Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a noticeable difference during night driving with the PS on the windshield?
I have an appt for Wednesday to get 35% PS all around. Still on the fence about doing the windshield with 75% or not.

Not one bit. Day or night, I can't tell it's there, but I do feel the difference though. My other cars don't have the windshield, so I feel a very noticeable difference when I'm driving my BMW

- - - Updated - - -

ok cool, I'm getting 35% and 75% on the windshield and pano

Pictures please. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

ok cool, I'm getting 35% and 75% on the windshield and pano

I see you're in NV. Are you getting it trucked there or picking up? If you're making the trek, I'd like to know how the supercharger situation go for you. I plan on making a trip to Vegas and pondering the fun drive in the MS (BUT - 9 hr drive...uhhhh) or just fly.

This is Photosync 35% all around 50% pano roof and 75% windshield. I think the blue hue people are concerned with is not from the tint it self, but from the blue glass that all Tesla cars come with. If you look out at the mirror from inside you can see a hint of blue on the chrome and the mirrors. Also the way the car's window is setup, the tint looks different from all different angles. Some angles looks lighter, some looks darker.

P8020092.jpg
P8020093.jpg
P8020098.jpg
P8020087.jpg
P8020086.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures please. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I see you're in NV. Are you getting it trucked there or picking up? If you're making the trek, I'd like to know how the supercharger situation go for you. I plan on making a trip to Vegas and pondering the fun drive in the MS (BUT - 9 hr drive...uhhhh) or just fly.

Viet Tran at Prestige Films / Photosync found me an installer here in LV. I picked up the car 7/29, I've been driving nonstop so I haven't posted reviews/pics yet, but I should be getting the tint done in the next 1-2 weeks, the shop doing the tinting (DC Auto) wants samples first to be comfortable with the film. They should get the film Tues 8/6 then be ready for me a couple days later by 8/9. I might take the MS to LA that weekend though, so perhaps Monday the 12th, unless I can take it this coming Wednesday or Thursday the 7th or 8th.

I'll post pics as soon as the work is done.

Nice table for comparison. There is actually more updated info on this document showing the 35% Photosync http://www.prestige-films.com/docs/photosync_datasheet_061713.pdf. The 35 tint gets up to 80% solar energy reduction. I believe any other tint maker can only hit about 60%. I'm not physicist, but based on BTU meter demos, I don't think total solar energy rejection is equivalent to heat reduction.

Temperature increase inside the car is directly related to energy input and for solar heating this comes from conduction and radiation. Assuming radiation to be the largest problem, indeed TSER (total solar energy rejected) should theoretically be the right thing to look at. Note that since solar radiation is roughly split between visible and IR, if you care about reducing temperature but don't care about darkness (visible wavelengths), I would look at the SHGC (solar heat gain coefficient, also used for commercial and residential windows) and try to minimize it. According to the photosync spec sheet, the best is SPH45 (0.30 SHGC) and SPH55 (0.31 SHGC). So if you wanted darker windows which maximize temperature reduction you would choose 45 over 55, and vice-versa if you like max visibility.

However I have a big problem with their specifications. Normally SHGC=1-TSER. This doesn't match at all for any of their values, either before or after SAC activation. (And maximizing TSER according to their spec indicates going for 35 which has less IR filtering but higher visible reduction but inexplicably a much larger TSER, and inconsistently a larger SHGC). Therefore I would remain skeptical of these specifications unless someone could explain the discrepancies to me (I could not find the info on their web site).

Now, as an experimentalist, of course I would believe the experiment. The problem there is that "BTU meters" as mentioned here are all sensitive to different wavelength bands and it is harder to measure the longer wavelengths (which are in IR) so it is easy to skew results (and hard to compare between manufacturers unless you do the controlled test yourself and measure the entire solar spectrum). If you do, make sure to measure when sun is incident at normal angles to the window under test.

By the way I am a physicist, so feel free to take this post with a grain of salt.

I need some advice on tint levels.

I will be getting Photosync on my MS in pearl white.

My goal is to minimize heat, but want to ensure minimal impact on night time visibility. Also, while I like sunroofs, my wife is sensitive to sun and heat from above. I'm not super interested in really dark windows (although I do like the look), and wish to avoid unnecessary law enforcement attention (here we can't have tint on the windshield or front windows).

