Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance: 2022 MS Long Range vs G80 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some guy commenting on a YouTube video keeps trying to convince me that a stock BMW G80 M3 Comp xDrive would “annihilate” the current refresh Model S Long Range on the open road. I told him he had it backwards. I think he’s cherry-picking some obscure data, because everything I see shows a pretty close 0-60 but a complete dismantling of the M3 by the MS in the quarter mile (10.8 at 128 vs 11.6 at 121 for the M3). The 60-130 is even more stark (7.9 for MS and 9.5 for M3).

Am I off base here?

Real world, perfect launch, the BMW will beat the LR to 60. Even a bad launch and the BMW should still beat the LR to 60. From about 50-60 mph and up, the LR will pull the BMW. So from a roll much more than 30-40 mph, I think the LR will eat the M3's lunch. I owned an LR and I can't tell you how many supposedly quicker cars that my LR would easily beat from a roll.

Reactions: AudiA4
Real world, perfect launch, the BMW will beat the LR to 60. Even a bad launch and the BMW should still beat the LR to 60. From about 50-60 mph and up, the LR will pull the BMW. So from a roll much more than 30-40 mph, I think the LR will eat the M3's lunch. I owned an LR and I can't tell you how many supposedly quicker cars that my LR would easily beat from a roll.
I would agree with that. However, he almost acted like the M3 would show its taillights even more so at higher speeds, and I was trying to educate him that he had it backwards! 😂

The LR is a very impressive car everywhere but at launch. Either it is geared too high, or they are software nerfing it, but it doesn't launch like a ~700 hp. It does wake up very nicely once rolling. Ideally if it was setup properly, it should be mid 2's 0-60 and low 10's in the 1/4.

For whatever reason Tesla crippled the performance of the car, most likely so it wouldn't steal sales from the Plaid.

Reactions: AudiA4
The LR is a very impressive car everywhere but at launch. Either it is geared too high, or they are software nerfing it, but it doesn't launch like a ~700 hp. It does wake up very nicely once rolling. Ideally if it was setup properly, it should be mid 2's 0-60 and low 10's in the 1/4.

For whatever reason Tesla crippled the performance of the car, most likely so it wouldn't steal sales from the Plaid.
Yeah, I read a recent (active) thread on here about its seemingly and strangely restrained 0-60 numbers given its ferociousness beyond that. I’m really liking my ‘22 S and don’t feel it’s short on power, but it ticked me off is they intentionally “nerfed” it. That being said, I’d pay for an acceleration upgrade if they made one available!

yeah, I got tired of waiting on any sort of an acceleration boost option like the 3 and Y. As a result, I bought the Plaid instead.

I think I was probably the first one on this form, or anywhere, that pointed out how the LR didn’t run anywhere near as clean tires. I think I was probably the first one on this form, or anywhere, that pointed out how the LR didn’t run anywhere near it's claimed times.

I probably did about 100 different runs, every possible scenario, basically took everything I could out of the car, state of charge, track mode, cheetah stance, you name it, nothing mattered. Dharkar never ever ran his claim timer 31, North, and I find one that ever did Tessa screwed us. The car never ever ran it's claimed time of 3.1 nor I find one that ever did. Tesla screwed us.