our new Model Y. I thought I’d have regret selling our 2019 Raven Standard Range S but the latest Y has much of the same amenities (heated steering wheel, HEPA) and some things our S didn’t have, such as wireless charging and reclining rear seats. The biggest improvement though is the extra range and 2x faster Supercharging, easily worth giving up free Supercharging.

I used to charger the S to 90% (240 miles) but only need to charge the Y to 70% for a similar range of 230 miles! The S looks better and has a better ride but the Y isn’t bad itself in both regards. 🙂
I feel the same when i sold my raven X recently to consolidate the fleet a little and got a Y.. The Y is just as good. have yet to road trip with it but I expect it will be just as good. I do love the 250KW charging compared to the X

Yes. I think all new owners go through this phase and it eventually goes away. Nearly everyone has to rely on automated tools to keep track of this stuff for them because it doesn't matter and they can't be bothered after they get past the initial phase.

I'm continually amazed at how little I spend charging vs gassing up with premium. I generally charge at work and use Superchargers occasionally. My charging session are a few dollars at most, like less than a single gallon of premium. I used to spend >$150/month in my old gasser for about the same 300 miles of range.

SC_charging_costs.jpg

Reactions: dyau and mrfeb14
I don’t think you need to scan. Just look at your energy chart in the car and multiply the wh/mi on the left by the range estimate right, then divide by the % battery you have at the time. Mine always comes in around the 78,200 to 78,900 range which would be the usable battery for the 82 kWh battery. At first the range showed 328 mi but now shows 326 mi.

I also have the Tessie app currently telling me 78.2 kWh Battery Capacity.

I have a March build, VIN 158XXX.
Just checking out the Tessi app - where does it show your battery capacity?

Just checking out the Tessi app - where does it show your battery capacity?
From their help is states it is an extrapolation so likely just using the same input and keeping track of it over time for a graph.

Notice how the two graphs below go hand in hand? [They match up very very closely. Unsure why there are two.] TeslaFI . COM has similar graph on the bottom for your car and for the TeslaFI 'fleet' for your model.

How is battery capacity and max range measured?
Max range is the range value displayed in your vehicle if it was charged to 100%.
Battery capacity is the "energy added" value displayed in your vehicle if you were to charge it from 0% to 100%.
Tessie continuously extrapolates these data points to monitor for changes in your battery.

app-battery.png

GSKyM6g.jpg

HLJO7Bs.jpg

Last edited: