Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed how frisky Nigel and Bonnie have become since being freed from the bonds of moderatorship?

I don't see a change. I still see them rather derailing the talk with cheeky comments than actually participating in the mule content. ;)

Of course, I know you were joking and I am too. :) But taking it serious for a moment, vis-à-vis the Model X:

I would very much welcome the long experience of more senior members and their effort into some analysis of what we're seeing of the Model X. I know for whatever reason many don't want to, and that's their call of course.

Why not at least consider putting yourself back out there, trying to actually make sense of what we're seeing with the rest of us. I get it that some feel it hurts Tesla, or is pointless because analyzing the progress isn't necessarily indicative of the end-result, but again just my opinion.

The more eyes and brains we have on this, the better our talk would be. Long past experience and perhaps personal contacts (even if they currently wouldn't be talking) would surely offer some unique views we're not currently getting in the conversation. I think it would benefit the TMC community and definitely would be appreciated.

I don't see a change. I still see them rather derailing the talk with cheeky comments than actually participating in the mule content. ;)

Of course, I know you were joking and I am too. :) But taking it serious for a moment, vis-à-vis the Model X:

I would very much welcome the long experience of more senior members and their effort into some analysis of what we're seeing of the Model X. I know for whatever reason many don't want to, and that's their call of course.

Why not at least consider putting yourself back out there, trying to actually make sense of what we're seeing with the rest of us. I get it that some feel it hurts Tesla, or is pointless because analyzing the progress isn't necessarily indicative of the end-result, but again just my opinion.

The more eyes and brains we have on this, the better our talk would be. Long past experience and perhaps personal contacts (even if they currently wouldn't be talking) would surely offer some unique views we're not currently getting in the conversation. I think it would benefit the TMC community and definitely would be appreciated.

You need an intervention :).

By the way, I have shared my opinion. You've dismissed it (which is your right, of course). I've stated my reasons why, but you've wanted to know more. It just seems like this vortex that keeps wanting MORE info MORE info ... and I'd rather talk about beekeeping and such. I'm allowed my own interests. Tesla will deliver my Model X 'soonish'. In the meantime, it's a beautiful time of year here and I'm enjoying it.

As far as senior members putting themselves out there, I don't have to defend what I give to this community. Nor does someone like Nigel. I've put myself out there and continue to do so. Just not on a discussion about interpreting photo pixels and such.

- - - Updated - - -

And as far as sharing any conversations with personal contacts ... that is not going to happen. My personal friendships & conversations are not fodder to be dissected on a forum. Sorry.

Are there frontal corner cameras inside the fog light enclosure - middle of the vertical slits?

Tesla Model X spy art -- Automotive News Photo Gallery

Similar to BMW:

BMW 7 Series Sedan : Camera systems

- - - Updated - - -

goneskiian: That is, indeed, an interesting angle. One thing that I find interesting is the rear window lower part. I speculated some time ago from some earlier mule photos if that area is hiding something significant, like some sensors or perhaps even a speed-activated spoiler like Audi A7.

Has that mule ("Spy Art") got the Next Gen Headlights?

First, think about the definition of "mule" for a moment. Second, Tesla has said themselves that they've had beta versions around since last fall.

Before we can engage in any serious analysis we'd need to know whether we're seeing mules in any sort of chronological order and we'd need to know whether we're looking at mules or advanced prototypes. These mules are on the roads because they're being tested for different things, aerodynamics, handling, weight, range, towing etc. so each mule could well be thrown together to test one or more components and/or combinations thereof.

Sorry but what we're doing here is not "analysis", it's "speculation". It's fun speculation though and no reason why folks shouldn't have a good time. It is also exciting to see these spy shots because it means Tesla is moving forward and that I'll likely really get my Model X this summer/fall.

Long past experience and perhaps personal contacts (even if they currently wouldn't be talking) would surely offer some unique views we're not currently getting in the conversation.

My "long past experience" tells me we're having fun killing time here but we shouldn't get too caught up in our own "analysis". Tesla understandably is keeping info tight on this one and I'll confirm right here that I've not heard anything that would add to this conversation; I'll also say though that if I was ever told anything in confidence I wouldn't share it here, that would be bad form and my friendships wouldn't last very long.

