Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S with GE Wattstation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
300 linear feet of 4 gauge conduit (across garage and down one floor) to my parking spaces. A lockable disconnect box. A lockable 6-50 outlet. To the GE Wattstation between my 2 spaces. Supplying roughly 6.0kW or 3.0kW to our MS and Volt, respectively.
Well, that is great news. Wondered how it all worked out. I don't want to know the figure, but that had to be a rather pricey installation.:eek:

Jomo25,
Thanks for the info (and starting this useful thread). I am also considering the GE Wattstation for several reasons but wanted to make sure it would work in my garage.
-LA DWP (dept of water and power) offers a $2000 rebate for Level II charging stations. Interestingly, just installing a NEMA 14-50 won't qualify. So I can either spend $1450 installing a NEMA 14-50 or $2400 installing a full charging station. With the rebate, the net comes to only $400...so it makes sense to install the full charging station (GE Wattstation looks like it will work).
-I only plan on being at my condo for a year or two more, and having a charging station that would work with all EVs (not just Tesla Model S) may attract a few more buyers.

So, how is it working out with the Model S? I realize it will be a slower charge than a NEMA 14-50, but I leave it parked overnight so charging rate is not a huge issue for me. I'd appreciate any comments or concerns!!
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how do you keep other cars in your garage from using your charger? Do you have a lockbox mechanism?

Thanks!

Jomo25,
Thanks for the info (and starting this useful thread). I am also considering the GE Wattstation for several reasons but wanted to make sure it would work in my garage.
-LA DWP (dept of water and power) offers a $2000 rebate for Level II charging stations. Interestingly, just installing a NEMA 14-50 won't qualify. So I can either spend $1450 installing a NEMA 14-50 or $2400 installing a full charging station. With the rebate, the net comes to only $400...so it makes sense to install the full charging station (GE Wattstation looks like it will work).
-I only plan on being at my condo for a year or two more, and having a charging station that would work with all EVs (not just Tesla Model S) may attract a few more buyers.

So, how is it working out with the Model S? I realize it will be a slower charge than a NEMA 14-50, but I leave it parked overnight so charging rate is not a huge issue for me. I'd appreciate any comments or concerns!!
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how do you keep other cars in your garage from using your charger? Do you have a lockbox mechanism?

Thanks!
Glad to help! The GE Wattstation is working out great. Of course there are lots of other mounted EVSEs that will work. I had to go with the GE unit for a silly reason (it has a physical on/off switch which was mandated by my HOA board). There are other better-featured, higher-output-capable, and/or lower-cost EVSEs out there. The Clipper Creek is a popular pick because of its lower price point and higher output capability. It's not quite as "nice looking" as the GE, but it has been used by many MS owners. If I could pick any EVSE, I would have gone with the Seimens Versicharge. It's got network connectability/upgradability, timer for charging start, and costs the same as the GE. I haven't specifically heard anyone say they used one with a MS, but I would think it'll work. Pluginamerica.com has a good run down on all the EVSEs generally available. Then I used Amazon/Google to search for best prices. I got the GE on sale for $750 from Amazon one day.

As it is, I've even dialed down the current to 24A. I am considering dialing even further down to 16. So that way, the charge will complete closer to when I leave in the morning. My daily commute will be about 60 miles. Since I'm driving somewhat aggessively (because I can :)!) that would still give me plenty of time to charge overnight. But I have charged at 30A with no issues. I haven't even used the UMC yet. I may go to my wife's workplace tomorrow, just to test it out (they have a 14-50).

Note that I have my GE plugged into a 6-50 outlet. My electrician designed this smartly, perhaps with some overkill. The line has a manual disconnect, then a 6-50 outlet, both with lockable covers. So, I can lock others out by removing/reversing the disconnect and locking the box. Then the outlet (and thus the Wattstation) is unpowered. I wont do this daily. ONly if I go away for an extended period of time. My garage and building is pretty secure for access. And there are cameras at all entrances/exits. And the building is installing a new realtime electricity usage monitoring system. So I would be able to see usage in real time. I dont expect anyone in the building to steal kWh. But I'll have sufficient means to monitor/catch if they do. Now, if someone wants to put gum in the J1772 nozzle, I can't stop them. I had considered a cage when I was planning just to use an outlet and UMC. But the YMC is not UL Listed and doesn't have that physical on/off switch...I'll take and post some better pics in the next day or so. The electrician had to do a minor mod this morning, so I was holding off on pics til he made the change.

Sounds like it makes alot of sense for you to install a station, esp with the incentives. And I agree going J1772 is more "valuable" if you do resell because it's universal. Good luck! let us know what you end up doing!

Thanks for the info Jomo25!!! Very helpful! Installed and it looks fabulous and works well...
Couple of comments about the Wattstation:
-Looks VERY nice.
-I get a charge of about 17mi/hr (rated).
-There is a loud click when it starts charging...but nothing alarming.
-The On/Off button is actually a nice feature to keep it off on the many nights I don't need to charge.
-It is a little bigger than expected. Because of the size of my spot as well as regulations that it can only be a certain number of inches off of the ground, it protrudes into my spots a little...but nothing I can't handle. Here is a pic!

View attachment 23004