Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X optional tailpipe speaker and fog light speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about for the blind? I know its silly to make exceptions, but what is the argument to that?

There hasn't been an issue with hybrids running electric up to now - or super quiet ICE. As a couple of blind friends that I used to work with tell me that they hear the tires on the pavement (just like I the noise I hear in the Roadster). The cars are not without noise. I think the whole 'we need engine noise present for safety' thing is just FUD from the ICE manufacturers.

in NYC half the pedestrians are walking around with earplugs in or those big Bose noise canceling headphones. They can walk out in front of a big dump truck and not even hear it. its pointless really to even try and mitigate the problem. the problem is simply pedestrians not paying attention. the EV owner shouldn't have to sacrifice luxury for the pedestrian's idiocy.

- - - Updated - - -

Annoyingly this is coming.... (I like the near silence)...

However the European Commission has already mandated it within the next 5 years.... and other countries are following it seems...

BTW, the US also already mandated noisemakers in EVs. it's being phased in, with the first phase less than 3 months away (September 2014) with full implementation in all EVs by 2018.

so far that legislature has not been challenged and is fully scheduled to go in effect.

I am sometimes worry EV too quite that pedestrians and people riding bicycle can't hear the car is coming.

I'm sorry this is a completely stupid Idea. It's like putting a Horse manure smell device on a gas car so it will more closely resemble it's more primitive version.

I currently have over 30k miles on a Nissan Leaf and the hitting blind people & people riding bikes is a complete non-Issue.

By law (& by common sense) it's the drivers responsibility not to hit people. If someone walks out in front of you just tap the horn. If they ever try to mandate sound on EVs they also should put sound on luxury ICE cars that are almost silent at low speeds. If you like the silly speakers you can always go buy a Fisker Karma.

If Tesla finally doesn't provide this option, I would like to make this for Model X. Anyone want to develop this product together?

If you make this I'll laugh at you.

"Speakers on cars are unnecessary noise pollution" -Elon Musk

Last edited:
What I mean is that this "tailpipe speaker" is not a standard equipment for Model X, but only an option, obviously not all people need it, just like the 3rd row seat, which really not everybody need it; some people hate it but some love it to dead. So if there are someone, even a small percentage like this type of speakers, then we should make it as an option. The best thing is that we have a choice.

Besides, I didn't mean this tailpipe speaker is "always on" and "always loud volume". The volume is adjustable, no different from other internal speaker, but these are external, I want to make them cool and have different purpose then internal ones.

It's not only to make engine noise, but also use like "bluetooth or airplay speaker". Model X is CUV, I suppose many people will drive anywhere, including outdoor, national parks, or even adventures somewhere and across the country; if there are "external speakers", listening to music or radio will be great, when you setting up a camp, or just have meals outside the car.

Certainly, music can be noise pollution if you don't like it; but I believe some people who drive a Ferrari or Porsche really love their engine noise more than music, but it may be noise pollution for some other people too.

I'm sorry this is a completely stupid Idea. It's like putting a Horse manure smell device on a gas car so it will more closely resemble it's more primitive version.

I currently have over 30k miles on a Nissan Leaf and the hitting blind people & people riding bikes is a complete non-Issue.

By law (& by common sense) it's the drivers responsibility not to hit people. If someone walks out in front of you just tap the horn. If they ever try to mandate sound on EVs they also should put sound on luxury ICE cars that are almost silent at low speeds. If you like the silly speakers you can always go buy a Fisker Karma.

If you make this I'll laugh at you.

"Speakers on cars are unnecessary noise pollution" -Elon Musk

I submit that a national park is the perfect place for an EV, so you don't disturb the nature.

LOL, It might be more practical to tape some Bluetooth speakers to the back of your car.

People that love the sound of combustion engines are the modern day Neanderthal. They are currently on a course of extinction. After all, oil is a finite resource. #PeakOil

BTW, the US also already mandated noisemakers in EVs. it's being phased in, with the first phase less than 3 months away (September 2014) with full implementation in all EVs by 2018.

so far that legislature has not been challenged and is fully scheduled to go in effect.

Sad, but true...

Here is a reference: Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 was approved by the U.S. Senate by unanimous consent on December 9, 2010 and passed by the House of Representatives by 379 to 30 on December 16, 2010. The act does not stipulate a specific speed for the simulated noise but requires the U.S. Department of Transportation to study and establish a motor vehicle safety standard that would set requirements for an alert sound that allows blind and other pedestrians to reasonably detect a nearby electric or hybrid vehicle, and the ruling must be finalized within eighteen months. The bill was signed into law by President Barack Obama on January 4, 2011.

