Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trade in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am supposed to get my MX next Saturday. I am trading in my 2014 MS. My Salesperson gave me an estimated trade in value, but my inspection is tomorrow. How have people found the process of trading in their old Telsa's? I does not seem like I have much leverage. My MS is in good shape, but if Telsa suddenly cuts the trade in a few thousand dollars I would not be happy. Besides selling car privately are there any other options? Does CarMax buy Tesla's? Would they give me an estimate if I feel Tesla low Balls me? I have looked at the Kelly Blue Book Value.
How have people's experiences been with Telsa and Trade in?
Thanks

It will depend upon the battery size and condition of the car. The new 60kw model S for $58k after rebate makes certain used Model S's seem overpriced except for the option packages. Without knowing your cars specs, I can't give my an honest appraisal.

I have a 2014 pre autopilot 85s. It has the rear facing third row (poorly ventilated) child seats. I have the double charger option for rapid charging. It has about 42,900 miles. Fairly good condition, normal wear and tear. I got 4 new tires about 6 months ago. I think Tesla is offering around $50,000. Kelly Blue book ranges from $50,000 to $57,000.

The only catch is that I was rear ended in April, had small fender dent which was repaired with Tesla parts. Bill was about $1,300. I have a claim in for any diminished value with the offending parties insurance.

One option to consider is the Kelley Blue Book instant cash offer. Assuming you have participating dealers in your area, it seems like a good hybrid of a private party sale and trade-in. Of course you'll always tend to make a little more on private party sales, but that requires time, effort and hassle.

One option to consider is the Kelley Blue Book instant cash offer. Assuming you have participating dealers in your area, it seems like a good hybrid of a private party sale and trade-in. Of course you'll always tend to make a little more on private party sales, but that requires time, effort and hassle.

Yes, doesn't hurt to try that option. You may have better luck than we did. We also had a 2013 RWD model S with 30k miles. Our experience with it was not great, but could have just been the one that we were sent to. We visited the instant cash offer listed Nissan dealer but they were not willing to honor the instant cash offer price, and had such little knowledge of Tesla and stated that 'electric cars are out of date the day you buy them' etc, wow really!! Tesla's get better with age :) with the software updates. We ended up selling it to a high end exotic car dealership for about 4k over what Tesla was offering us on the trade-in.

Reactions: m2s2
Yes, doesn't hurt to try that option. You may have better luck than we did. We also had a 2013 RWD model S with 30k miles. Our experience with it was not great, but could have just been the one that we were sent to. We visited the instant cash offer listed Nissan dealer but they were not willing to honor the instant cash offer price, and had such little knowledge of Tesla and stated that 'electric cars are out of date the day you buy them' etc, wow really!! Tesla's get better with age :) with the software updates. We ended up selling it to a high end exotic car dealership for about 4k over what Tesla was offering us on the trade-in.

I did it with my Lexus and received only $300 less than what KBB told me I would get because of a few scratches on the rims that I didn't note. I had an excellent experience with KBB Instant Cash Offer and walked out with a check in my hand 45 minutes to an hour later and it was larger than what a broker offered through Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Saxena
One of the other positives for the instant cash offer is not having to deal with the hassle of clearing title before getting your check. Most private party sales will be much easier if you can provide clean title (no liens from outstanding loans/leases)

Well they came back at 49,900 about $100 less then they said last month. But I'm not going to get into it for $100. I might be able to get more some where else but with 6.5% tax here that's another 3-4 thousand I save by trading it in. So I get my X Saturday.

Reactions: Saxena