Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S road trip energy usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends whether you have the range estimate set to typical (based upon your actual historical usage - probably something around 200Wh per km) or the theoretical (based upon 181Wh per km). I use the typical as it is more accurate gauge for typical usage.

That is interesting TesAus. The i3 has a much more limited battery range as you know. It also estimates 'typical' based on driving experience. The thing is though, that when I drive it around the city knowing full well that I will not run out of range before the day is out, I am content to just chuck it around and use the AC to full comfort settings etc. The 'typical' readings completely trash through the floor.

BUT there is a completely different driving mode that I manually adopt when I go on a long trip (not to mention changing the car's mode also to extend the range). In the end, the driving style means everything. And it is funny to see the 'typical' start to get a whole lot more optimistic too as the journey progresses!

It depends whether you have the range estimate set to typical (based upon your actual historical usage - probably something around 200Wh per km) or the theoretical (based upon 181Wh per km). I use the typical as it is more accurate gauge for typical usage.
The trouble with Typical vs Rated is Typical varies too much particularly when we get something like a 2000 foot climb or descend chucked in the middle. I use Rated as it, though far from accurate, gives a more consistent value.

The trouble with Typical vs Rated is Typical varies too much particularly when we get something like a 2000 foot climb or descend chucked in the middle. I use Rated as it, though far from accurate, gives a more consistent value.

I've got into the habit of just using the percentage. I don't use typical or rated because, inevitably, they both end up not being accurate. So much depends on where you're driving, how you're driving, weather, weight, etc. I just keep an eye on the percentage and the trip prediction, and as long as it says I'll get to my destination with more than 0% I'm happy. And the more I drive, the more feel I'm getting for it's range capabilities.

It depends whether you have the range estimate set to typical (based upon your actual historical usage - probably something around 200Wh per km) or the theoretical (based upon 181Wh per km).

Typical range is not based on previous history, it's based on a fixed number just like Rated - it's just that Typical is based on a more realistic number from the US EPA testing ( I figure it to be somewhere around 200Wh/km, like you said)
Rated is based on European NEDC testing and is closer to 160Wh/km

From the manual:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68691&d=1420815667.png

Projected range is based on your previous driving, and can be found on the energy graph only.

Typical range is not based on previous history, it's based on a fixed number just like Rated - it's just that Typical is based on a more realistic number from the US EPA testing ( I figure it to be somewhere around 200Wh/km, like you said)

From the manual:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68691&d=1420815667.png

Projected range is based on your previous driving, and can be found on the energy graph only.

Good to know! I know that typical seems to be realistic whereas Rated just keeps slipping away faster than you use it!

Thanks MDK.

That explains why Bjorn Nyland's videos on YouTube always show around 400km when he range charges (in his P85) for his long distance trips. He is using typical range mode.

For Tesla, selling electric cars to the general public (and not early adopters like most of you on this forum), by displaying Rated range mode, they can crunch the numbers however they like and show a new customer a display which calculates to 502km if charged to 100%. Show a probable sceptic a great number to reduce fears of range anxiety

It is only when the new customer starts driving the car, they discover the difference between rated and typical and with the rollout of the Superchargers over the next two years + for most of the eastern coastline (where most of Aust population lives anyway) the rated range number will blur into obscurity by all the other great things about Tesla vehicles and electric driving