Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front motor whine is noticeable, especially when accelerating fast. However at cruising speeds on hwy and even around town I cannot hear it at all. Make sure range mode is off. The front motor is utilized more at cruising speeds when range mode is on which might be why you're hearing it more. I'm going to take my work commute with range mode on next week to see if there is a noticeable difference in noise.

This is still not confirmed on whether or not front motor bias is affected by range mode.

I've done a lot of road trips in my 85D with Range Mode on, and I can't tell any difference in front motor noise from when Range Mode is off.

As to the front motor noise, I rather like it. No, it's not as quiet as a RWD model, but it's quieter than an ICE. And it sounds like a spaceship when you floor it. :D

Reactions: Caligula
With range mode on, you will likely notice more whine since it (supposedly) relies more on the front motor. Since it is closer to the driver and less insulated (compared to the rear motor mount), I would expect more of a whine. In my 85D, I've had the whine since day one, but I love it!

For those that are complaining about the whine, what do you expect? There are electric motors turning at thousands revolution per minute to move your car, mechanical parts moving, and you expect it to be completely silent??

For those that are complaining about the whine, what do you expect? There are electric motors turning at thousands revolution per minute to move your car, mechanical parts moving, and you expect it to be completely silent??

Well, although I don't mind the slight whine, I also have a Chevy Volt and even at full throttle, it *is* completely silent. Of course, Volt full throttle and S full throttle are two entirely different things.. :)

Well, although I don't mind the slight whine, I also have a Chevy Volt and even at full throttle, it *is* completely silent. Of course, Volt full throttle and S full throttle are two entirely different things.. :)

Volt, Leaf, i3, etc. all use permanent-magnet motors. The rotor on those types of motors rotates synchronously with the stator's magnetic field, which results in quieter operation.

The Teslas use an induction motor. The rotor on these rotates asynchronously with the stator's magnetic field (rotor is slower than the stator magnetic field rotation). This induces large currents in the rotor, and produces magnetic flux harmonics throughout the rotor and stator cores. This is the source of a lot of the sound in the Tesla drive motors.

I would have expected (and appreciated) more sound proofing around the front of the car, since, as you point out, the motors clearly make noise.

The rear wheel drive only car (with larger motor and higher currents) does not produce a whine in the cabin. I do not recall any significant level of whine from the front motor during the short period I spent in a P90DL (40 minutes) In a very brief journey in a new 70D (could have been a 90D or an 85D) there was a very noticeable noise from the front motor.

Are the front motors different between the 70D, 85D, 90D and P90DL?

Front motors are all the same in 70D 85D 90D P85D P90D.

The larger rear motor in the RWD cars and P85D/P90D cars actually has a lower magnetic flux density because of its size, which is also why it's less efficient and has less "whine". Combine that with the distance from the driver and the sound dampening of the rear seats and rear floor, and it's significantly quieter in the interior of the car than the front motors.

• Helpful
Reactions: doctorwho
I thought, apparently incorrectly, that all traction motors were designed to run at similar levels of flux in the air gap at rated load. Too much flux and excessive saturation in the pole teeth occurs, too little and motor weight is higher than it need be.

So far I've been in two AWD cars a 2015 85D and a 2016 P90DL with the latter being a lot quieter. From a personal perspective I hope the 90D that is due soon is quiet like the P90DL rather than whine like the 85D. It will be hard not to be disappointed if the silence of the test drive is replaced with a whine from the front for the next several years.

I did this experiment on the way to work today. Find a flat road and while cruising at set speed, toggle the range mode button on/off. With it on, the front motor makes a slight continuous whine. Toggle it off, and it disappears. So it definitely looks like range mode will utilize the front motor more. The whine, although continuous, is still so quiet that I can only really hear it with audio off and all windows closed. With music playing it pretty much disappears.

This is still not confirmed on whether or not front motor bias is affected by range mode.
Perhaps not confirmed, but the noise from the front motor increases substantially whenever range mode is enabled. There also seems to be a spike in front motor noise (shift in noise bias from rear to front) around the 40mph range with range mode off, which then transitions back at higher speeds I think. Anyway, the noise that the OP is mentioning is likely the normal motor noise that all Teslas (both AWD and RWD) make.

Also, a volume setting of 8? My god... the first notch of setting 4 is fairly loud. Unless you're listening to really quiet source audio, I don't see how a setting that high wouldn't be physically painful.

There are many noises - some normal, and at least 14 that are abnormal. I know this because I had #14 from the abnormal list for 3 months or more until combining the fix for that (drive unit replacement #1) with recent annual service. For planning purposes, they quoted 8 hours for the annual service and 6 hours for the drive unit replacement, and evidently the expectation is that these are done sequentially - not concurrently - so should you be in the same boat, be prepared to drop off your car early on Day 1 and to retrieve it on Day 3.

You'll find a list here: Sounds of Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap
Very helpful list of sounds - thanks for posting TaoJones!