Sorry but what we're doing here is not "analysis", it's "speculation". It's fun speculation though and no reason why folks shouldn't have a good time. It is also exciting to see these spy shots because it means Tesla is moving forward and that I'll likely really get my Model X this summer/fall.

If it is any consolation, I probably dislike and disagree with your (and bonnie's) use of the word "speculation" as much as you guys dislike my use of "analysis". ;)

If it is any consolation, I probably dislike and disagree with your (and bonnie's) use of the word "speculation" as much as you guys dislike my use of "analysis". ;)

I typically think of 'analysis' as a deep dive based on facts. I think of 'speculation' as guessing, based on very few actual facts. When Tesla announces 'this is the final production version and here are the specifications', we will have facts. Right now, I see a lot of guessing.

And hence my stubborn insistence of calling all this picking apart and then drawing conclusions as speculation, when we do not have facts.

Obviously making claims of what the final product is / would be is speculation. Analyzing what we are seeing now of the development process, not so much.

There is both analysis and speculation at play, of course. But not just one or the other.

Words like "guess" just belittle genuine efforts to make sense of the available data - maybe that's the idea, though, as some people truly seem to dislike the idea of raining on Tesla's parade somehow in the process.

I don't dislike your your use of the word "analysis" at all; I simply disagree with it as a valid description of what one is able to do with these random spy shots so please don't pick a fight after you asked for input.

We're all free to speculate on the myriad of unknowns (and last time I checked we're also free not to engage), but analyzing unknowns is kinda difficult.

Well there are "there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know. ". Donald Rumsfeld 2002

I don't dislike your your use of the word "analysis" at all; I simply disagree with it as a valid description of what one is able to do with these random spy shots so please don't pick a fight after you asked for input.

We're all free to speculate on the myriad of unknowns (and last time I checked we're also free not to engage), but analyzing unknowns is kinda difficult.

@Bonnie & Nigel - +1

Now now, instead of all this meta talk, I challenge all to come and analyze what the Model X mule ground clearance is and then speculate on what it may mean for the ground clearance of the final product. :)

In the nicest possible way (see I'm using a smiley face at the end of this), it's impossible to accept that challenge because the "mules" are, well, mules and we've seen them with several different sets of wheels and we have zero idea if they had air suspension of not and, if they did, how high it was set; that's four variables to speculate over right there. Sorry, I'm going to leave you on this one. :)

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. I think the A pillar video screen transparent discussion ended up here.

Anyways I was driving in the rain today watching the water droplets slide back the car and seeing the turbulent areas on the side windows from the mirrors. Hoping they can get rid of the mirrors on the X. Then I used the mirror to change lanes and I thought "how cool would it be to have the mirror projected onto the lower portion of the A pillar".

Then I remembered the tinfoil looking wrap on the spy photo of the white X.

In the nicest possible way (see I'm using a smiley face at the end of this), it's impossible to accept that challenge because the "mules" are, well, mules and we've seen them with several different sets of wheels and we have zero idea if they had air suspension of not and, if they did, how high it was set; that's four variables to speculate over right there. Sorry, I'm going to leave you on this one. :)

That's perfectly fair. I'm not expecting anyone (not even myself) to take part in every possible thread and "analytics" (whatever one wants to call it). :)

Now now, instead of all this meta talk, I challenge all to come and analyze what the Model X mule ground clearance is and then speculate on what it may mean for the ground clearance of the final product. :)

Ground clearance - X and S look similar, now that pics of the mules are out and about

Hold on a tick! Isn't this ground clearance thing between the S and X being beaten up to death in another thread (that I just left).. Thought this had to do with X spotting????

I drove down 280 and then back north earlier today - I was scanning every vehicle I could see in both directions, but nothing :mad:

I was hoping to see one of these Mules, finally. (you could consider this akin to the 'I haven't received 6.X yet' postings!)

We appreciate your efforts, we really do. Now keep doing this every day and we'll reward your efforts with lots of wild speculation based on your observations. :)