Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to model 3 regret?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After many months of Model 3 info, videos, reviews etc........I finally saw one in person the other day at Syosset SC. Maybe I expected too much but I was not overly impressed.
Less than impressed was exactly how I felt after getting to experience a $50k Model 3 for a few hours, after almost 2 years of eagerly reading about it, watching videos on it, listening to Elon hype it, and waiting for my configuration email to show up.

Less than impressed was exactly how I felt after getting to experience a $50k Model 3 for a few hours, after almost 2 years of eagerly reading about it, watching videos on it, listening to Elon hype it, and waiting for my configuration email to show up.

Interesting, I had the opposite effect. I was so scared reading about people's issues with suspension and not having a center binnacle that I kept my S90D until I received my 3 and drove it for a bit before selling my S. If I didn't like it, I was going to just sell the 3 instead of the S. I guess it's all about expectations too. If the expectations are set too high, such as 2 years of salivating over it and its glowing reviews, then it doesn't meet those unrealistically high expectations, it's a disappointment.

Interesting, I had the opposite effect. I was so scared reading about people's issues with suspension and not having a center binnacle that I kept my S90D until I received my 3 and drove it for a bit before selling my S. If I didn't like it, I was going to just sell the 3 instead of the S. I guess it's all about expectations too. If the expectations are set too high, such as 2 years of salivating over it and its glowing reviews, then it doesn't meet those unrealistically high expectations, it's a disappointment.
Yeah, I will definitely admit to letting my hunger/fanaticism for the car over the last few years elevate my expectations for it sky high. Maybe not fair to the 3... but after getting to spend time with one, I have no regrets over canceling. I do hope that Tesla is successful at getting a lot of people to buy one though, and spur other manufacturers to bump up their EV timelines!

Yeah, I will definitely admit to letting my hunger/fanaticism for the car over the last few years elevate my expectations for it sky high. Maybe not fair to the 3... but after getting to spend time with one, I have no regrets over canceling. I do hope that Tesla is successful at getting a lot of people to buy one though, and spur other manufacturers to bump up their EV timelines!

No shame in that! The Model 3 isn't for everyone. If I had kids/family, I would've kept the S, I definitely see it as a better family car.

Reactions: 206er
hey folks, anyone switch from a model S to a model 3 and regret their decision? I just got my invite to build a model 3 but it’s many months earlier than expected. I realize this may put me in a better position as far as the tax credit is concerned but I’m getting a little hesitant now in the differences between the cars and the unknown as far as quality, etc. FYI, I currently have a 2017 S90D that is performing quite well. Thanks in advance.

Josh

I've had my Model 3 for almost a month and a half and absolutely love it. No regrets in selling my P85.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I thought the S actually had a tighter turning radius. Have you actually measured?

There's no way the S has a tighter turning radius (maybe if you are just measuring the tires, but the S has a much longer overhang in the front). I haven't actually measured beyond the U-turn on my street I've done hundreds of times, but I'd say they are pretty similar (i.e. in neither car can I quite make the U-turn without reversing if there is a car parked on the other side of the street whereas I used to be able to in my Audi A3 hatchback).

I had an experience like another poster here. Had a 2013 S85 that I traded in for 2017 S75. Then got asked to configure M3 much sooner than expected. It’s my wife’s car now. I love both cars. Compared to my 2013 Model S, love the Model 3 way more. Compared to my 2017 Model S, not sure I’d take M3 over it. And not because of no autopilot on 2013 S. The newer Model S is so much more refined feeling, quieter, solid, faster than my earlier S (and the M3). I’d really miss the S.

I don't see why anybody would ever get rid of their luxurious MS for M3. I could see the point if you felt like your car was too big and were looking for something smaller.

That's exactly it - at least for me. I'm smitten with the S, but we're trading it in for a 3 because 1) it's too big and 2) the 3 offers everything we value and need for about $40k less, and that's significant. We leased the S not at all because we wanted a luxury car, but because we wanted something that's super safe, quick, healthy, eco-friendly, and technologically advanced. The 3 is all of those things (safety TBD, but Tesla hangs their hat on safety, so we're assuming it's solid) so it's a no-brainer for us.

I went from a P90DL to the Model 3 and like the Model 3 better. I am even paying over $100 a month more for the Model 3.

