Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 7 seater car seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of Model Y in few months. We have a 3 yr old and a second baby due soon. Can we put infant car seat rear facing in second row and front facing seat for the older kid in 3rd row? Main concerns: 1) Is access going to be an issue to get the older child out from front facing seat in 3rd row? 2) How is the leg room on passenger side in first row with rear facing infant car seat in second row?

You are better off putting them both in the 2nd row. The 3rd row is hardly 2 additional seats. It’ll be perfect for when your 3 year old gets out of the car seat, but I wouldn’t put a car seat in that space.
Thanks! Idea was to put the 3 yr old in 3rd seat so second row can be freed up to seat 2 adults (the grand parents) when needed. Is that not possible? Also, any thoughts on leg room for the mom in first row with rear facing infant seat in 2nd row?

Thanks! Idea was to put the 3 yr old in 3rd seat so second row can be freed up to seat 2 adults (the grand parents) when needed. Is that not possible? Also, any thoughts on leg room for the mom in first row with rear facing infant seat in 2nd row?
You could get to a kid in a car seat in the 3rd row, but it’ll require a bit of contorting. The 2nd row slides and tilts forward to allow access, but there’s not much room. As
others have noted, it might be easier getting them in/out of the 3rd row from the rear hatch. Should also note, there’s no LATCH anchors in the 3rd row so you’d have to secure the seat using the seat belt.

In terms of passenger side legroom with a car seat behind it in the 2nd row. you should be fine. The second row has quite a bit of legroom and the two sections of the 2nd row can be slid forward/backward independently.

Last edited:
It’s possible, But most likely you’d have to put them in thru the hatch like stated above. I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I use the seatbelt and rear seat anchor to attach. I also usually keep the middle section folded down so I can keep an eye on my 2 year old. Can be cramped For person in front of car seat depending on how big your infant seat, but works for us when we need to take an extra person with us.
847BE669-8D06-471B-9E9B-C1DD29E07688.jpeg

Reactions: TMYB-C1
I would probably place the less frequently travelling occupants in the third row to minimize any risk if you're rear ended.
Perhaps child seats would be better back there due to their added safety and smaller size of the occupant but I would hate to be in a situation where I cannot quickly get to my child. Smaller 3rd row SUVs are in an odd place.

Rear end accidents greater than low speeds are almost rare but they do still happen and the lower floor height of the Model Y does not help keep many collisions focused on the rear crash bar.

Taking delivery of Model Y in few months. We have a 3 yr old and a second baby due soon. Can we put infant car seat rear facing in second row and front facing seat for the older kid in 3rd row? Main concerns: 1) Is access going to be an issue to get the older child out from front facing seat in 3rd row? 2) How is the leg room on passenger side in first row with rear facing infant car seat in second row?
Why not take the car seat and infant seat to your local SC and let a SA show you the best way to place them in a MY?
The three year old will remember exactly how to do it when both the new baby and your vehicle arrives.

Digging up an old thread, but has anyone seen any safety wins or losses on the third row in the Y? Thinking about putting my 4 year old back there in a booster in some situations when there are lots of other passengers in the vehicle.
knock on wood haven't had any issues so far with a 4, 6, 8, or 10 year old (now 11)

the high back boosters with the 5 point harness is probably easier for kids to buckle (than a booster) themselves because of Tesla's belt buckle way down in the hole configuration but mine have still managed either way..

for a 4 year old i'd imagine you'd have the high back booster though which is pretty easy and the egress through the trunk is nice to avoid door dings in the parking lots

Reactions: HyperionMark