Here's my plan:

Windshield, and front (driver/passenger) windows: Photosync 75
The rear passenger windows: Photosync 65
Rear hatchback window: Photosync 65

Panoramic roof: Photosync 45

I know I can get all the way down to 35 on the sunroof, but I'm worried that this would look a bit funny if the rear hatchback is 65 (I'm still trying to maximize night time visibility on that hatchback window which is already tinted at the factory) -- I'd like as uniform looking stripe of glass on top, balancing with heat/light rejection on the roof. I know the rear view camera can minimize the hatchback issue, but I thought I should review options. My car is coming on Thursday but there are so few around me, I'm looking for more advice.

So, would a 45 roof/ 65 hatchback look OK?

Other thoughts (yes I know there could be many potential options like 35 roof/55 hatchback, or 55 roof/65 hatch, etc any other combos people suggest)?

I need some advice on tint levels.

I will be getting Photosync on my MS in pearl white.

My goal is to minimize heat, but want to ensure minimal impact on night time visibility. Also, while I like sunroofs, my wife is sensitive to sun and heat from above. I'm not super interested in really dark windows (although I do like the look), and wish to avoid unnecessary law enforcement attention (here we can't have tint on the windshield or front windows).

Here's my plan:

The rear passenger windows: Photosync 65
Rear hatchback window: Photosync 65

Panoramic roof: Photosync 45

I know I can get all the way down to 35 on the sunroof, but I'm worried that this would look a bit funny if the rear hatchback is 65 (I'm still trying to maximize night time visibility on that hatchback window which is already tinted at the factory) -- I'd like as uniform looking stripe of glass on top, balancing with heat/light rejection on the roof. I know the rear view camera can minimize the hatchback issue, but I thought I should review options. My car is coming on Thursday but there are so few around me, I'm looking for more advice.

So, would a 45 roof/ 65 hatchback look OK?

Other thoughts (yes I know there could be many potential options like 35 roof/55 hatchback, or 55 roof/65 hatch, etc any other combos people suggest)?

I dunno. I drove around for years with limo tint 5% and never had an issue seeing out the rear window. Doing 65% would be as clear as day. I'd say go 35% all around and you'll be fine.

I dunno. I drove around for years with limo tint 5% and never had an issue seeing out the rear window. Doing 65% would be as clear as day. I'd say go 35% all around and you'll be fine.

I did 35% and I'm very happy with it. You can still see very easily at night and it does a good job of not letting too much heat in. I did not do the pano. Remember that there is existing tint, so you get the graduation from driver to 2nd seat, which I think is the same as the rear window.

I'd venture to guess that I am older than you. :-D As the years pass, our eyes just aint what they used to be

- - - Updated - - -

I bought the photosync 50 and the 75 on the windscreen. Have not done the pano roof, but now contemplating it.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,949
After looking at pictures on this thread, I've decided to go with the following on my Pearl White MS:

The rear passenger windows: Photosync 55
Rear hatchback window: Photosync 55

Panoramic roof: Photosync 35

I hope this works well and looks good. I expect the rear window will be OK, and I hope the rear view camera compensates in situation where the back glass is too dark.

I admit I do like the looks of the 35 all arounds but for sure we can't do that on the front/driver windows...

Personally, I like a car without any tint. It is refreshing, like a beautiful woman free of ugly tattoos. Safety wise, as a bicycle rider, dark tint can be deadly when I can not see a driver's face and eyes on me or not. Even for other drivers of cars, it is annoying/dangerous to not see other faces during lane changes and at intersections. Lastly, a friend of mine who is an attorney here in California told me that there has been plenty of cases where insurance companies have refused to pay claims as the car was not to code and injury accidents where drivers with tint have been found "negligent" receiving stiff fines and even extended jail time in a few cases. He told me that the California Hwy Patrol are now being instructed to get tough on illegal tint and the legislature is likely to raise the fines to very high limits. I agree with the Highway Patrol. I hope while they are at it, they start citing those obnoxiously loud motorcycles.

I am getting Tinting done tomorrow morning to my Tesla Model S.

I am going with Photosync 75 for windsheild. 35 for windows. 55 for pano roof.

I am mostly doing this for the heat rejection. I will post pictures afterwards and give my opinion on it. Hopefully it does a good of a job as everyone claims it does.

I got the PhotoSync applied to all windows including pano roof yesterday. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of bubbles in tint which distort the view very noticeably. I noticed this after returning home. I called and was told to wait a week, and if it was still there, I they would redo the tint.

Did anyone else have this happen to them? Other than those pesky bubbles, the tint is holding up great. I was driving all around Dallas, TX yesterday with the AC fan on 4, yet it was 108 degrees outside and I hardly noticed!

So as far as heat rejection goes, it is working great!