Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overnight my 3G just stopped working on a consistent basis. Was fine yesterday. I see the 3G symbol appear and disappear over and over again. I can't remotely connect to the car and when in the car the maps don't download. So weird. Is this happening to anyone else?

You may have tried this, but this seems to make the liftgate more reliable - open the liftgate manually, and hold it an inch or two below its max open point. Hold down the height setting button for 3 seconds (or until it gives you the long beeps). Then try to close and open it.

I've had one bad day where the car was being goofy with key detection. Replacing the fob battery cleared that up for me.

Thanks FlasherZ@ - ended up making an service appointment at the new Burlingame location next week. I also have the passenger door issue that was discussed in the earlier posts - i.e. can't completely close the passenger door w/o using obscene force.

Very high thermostat reading whenever car starts

Not sure if others are having this issue as well. I live in sunny California and the weather these days are around high 70s, but whenever I get in the car (I park mostly in covered areas like my garage or underground parking) - the thermostat reads ~98-101 (F) and I hear a whirring sound of the AC. After I drive for about 5 minutes or so, the thermostat reading gradually goes down to something more realistic. Anyone else experiencing this?

So my front brace was replaced. The problem was galvanic corrosion caused by insufficient isolation of the magnesium brace from the steel bolts. There's a simple fix for this which is being implemented as a service bulletin.

They also replaced all four door handles with the new version. I had only reported trouble with one, but two more misbehaved while it was at the service center, so they did all of them.

As always the service was excellent.

My HVAC temperature seems to be wacky lately. I'll turn on the AC and bump things down a few degrees, but the air doesn't get any cooler. I'll bump it all the way down and it finally kicks in and will stay on an appropriate amount as I push the temps back to normal values. Same problem on heating, it won't kick in unless I crank it to max and then bump it back down.

My list of issues is getting long, and I've got to make time to call and get it in. No show stoppers, but my back door is popping open most of the time now, and I have that steering "snap" real bad now too. A bunch of other stuff like tail light condensation as well. I'm at about 20,000 km now.

Sounds like they need to run the list of TSB's with yours too. I imagine you probably need the mandatory list: rear hub nut replacement, passenger door fix, the new side panels at the base of the trunk (they replace the plastic at the bottom of the liftgate area inside the cabin), the DC-DC firmware version, and TPMS pressure setting. They also check your J1772 adapter, your 14-50 UMC adapter. There are also "upon owner complaint" TSB's for things like squeaky brakes (which mine had), rear seat belt alignment, the pano roof creak fix, and a few others.

EDIT: Clarified "open owner complaint". They aren't mandatory.

Last edited:
Sounds like they need to run the list of TSB's with yours too. I imagine you probably need the mandatory list: rear hub nut replacement, passenger door fix, the new side panels at the base of the trunk (they replace the plastic at the bottom of the liftgate area inside the cabin), the DC-DC firmware version, and TPMS pressure setting. They also check your J1772 adapter, your 14-50 UMC adapter. There are also TSB's for things like squeaky brakes (which mine had), rear seat belt alignment, the pano roof creak fix, and a few others.

That's a long list! I think many of them must be for earlier cars. When I had my car (#4242) in on August 14th I only had 3 TSB's taken care of.

1) "Rear Window Regulator Re-inforcement Clip"
2) "Panoramic Roof Creak"
3) "Steering Notchy Feel or Clicking Sound"

#2 was the only issue that I would have brought up with them. It was annoying on bumpy roads, but is totally silent now.

They did a bunch of TSB's on my car, including the tail light condensation. But, alas, apparently not the squeaky brakes. I guess they didn't have the parts.

Interesting. I've never had squeaky brakes at all. One thing I have noticed it that when I wash the car in the driveway, I can literally watch the rotors rust over in real time. Afterwards, the brakes "grind" for the first stop or two until the rust is scraped away. I never noticed that on any of my other cars before. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me, though.

The rear hub nut that FlasherZ mentions is interesting. For the last few weeks, I've noticed a very faint kind of "humm" proportional to speed from the drivetrain. I was wondering if it was gear noise I hadn't noticed before.

For those that have had the tail light condensation fixed... did they affix the chrome strip back properly? I've spoken with a few people that have had this done, and the chrome strip appears not to be tacked down towards the ends (moves in and out when you press on it).

I suppose too, I should have the defroster vent thing done. I dread ending up with dash squeak/rattles and hope they have that procedure down by now.

For those that have had the tail light condensation fixed... did they affix the chrome strip back properly? I've spoken with a few people that have had this done, and the chrome strip appears not to be tacked down towards the ends (moves in and out when you press on it).

Same problem here. When you press on the chrome "wing", you can feel it engage adhesive, but it doesn't stay stuck.

I suppose too, I should have the defroster vent thing done. I dread ending up with dash squeak/rattles and hope they have that procedure down by now.

Typically, they'll do a better job reinforcing things if you have that done. I had a dash squeak and they applied felt where things were rubbing, making that noise. I just couldn't bring myself to ruin that wonderful looking grille with some ugly vents. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Any details on the TSB for brakes would be appreciated....

I think I read somewhere here that it involves replacement of rotors.

I just couldn't bring myself to ruin that wonderful looking grille with some ugly vents. :)

I agree with you there. Others have reported horrible fogging issues with the original vent, and so I'm torn. If I wait until I find out if I have problems, it may be too late. I had a few cold days in March when I got my car and was able to keep it under control by directing all air to the defroster and leaving the fan on high. But that was March, not January or February!