Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X optional tailpipe speaker and fog light speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a brainstorm. One could make this entirely self-contained working off a 12V source in the frunk with a simple light sensor (or current sensor) to detect a high-beam flash. Want to ring the bell? Flash the high beams. On the highway, nobody will hear it (probably not even in the car), but driving slowly in a parking lot or side street? Perfect, and no need to run any wires or switched inside the cabin.

hmmm. interesting idea. only thing is that I use it on the freeway/highways when I am passing bikers too. bicycles are allowed on every road in Humboldt:smile:! I'd hate to be flashing oncoming cars like that. I have also used it as I pass CHP or others on the shoulder when I need to slow down for them or construction zones. Gets interesting looks sometimes.

The loud thump as you hit the pedestrian followed by the more sharp and crisp sound of the femur breaking is enough for me.

Also, good thing the law soon comes in to effect. I'm sure everyone have read the horrendous headlines and statistics of tens if not hundreds of pedestrians injured by Teslas and other EVs so far in the last two years.

This is not as bad as it looks. There is already active noise cancellation technology that measures ambient noise and generates an equal and negative frequency noise to cancel it out. Many headphones have this and it works great with continuous noise such as aircraft engine noise in the cabin.

They are implementing it to cars. There are already some examples. The good thing is, this will also cancel any tire and motor noise in Teslas, effectively making the car quieter than it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but this is a silly idea. If you want your car to emit v12 sounds (or any sounds for that matter), there are plenty of aftermarket solutions (ask Dr Taras).

As for the issue of pedestrians, I will admit that the car is quite quiet, but the tires still do make noise. I recently stayed at a campground, and while I did "sneak up" on someone walking down a path, I noticed that other ICE vehicles were almost as quiet at the same speeds (6-8 MPH was the limit there). So this really isn't an EV-only issue.

I've noticed that since I started driving an EV, I check more carefully for pedestrians, etc than when driving my old ICE.
So the fact that the EV is silent has made me a better driver.

It will not make any difference if you have noise or not, yesterday I was driving my Ford F-150 down our road and some guy was walking in the middle of the road with his iPod plugged into both ears and I pulled up behind him and stopped. Eventually he turned around and walked off to the side of the road with a stupid grin on his face, so you cannot produce something that will prevent stupid people from doing stupid things.

Yes, and with a silly sound outside, kids will also run on the the street, because they are still kids.

So the aim shoutldn't be a generated sound, that eliminates one of the major benefits of EVs, the silence.
First the driver should be more carefull and second, the electronic prevantion-systems should be the final aim.
Like radar or sthg else.

Greetings Earl

I'm of the opinion that EV's should have a "pedestrian sound" at low speeds and when in reverse. Whether or not people do stupid things is a separate issue. Whether or not people should be better drivers is a separate issue. There are plenty of situations which involve a busy mix of distracted motorists and pedestrians, such as parking lots and parking garages. If I injure someone, it's of little consolation to either party that they or I should have been paying better attention when a minimally intrusive sound could have averted the problem.

I'm currently driving a LEAF and I think they got the pedestrian sound just about right. At speeds of over 15mph or so tire noise predominates externally anyway so the generated sound turns off and I enjoy my quiet ride for the vast majority of the time I'm in the car, while being responsibly noticeable when appropriate.

I'm of the opinion that EV's should have a "pedestrian sound" at low speeds and when in reverse. Whether or not people do stupid things is a separate issue. Whether or not people should be better drivers is a separate issue. There are plenty of situations which involve a busy mix of distracted motorists and pedestrians, such as parking lots and parking garages. If I injure someone, it's of little consolation to either party that they or I should have been paying better attention when a minimally intrusive sound could have averted the problem.

I'm currently driving a LEAF and I think they got the pedestrian sound just about right. At speeds of over 15mph or so tire noise predominates externally anyway so the generated sound turns off and I enjoy my quiet ride for the vast majority of the time I'm in the car, while being responsibly noticeable when appropriate.
I think all pedestrians should be required to wear and activate a bicycle bell every time they step onto a paved surface. Seems fair. After all, paved surfaces are for vehicles primarily; humans are more comfortable walking on soft grass.

Im curious why you only single out EVs. Why not any vehicle that makes less than a certain defined limit of noise?

Im curious why you only single out EVs. Why not any vehicle that makes less than a certain defined limit of noise?

That's certainly follows and is a reasonable point. I'm not familiar with the actual sound pressure created by various vehicles and was just making a general assumption regarding EVs. But if there are ICE that approach EV sound levels then I'd consider the same approach to be valid for those as well. If I'm not mistaken, the U.K. has either enacted or is considering such a thing.

That's certainly follows and is a reasonable point. I'm not familiar with the actual sound pressure created by various vehicles and was just making a general assumption regarding EVs. But if there are ICE that approach EV sound levels then I'd consider the same approach to be valid for those as well.

Our Main Street here has a 15mph limit and most every car is pretty silent. While I can empathize with the principle of 'safety first' I think the reality of sensible implementation is unworkable.

Our Main Street here has a 15mph limit and most every car is pretty silent. While I can empathize with the principle of 'safety first' I think the reality of sensible implementation is unworkable.

It's actually quite simple. A small speaker provides the sound and the electronics are trivial. As I said, my LEAF does this quite well in my opinion. I also was opposed to the idea initially and didn't want a "noisemaker" destroying the silence of my EV. But after getting the car it's simply not a problem. I can barely hear it with the windows up. With the windows down it's mildly noticeable but not unpleasant. Likewise from a bystander's position it's noticeable but not unpleasant. I wouldn't be bothered at all to drive down your Main St, nor would I be bothered to walk down it while a parade of LEAFs drove by. It's simply not a big deal.

To be fair, there are plenty of LEAF owners who are strongly against the VSP (Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians), and DIYs on how to disable it. I can't imagine that many of them are truly driven to this by the rather innocuous sound. It seems to be more of an ideological oppositition to governmental legislation. In my view, the VSP is justified. I can think of any number of situations where it can prevent grief.

Consider a busy parking lot. Your head is on a swivel looking for a spot to park; there are pedestrians approaching at all angles, from between parked cars, other moving vehicles, and sight lines are minimal. Now imagine a harried parent with packages and doing their best to get themselves and a child safely back to their car. Despite the best of intentions and utmost integrity intelligence and virtue of all parties, this situation is frought with danger. A minor sound can help someone locate the position and direction of your vehicle before they ever see it. In this case, the "Nanny State" is on the right side. One man's opinion.