Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Captain's Chairs and Nuna Aace Booster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have the Nuna Aace booster seat? We have 2 (one in each car), and after moving from my wife's X5 to the MX, there is VERY little room between the seat and belt buckle. We are also using the Munchkin Brica Car Seat Protectors, and I may try removing this and trying just the booster itself.

It seems the Nuna is a fairly wide booster and the 2nd row chairs are rather narrow.

Don't have answer for you, but I feel you. I have a Clek Olli backless booster and between the narrow 2nd row seat and the recessed buckle makes it extremely hard for my daughter to connect the buckle tongue into it. Really wish Tesla would stop doing these recessed buckles or at lease make the seat a bit wider.

I like the Clek Ollie because of the extra padding for the kids, but I have to look for a new backless booster that works better with the MX 2nd row captain's chair now

Reactions: sarugby4life
Don't have answer for you, but I feel you. I have a Clek Olli backless booster and between the narrow 2nd row seat and the recessed buckle makes it extremely hard for my daughter to connect the buckle tongue into it. Really wish Tesla would stop doing these recessed buckles or at lease make the seat a bit wider.

I like the Clek Ollie because of the extra padding for the kids, but I have to look for a new backless booster that works better with the MX 2nd row captain's chair now
Glad I'm not the only one. And yep I think I'm going to have to look for a narrower booster seat. Possibly the Maxi Cosi Rodifix or Britax...if you have suggestions let me know!

I just got off the phone with the company we have used for years for al things baby/kid. They were very aware of this issue with not only the Aace, but a lot of the wider booster seats. The recessed buckles are what make this even more challenging.

Someone on the forums had actually suggested this same booster seat for the MX, and now I see why. I guess I'll be ordering one :)

Lol, I've tired most of those. The 2nd one looks like a replica of the Peg Perego Viaggio flex. I have that one too (somewhere), not much cushion on the button so I'm a bit concerned for longer rides. The 3rd I tried a similar belt position product as well. Didn't feel safe, even if used in a pinch during travel.

Reactions: SistaBigBones
Lol, I've tired most of those. The 2nd one looks like a replica of the Peg Perego Viaggio flex. I have that one too (somewhere), not much cushion on the button so I'm a bit concerned for longer rides. The 3rd I tried a similar belt position product as well. Didn't feel safe, even if used in a pinch during travel.
I think the second one IS the Peg Perego Viaggio Flex and what they recommend. If you have already tried this, maybe I’ll wait for you to say you found one that is better.

I'm currently using a Diono Radian 3QXT as a booster for my 6yr. Recently removed the harness and using the car's seatbelt. It seems to fit okay on the MX 2nd row captain's chair (we did a test check before ordering the MXP). She's able to easily unbuckle. Buckling, I'd probably say 90% of the time she's able to do it herself. Sometimes she struggles with the recessed buckle.

I don't have a good option yet for when I eventually transition her to a backless booster. The Clek Olli, I think is great because it has the most seat cushion I've seen. My son didn't have any issues on long 10-12 hour drive sitting in these when he was younger. The problem is that the ridged latch doesn't seem to work well with the MX 2nd row captain's chair (perhaps the anchors are more narrow due to the narrow seat). And the arm rest partially blocks the recessed buckle. I would consider a buckle extension if Tesla provided a safety tested one (have read too many horror stories on no-name-brand buckle extensions failing in crashes, so I don't see them as an option). I hate to admit it, but I probably won't be able to use the Cleck Olli on the MX and will have to find another option when she's ready to move to backless booster.

Last edited:
The main issue with Tesla seats isn’t only the recessed buckle but the “bolster” on the sides of the seats which makes them narrow. If it wasn’t such a high bolster it wouldn’t be as bad of an issue. We have a cheap booster seat from Halfords (UK) for our 9 year old and that works a treat as it tapers to a narrow base. The 3 year olds high back booster (he is a big lad) is a nightmare. I haven’t found a narrow one which fits well.

Reactions: awd_rails
I actually settled on the Peg Perego Viaggio Flex 120, and it works MUCH better as a high back booster in the MX 6 seat. The chair is much more narrow but still highly adjustable and so far seems comfortable.
How's it going with the Viaggio Flex? I tried the Flex 120 and the Shuttle Plus 120 and they were the closest we came to a solution for our 6-seater... But we ended up having an issue with the X's shoulder belt getting jammed in the Flex 120's and SP 120's headrest router/guide for the seatbelt shoulder strap. Once the seatbelt's shoulder strap was in the router/guide, the belt would work its way into the slot at the top of the router, and then wouldn't reliability, quickly, or completely retract to tight without some sort of human intervention. I saw in one of the forums someone that seemed to "solve" that problem by not putting the shoulder belt in the router/guide, but not sure that's safe. I have an email into Peg Perego to confirm...

How's it going with the Viaggio Flex? I tried the Flex 120 and the Shuttle Plus 120 and they were the closest we came to a solution for our 6-seater... But we ended up having an issue with the X's shoulder belt getting jammed in the Flex 120's and SP 120's headrest router/guide for the seatbelt shoulder strap. Once the seatbelt's shoulder strap was in the router/guide, the belt would work its way into the slot at the top of the router, and then wouldn't reliability, quickly, or completely retract to tight without some sort of human intervention. I saw in one of the forums someone that seemed to "solve" that problem by not putting the shoulder belt in the router/guide, but not sure that's safe. I have an email into Peg Perego to confirm...
Hey there! So far so good! I’ll have to take a closer look at the potential issues you mention - I think I understand what you were facing. How high was the headrest on the seats you used?

Do you have any photos better outlining the issue?

Hey there! So far so good! I’ll have to take a closer look at the potential issues you mention - I think I understand what you were facing. How high was the headrest on the seats you used?

Do you have any photos better outlining the issue?
For sure! Picture attached and video linked to below. Unfortunately, we tried the headrest at every possible position and ran into the same trouble....

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpeg
    IMG_1665.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 35
I see what you mean now. And you had the same issue with the Flex? I typically will pull my son’s belt tight once he’s buckled in.

Did you get an answer from Peg Perego about the belt falling out of the guide?
I did have the same issue with both seats. And have the same thing happening in our 2023 Model Y, although the problem is less consistent. Peg wanted videos and pictures of my kiddo in the seat in the Model X, to rule out incorrect sizing of the seat to my kiddo. Important consideration but kind of non-sensical relative to the issue with the seatbelt — unless that height setting is secretly not supposed to be used at all, that height setting doesn’t work in this car with or without a kiddo. Will send the pictures in when I get chance. But in the mean time, I’m confident the seat is the correct height for my kiddo, and more importantly I’ve tried every single height setting the Pegs have and the issue persists at all of the possible heights.