Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S windows not auto-raising

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019/2020 Model S is having some weird rear window behavior. The 2 rear windows automatically lower by about 1inch when you open the rear door(s). But over the last 2-3 weeks they won't automatically raise the 1inch when you shut the door. This leaves the window open, and we are about to hit the rainy season. If you repeat opening/shutting the door, then the window will be open by 2inches (keep repeating and it keeps getting lower each time).

I can manually close the rear windows using the driver controls (or the rear controls when the door is closed). The android app gives me notifications that the window has been left open, so the car knows that it is open.

The problem seems to have disappeared this weekend. I didn't accept any software updates from Tesla this past weekend (running version 2021.32.22) . Is there some set of software updates that happen without having to accept them?

Has anybody else seen this problem?

...they won't automatically raise the 1inch when you shut the door...

It could be time for window recalibration? I don't see one for Model S but it might be the same with Model 3. If not, time for Service Center.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
It could be time for window recalibration? I don't see one for Model S but it might be the same with Model 3. If not, time for Service Center.

That Do-It Yourself sounds very confusing to me. Almost all electric windows since at least 1997, you can recalibrate the limits of the window for fully open and close. Open the window all the way, holding the button for 5 seconds after fully open. Then close the window all the way, holding the button for 5 seconds. Problem is then solved, until it gets out of adjustment once again. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Tam
That Do-It Yourself sounds very confusing to me. Almost all electric windows since at least 1997, you can recalibrate the limits of the window for fully open and close. Open the window all the way, holding the button for 5 seconds after fully open. Then close the window all the way, holding the button for 5 seconds. Problem is then solved, until it gets out of adjustment once again. :)

My driver window has to be recalibrated a few times a week. Sometimes it does not go all the way up. Seems there is tremendous drag by the trim piece. Going into service tomorrow.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Same thing happened with my 2021 MSLR on the driver's door. Service changed the entire door gasket trim and replaced the window regulator (the parts inside the door that move the window up and down).

Mobile service came today. Said this happens to lots of people, but the S will auto-re-calibrate the windows occasionally. And from the driver's door, you can hold the raise button for 3-5 seconds up, then 3-5 seconds down, and it should re-calibrate immediately. i'll try that the next time that this problem shows up.

Mobile service came today. Said this happens to lots of people, but the S will auto-re-calibrate the windows occasionally. And from the driver's door, you can hold the raise button for 3-5 seconds up, then 3-5 seconds down, and it should re-calibrate immediately. i'll try that the next time that this problem shows up.
Yeah, that is what we advised you to try.

Reactions: Art VandeIay

Sorry Tesla, but I did not pay this much for a car that I have to recalibrate the windows weekly (sometimes twice per week).

It strains to go up somedays. It seems the trim is rubbing too hard.

Did this help fix it?
Yes. Re-calibration did not work for me. Tech that initially came out and assumed re-calibration was the fix ended up overheating the regulator after having to do it so many times, then ordered another service visit to have everything replaced.

And while it did fix the window, the driver's side glass doesnt go up as far as the passenger side glass, by about 0.5 inches. It goes up enough so to create a good seal, but... it's not perfect to my own standards, though I'll live with it since we basically did everything that can possibly be done aside from structural adjustments (straight up adjusting how the door sits on the frame).

Here's what your poor door will have to go through if decide to change out the guts:
1635626455092.png