Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, cool. Thanks for the links. Glad at least two made it out. Four wheel torque vectoring is amazing. My last car, an Audi S4, had rear wheel torque vectoring and it was _amazing_. Like the hand of God would reach down and help push the car around corners. Really defied the laws of physics. I hope to see the technology make its way to the mainstream some day in our electric future.

biggif.gif

In the UK buyers are paying 40,000 GBP (that's 65,000 USD) above list price for new i8 - and the waiting list is about two years.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/bmw/11116660/BMW-i8-price-shock.html

Seems as if there are plenty of people out there who don't share the opinions voiced in this thread. As to the supposedly better performance of the Model S, it's a bit of a one trick pony. Fantastic acceleration from standstill but no good around the track or for prolonged high speed drives.

Nice job, but it kind of creeps me out. :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

In the UK buyers are paying 40,000 GBP (that's 65,000 USD) above list price for new i8 - and the waiting list is about two years.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/bmw/11116660/BMW-i8-price-shock.html

Seems as if there are plenty of people out there who don't share the opinions voiced in this thread. As to the supposedly better performance of the Model S, it's a bit of a one trick pony. Fantastic acceleration from standstill but no good around the track or for prolonged high speed drives.

This tells me that the i8 visually appeals to UK buyers. When it comes down to it, the i8 is the poor man's McLaren P1 and the poor man's Porsche 918. Personally I'm glad to see it do well. Teslas will take a little longer to catch on in the UK but I have no doubt that they will win over in the long run. Top Gear is a huge influence on the country and the Top Gear guys hate EVs.

Instant acceleration and all electric drive is something you enjoy everytime and every moment you are in an S.

Track speeds are just for bragging rights. Does not add any tangible value to your daily experience. If you really crave for a track car there are far better pure ICE cars.

Interesting - as I read that I realized I don't think the Model S even has competition in a single one of those categories, let alone all three combined.

That's why the car market is literally down to two cars. :) (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/34989-Car-market-literally-down-to-2-cars-today)

Interestingly, I read an article recently claiming there is no other 7-seater on the market with 4.4sec 0-100kph than Tesla Model S. I wonder if that's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, there is no comparison. Completely different vehicles with completely different goals. May as well compare the MS with an electric moped.

It is well known that the i8 is a poor track car, as the performance drops off a cliff as soon as the tiny battery goes flat. Much like the S when the battery pack gets too hot.

To each his own. I wonder why some Tesla fans seem to see the need for sniping at other manufacturers that follow a different path. I would have thought that for those who are concerned about the environment any move towards a more sustainable use of resources would be welcome.
The problem with many of those difference paths are, eco-wise, that they are actually slowing down the adoption of BEVs by muddying the waters with products that aren't pushing the envelope and may even be giving EVs a bad name. The traditional manufacturers have so much invested in ICEs that their actions clearly have slowed down industry adoption and the goal of everyday-usable electrics and electric automotive infrastructure.

That said, BMW is probably one of the better ones of those traditional manufacturers with the i3. I don't think we can really say the same of the i8, though. I don't see it very helpful to the sustainability cause. I'd rather more people bought the Tesla Model S with that money and sent BMW a message.

And Audi. They really should have built that electric R8, but they have chickened out so far. Such cars would be helpful as halo products, because they make electric Audis desireable. Sell a few electric R8's and push out then an A3 with 250 km range at 25 000 euro and people will buy it for that e-tron badge. And you are furthering the cause of BEVs massively. What are they now buying for an e-tron badge? A poor attempt at a plug-in hybrid.

Really, where would the BEV and BEV adoption be today without Tesla? Tesla is making others try harder and supporting Tesla today, instead of some half-a**ed effort like the i8 or Audi's first e-trons, will help keep that pressure.

Just "any" move towards a more sustainable use of resources is not good, if the alternative is an even better move towards a more sustainable use of resources. Today, Tesla is the best automotive bet on more sustainable use of resources. There really doesn't seem to be any others, as far as consumer purchase decisions go.

Believe me. A lot of us would like that to change. I would definitely be in the market for an Audi A3 e-tron BEV with some level of range approaching that of traditonal cars.

Last edited:
It is rather clear: Mini ED was clearly a prototype/developement platform. BMW ActiveE was a nice car. It's electric profile was a bit too DIY-like though. i3 is just a "WTF"? It is not a step forward, it is a step to the side and back.
My main beef with BMW i3 is that an ActiveE with a bit more "polished" EV drive-train and battery pack placement would be a really nice EV, one that I would consider buying.
i3 I cannot stand to look at. It's a distraction and disservice to EVs.
Leaf, i3, ... a bunch of castrated clowns.

It is rather clear: Mini ED was clearly a prototype/developement platform. BMW ActiveE was a nice car. It's electric profile was a bit too DIY-like though. i3 is just a "WTF"? It is not a step forward, it is a step to the side and back.
My main beef with BMW i3 is that an ActiveE with a bit more "polished" EV drive-train and battery pack placement would be a really nice EV, one that I would consider buying.
i3 I cannot stand to look at. It's a distraction and disservice to EVs.
Leaf, i3, ... a bunch of castrated clowns.

That's a big part of the problem.

Traditional ICE manufacturers have mostly either compliance vehicles or are doing other things so as to not cannibalize their ICE cars, such as BMW styling their EV/hybrid cars provocatively to separate them from the traditional car-buying public.

This, in addition to lack-luster efforts in pushing the EV product specifications and wider market availability (often manufacturers won't sell their EVs in most of their markets), means that without the likes of Tesla the BEV revolution is certainly not going anywhere fast.

Supporting lackluster EVs could certainly be argued as detrimental to the EV cause.

...isn't everyone's idea of a sports sedan, either.

Model S is a sports sedan now? then that is one heck of a 7 seater family sports sedan.

The point folks are trying to make is a family sedan is giving a run for its money against the latest biz wang from the most touted German car company. 0-60 isn't nothing to brag about. Track stats are so so. Sure it can go nonstop on an autobahn for much longer than an S, but so can a Golf