Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Energy Trip Estimate Too Pessimistic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I've recently moved from a 2020 Model 3 to a new 2023 MIC Model Y RWD (UK). In the old car, the trip energy estimate had always been relatively accurate and would be within a few % of estimate vs my driving. However with the new Model Y, I am finding that the energy estimate is consistently off by around 20-25% and seems to be all from the 'Driving' breakdown of the energy usage.
e.g. On my typical 25 mile drive, it would estimate I would use up 35 miles of range but in reality I usually come in at closer to using 25-26 miles so coming in 9-10miles under what it estimated I would get.
This is great that I can get more miles than it estimates but it is a pain for planning long road trips as it is routing charging stops unnecessarily.

I have seen this inaccuracy with pretty much every drive so it seems that there is some offset or calibration that is off in the energy usage calculations... anyone else experience this?

Steven

Hi All,
I've recently moved from a 2020 Model 3 to a new 2023 MIC Model Y RWD (UK). In the old car, the trip energy estimate had always been relatively accurate and would be within a few % of estimate vs my driving. However with the new Model Y, I am finding that the energy estimate is consistently off by around 20-25% and seems to be all from the 'Driving' breakdown of the energy usage.
e.g. On my typical 25 mile drive, it would estimate I would use up 35 miles of range but in reality I usually come in at closer to using 25-26 miles so coming in 9-10miles under what it estimated I would get.
This is great that I can get more miles than it estimates but it is a pain for planning long road trips as it is routing charging stops unnecessarily.

I have seen this inaccuracy with pretty much every drive so it seems that there is some offset or calibration that is off in the energy usage calculations... anyone else experience this?

Steven
Check the wheel and tire configuration under service settings. Specifying the wrong wheel and tire size could account for some of the higher trip consumption estimate.