I like that its smaller, has a quicker steering ratio, and feels more like a sports car.

The S is nice and luxurious but that's not what I look for in a car. If I wanted to drive a boat I would get a boat. I prefer my cars being smaller and nimble.

The only thing I miss (and not that much) is the speed of the P90DL. Its nice to have that much power on tap but really not needed for every day driving.

If I had to do it again I would go with the Model 3 over the S every time.

Got my TM3 today and love it so far, even more than my S90D. I’m 6 foot 2 inches tall and the S has good head room but the “eye room” is always cutting off traffic lights etc without scrunching down in the seat. Model 3: no problem, so much more visual height. Seats are equally comfortable for me (both cars have premium package).

I’m getting used to the single display, but man is it fast and responsive! Much quicker than my late 2016 S90D.

Think I’m in love again......

• Love
Reactions: SmartElectric
I currently own a S100D and Model 3 with LR and PUP. The Model 3 definitely has a tighter turn radius. It's simply a smaller car. It's relatively lightweight and maneuverability is it's number one strength compared to the S.

I think one big thing many Model 3 reviewers aren't clarifying when they're saying the "Model 3 is better than the Model S" is what year/iteration they have. I think most of the reviews have been comparing the Model 3 to a 5 year old Model S for example which is very different than a current year model S.

I think the Model S is better looking, the air suspension is better than the standard 3 suspension, feels more luxurious (e.g. presenting door handles, motorized hatch, etc.), better glass roof, the current gen seats are better, it's much bigger, and it's quite a bit faster.

There are some other things I commend the Model 3 on including the screen processing speed and placement, turn signal stalk operation, headlight road illumination, and a big one is battery efficiency. Ballpark I think the model 3 is about 20% more efficient as kWh per mile from what i've been observing. I believe this is largely in part due to the significant weight difference and possibly due to more efficient battery tech/cells. I also really like the phone as key function.

Dollar for dollar the Model 3 is definitely a better value, but if you want the extra space, speed, luxury then you simply can't put a price on those wants or absolute needs.

Bottom line:

There is no better luxury sedan out right now than the Model S, and there is no better mid-size car out than the Model 3.

Would you say the Model 3 is more fun to drive, relative to your P85? Did you have air suspension on your P85 or coils?

Cheers
My P85 had air suspension. It was a mid-2013.

Model 3 is much more fun to drive. Smaller, better handling. Nice to have AP which my P85 didn’t have. And overall it’s a great car.

I posted some more thought on the Model 3 vs Model S here, Should you buy a Tesla Model 3 or a Model S?

My P85 had air suspension. It was a mid-2013.

Model 3 is much more fun to drive. Smaller, better handling. Nice to have AP which my P85 didn’t have. And overall it’s a great car.

I posted some more thought on the Model 3 vs Model S here, Should you buy a Tesla Model 3 or a Model S?

I've driven every iteration of the Tesla lineup since 2011 and I feel that the air suspension has improved over the years, that's why i'm warning everyone to heed with caution when comparing a Model 3 to a 2013 Model S as opposed to a 2018 Model S.

Something as simple as the P for performance makes people immediately think of the 2.3-2.4 0-60 mph acceleration performance regardless of the model year, when in reality a new 2018 Model S 100D is faster than a 2013 Model S P85 for example.

Reactions: DaveT
300 miles starting with a full charge? how was the loss in elevation, and how much range was left in the end?

299-mile drive. Full charge (displayed about 310 range miles).

On the way up, we used 370 range miles, averaging 297 Wh/mi.

Coming home, we used just under 270, averaging 209 Wh/mi. Arrived home with 43 range miles.

Elevation difference: Just under 7000 feet.

Average driving speed on freeway: About 73 mph.

I've driven every iteration of the Tesla lineup since 2011 and I feel that the air suspension has improved over the years, that's why i'm warning everyone to heed with caution when comparing a Model 3 to a 2013 Model S as opposed to a 2018 Model S.
Wouldn't the "proper comparison" then be the newer Model S to the M3 AWD w/air suspension? Though that can't happen for at least a few months that's in line with your logic, right?

P.S. Not clear to me what a Performance M3 is going to mean. If they're going to have somewhat beefer motors (on obviously AWD) or a more drastic re-configuration with a 3rd motor for the rear (a la 2020 Roadster).