Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power window question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get out of my 2021 MYP, the rear driver's side window goes down slightly when I close the driver's door. I have no idea whether it was always this way, but I only recently noticed it. It opens about 1/2 the distance that it does when I actually open the rear door.

I had a stroke last year & use a cane for walking, and put the cane on the back seat when I go out in the car. When I exit the car, I steady myself by resting my hand on the rear side window while I hobble back to open the rear door & retrieve my cane. This is what caused me to notice the slight lowering of the window as the driver's door closes. I first noticed it when my hand was resting on the window where it enters the door, and I got pinched pretty good!

Does anyone know if this is normal behavior, if there's an adjustment, calibration, or whatever for it?

Thanks!

^^^
Try putting the cane on the floor instead of the seat and observe what happens.
When the attached rear seat occupant moves around I get some notifications on my screen.
Let us know

Attachments

• Tesla Rear Seat passenger IMG_0336.jpg
    Tesla Rear Seat passenger IMG_0336.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 30
Does anyone know if this is normal behavior, if there's an adjustment, calibration, or whatever for it?
I think what you are seeing is normal behavior in cold weather. From the manual: "In cold temperatures, Model Y automatically makes a slight adjustment to the position of the windows to make it easier to open doors."

Reactions: E90alex
Just as a followup: I tried my cane on the floor rather than on the rear seat for several days, and did not once have the window issue I described.

However, when I went back to laying the cane on the seat, I no longer had the problem either! Go figure. The car did receive an update during my "experiment", so maybe that changed/fixed something related.

I really love this car, but it's frequently a mystery & an adventure for me.

Reactions: howardnj
When I get out of my 2021 MYP, the rear driver's side window goes down slightly when I close the driver's door. I have no idea whether it was always this way, but I only recently noticed it. It opens about 1/2 the distance that it does when I actually open the rear door.

I had a stroke last year & use a cane for walking, and put the cane on the back seat when I go out in the car. When I exit the car, I steady myself by resting my hand on the rear side window while I hobble back to open the rear door & retrieve my cane. This is what caused me to notice the slight lowering of the window as the driver's door closes. I first noticed it when my hand was resting on the window where it enters the door, and I got pinched pretty good!

Thanks!
I have the same problem. For no reason the passenger rear window goes down sometimes all the way when I enter the car. Told Tesla last year, they thought I was nuts. Told me the computer said that I used the switch. So,
a year later, it still does it sometimes.

Just as a followup: I tried my cane on the floor rather than on the rear seat for several days, and did not once have the window issue I described.

However, when I went back to laying the cane on the seat, I no longer had the problem either! Go figure. The car did receive an update during my "experiment", so maybe that changed/fixed something related.

I really love this car, but it's frequently a mystery & an adventure for me.
This "feature" was added by a software release last fall. Its supposed to make it easier to open the doors in cold weather.

There's definitely a temperature threshold above which it doesnt drop the windows. As far as I can figure, its somewhere above 40 degrees F.

What I dont like is when you go to start the car on a cold day, it "slams" the windows shut making a very loud clunk. If you're not expecting it, its very startling.