Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S subsite and design studio being updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shipping is getting expensive. Couriers are charging a lot, adding fuel surcharges, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually below their cost.

USPS would ship it in one of their fixed rate boxes for $8.50, I'd expect they could negotiate a better rate than that with UPS or FedEx--While I realize there's some cost, I assure you that Amazon isn't paying $21 for all the items they ship me for free, 2nd day via Amazon Prime when I order from them.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

USPS would ship it in one of their fixed rate boxes for $8.50, I'd expect they could negotiate a better rate than that with UPS or FedEx--While I realize there's some cost, I assure you that Amazon isn't paying $21 for all the items they ship me for free, 2nd day via Amazon Prime when I order from them.

The courier companies give companies discounts based on volume. No doubt Amazon, with their volumes, has a ludicrous discount. FedEx charges my company a heck of a lot more. It's not uncommon for companies to "subsidize" the shipping price out of proceeds of the sale.

Also there is no such thing as "free" shipping. You're paying for it... it's just buried in the price.

No volume discount needed for USPS flat rate box. And it's much less than $21. Just sayin'.

USPS isn't the greatest benchmark for shipping costs... Aren't they losing money hand over fist? Besides the 21$ includes shipping and handling. The plug doesn't magically get put into a box and dropped off at the post office.

Amazon, as Doug said above is also a terrible comparison as well... Shipping is anything but cheap/free here in the great white north. You guys are just used to being spoiled by amazon etc.

What does Amazon charge merchants for "fulfilled by Amazon" items? That would give a good indication of what shipping and handling actually cost.

Not really. Amazon has massive automated warehouses and conveyors and huge economies of scale. I don't think a single entity on earth could ship as inexpensively as Amazon.

Tesla probably has a bunch of labels print out, with a list of products. And someone goes out to the warehouse, picks up a box, opens it up, dumps in the part, adds some filler, closes it up, slaps on the label, and then puts it on the mail table. It isn't going to be that fancy.

I agree that $21 is high. But I would rather see a $45 part with $21 shipping, versus a $65 part with free shipping. Even when the nearest store is 600 miles away.

Not really. Amazon has massive automated warehouses and conveyors and huge economies of scale. I don't think a single entity on earth could ship as inexpensively as Amazon.

Tesla probably has a bunch of labels print out, with a list of products. And someone goes out to the warehouse, picks up a box, opens it up, dumps in the part, adds some filler, closes it up, slaps on the label, and then puts it on the mail table. It isn't going to be that fancy.

I agree that $21 is high. But I would rather see a $45 part with $21 shipping, versus a $65 part with free shipping. Even when the nearest store is 600 miles away.

But surely Amazon tries to price it just slightly less than what it would cost a small merchant to handle it themselves. They're going to try to keep as much profit margin as they can.

I do not have a Tesla Store nearby (nearest Service Center is on Columbus, OH, 140 miles away), so can someone who does tell me if these adaptors (and other accessories sold through the online Tesla Shop) are sold at the physical stores and/or service centers?