Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X falcon door hitting everything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I just purchased a model x 2022 model. My falcon door keep on hitting cars, people and anything else which is near by. This is unlike the video’s posted on YouTube and some by tesla showing how intelligent the car is and can detect things and adjust the opening of the falcon wings without hitting anything. I gave my car to tesla service station to look into this and they came back saying the cars falcon doors are opening as per designed and the doors will hit if anything is close. As per tesla service reps, I should be extra careful when opening the falcon doors and should halt their opening if I see anything close. Now I go to my sons middle school to pick him up and it is not always possible to keep on wondering if the cars falcon door is going to hit another small kid or car nearby.

We are extremely frustrated and disappointed and do not know what to do. This is $115k + car and I was really hoping that this would be a dream car.

Hi

I just purchased a model x 2022 model. My falcon door keep on hitting cars, people and anything else which is near by. This is unlike the video’s posted on YouTube and some by tesla showing how intelligent the car is and can detect things and adjust the opening of the falcon wings without hitting anything. I gave my car to tesla service station to look into this and they came back saying the cars falcon doors are opening as per designed and the doors will hit if anything is close. As per tesla service reps, I should be extra careful when opening the falcon doors and should halt their opening if I see anything close. Now I go to my sons middle school to pick him up and it is not always possible to keep on wondering if the cars falcon door is going to hit another small kid or car nearby.

We are extremely frustrated and disappointed and do not know what to do. This is $115k + car and I was really hoping that this would be a dream car.
Do the FWDs sense anything?
If not, document the issue and then schedule service.
20190929_144007_5922.JPG

Last edited:
If someone is standing next to the door, you will see the obstacle detected lines as shown in the screenshot so it won't open. You can easily test this yourself. I am suspecting your "hitting on everything" is more of the edge cases, like someone is approaching from front or rear while your door is already opening, or hitting a car / mirror in slanted/angled parking lots. There are many edge cases the sensors don't detect obstacles and you need to be aware of such situation, unfortunately. I don't let my small kids open the doors themselves. Always beware of the surrounding before operating the door, like if strangers are approaching from the front or rear next to you, getting into their cars parked next to you etc., don't use the doors until they are clear. This is from experience for having a X since 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and henderrj
Out of curiosity where are the sensors on the FWDs? I have kind of the opposite issue from the OP where my passenger FWD shows something is close when there is absolutely nothing in its way and always halts opening.
Before beginning the dent repair, Suggs reveals where sensors are located on the doors, using another Model X that was also in for repair. There are ultrasonic sensors along the bottom edge of each door but the real secret is found in the middle of the door. There are “three little pods” — sonar sensors that control how much the door hinges in the middle as it opens. They tell the central computer how far the door can extend away from the body of the car without encountering an obstacle.

• Informative
Reactions: nBar5EV1 and croman