A proposed rule was published for comment by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in January, 2013. It would require hybrids and electric vehicles traveling at less than 18.6 miles per hour (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The agency selected 30 km/h as the limit because according to NHTSA measurements, this is the speed at which the sound levels of the hybrid and electric vehicles approximated the sound levels produced by similar internal combustion vehicles. According to the NHTSA proposal, carmakers would be able to pick the sounds the vehicles make from a range of choices, and similar vehicles would have to make the same sounds. The rules are scheduled to go into effect in September 2014. The NHTSA estimates that the new warning noises would prevent 2,800 pedestrian and cyclist injuries during the life of each model year electric and hybrid vehicle.

In February 2013, the Association of Global Automakers and the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which submitted a joint comment to the NHTSA, announced their support to the rule, but asked the NHTSA to find a noise level that effectively alerts pedestrians without being excessively loud to others inside and outside of the vehicle. They also commented that the rule is too complicated, unnecessarily prescriptive, and it will cost more than necessary. Some automakers also said there is no need for electric-drive vehicles to play sounds while not in motion, "since it is not clear that it helps pedestrians to hear cars that are stopped in traffic or parked." In addition, the carmakers requested the NHTSA to make the new sound system required by 2018 instead of 2014.

Sorry, but this is a silly idea. If you want your car to emit v12 sounds (or any sounds for that matter), there are plenty of aftermarket solutions (ask Dr Taras).

As for the issue of pedestrians, I will admit that the car is quite quiet, but the tires still do make noise. I recently stayed at a campground, and while I did "sneak up" on someone walking down a path, I noticed that other ICE vehicles were almost as quiet at the same speeds (6-8 MPH was the limit there). So this really isn't an EV-only issue.

I know I'v posted this quite a few times but it does work pretty well. + confused people a little bit :wink:

still haven't gone wireless with it yet or made a new hammer. maybe someday

- - - Updated - - -

That is sad, I have never had a problem and always slow down until they hear me and as you get closer they can hear the tire noise. ...
this does not seem to work for me? deaf & dumb people here. on their cell phones!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought we were going with "PT?"
Princess Bonnie

- - - Updated - - -

I know I'v posted this quite a few times but it does work pretty well. + confused people a little bit :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

this does not seem to work for me? deaf & dumb people here. on their cell phones!
Deaf people cannot hear anything and if you are walking and on your cell phone and not paying attention why do we have to pollute with more noise.

I was just shopping at the local grocery store and as I walked outside I thought about this thread. Three cars were moving to the left and two to the right and there were a couple more waiting to get into the main traffic lane. I was just thinking if all these cars were EV and were all beeping or making some other noise how annoying it would be. I can see future laws being written to ban the noise makers because of the disturbances it causes in a parking lot.

Just had a brainstorm. One could make this entirely self-contained working off a 12V source in the frunk with a simple light sensor (or current sensor) to detect a high-beam flash. Want to ring the bell? Flash the high beams. On the highway, nobody will hear it (probably not even in the car), but driving slowly in a parking lot or side street? Perfect, and no need to run any wires or switched inside the cabin.

I was just shopping at the local grocery store and as I walked outside I thought about this thread. Three cars were moving to the left and two to the right and there were a couple more waiting to get into the main traffic lane. I was just thinking if all these cars were EV and were all beeping or making some other noise how annoying it would be. I can see future laws being written to ban the noise makers because of the disturbances it causes in a parking lot.

Imagine the day where every car in all of NYC is an EV and they are all stopped in traffic (which is reality all day every day) and a million cars (bad guesstimate) all within a 5 mile radius are emitting these sounds. It would probably be so loud that everyone's ear drums would be permanently damaged. You know what the 17 year cicada's sound like? Right? One individual cicada is nothing. But millions of them surrounding you is deafening. Whoever dreamt up that noisemaker legislation should be shot and thrown off a cliff because they are too dumb to live.

In addition, the carmakers requested the NHTSA to make the new sound system required by 2018 instead of 2014.[/I]​
January, 2018 - "STFU Incorporated" was formed to provide the aftermarket service of removing this ridiculous requirement from registered vehicles in the Fremont, CA area. The company is non-profit but accepts tips and anecdotes as an informal form of payment. They are considering expanding to other locations in the near future.