Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Regenerative Braking is Different Than Hybrid Regen..Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand it. I love the way regen works now and don't want to change if fundamentally, but occasionally I wish I could take my foot off the left button and not go to Max regen. I'd also occasionally like more than 60kw on regen. There has to be an intuitive and ergonomic solution to supplement the existing characteristics and accommodate a wider range of regen options.

You can do that (occasionally lift your foot and not go full regen) by engaging the cruise control and reducing speed by tapping the cruise speed down.

I love single pedal driving and after 2 years of Tesla driving would not change A THING about the accelerate/regen pedal. It's sheer brilliance.

I understand it. I love the way regen works now and don't want to change if fundamentally, but occasionally I wish I could take my foot off the left button and not go to Max regen. I'd also occasionally like more than 60kw on regen. There has to be an intuitive and ergonomic solution to supplement the existing characteristics and accommodate a wider range of regen options.

It's really no less intuitive than not pressing your foot all the way to the floor each time you want to go forward.

I suspect that as Tesla matures they will allow a wider suite of customization... however, as Elon has responded at some press conferences; right now they're focused on making the car work. They have limited manpower and need to fry the big fish first.

I agree that one pedal driving is awesome and I come from driving nothing but manual transmissions in sport sedans for the last 30 years.. but for me personally, I *would* like some quick and easy way to disable regen. My g/f's son has Asperger's Syndrome (he's an adult), and whenever he's in the car, the regen gives him motion sickness pretty badly, so I have to turn regen to "low" whenever he's in the car -- for the entire time he's in the car. But as soon as he's out, I need to go back into the touchscreen menus and turn it back to "normal". It's not just about coasting or using my foot to disable regen here or there or for short spurts, it's for the entire time he's in the car.. and using my foot to do that for hours on end for a long trip gets very tedious very fast... and even on "low" it's not good enough, I'd like to turn off Regen entirely for the duration of these trips. So please don't tell me to use my right foot instead -- lets see anyone of you try to do that over a 500 mile trip **EVERY TIME** the car goes into regen mode, even just to the 30kw level. And going into the touchscreen could require several touches to get to the right place, and it's distracting while driving. So yeah, a mechanical switch or paddle, or even just using the thumb wheel would be better to turn it on or off at will, without using the touchscreen, or having to remember it's already set to "low" when he gets out of the car, and remembering to reset it to "normal".

The bottom line is everyone has their own needs or requirements for regen, and purely "one pedal driving" is NOT the solution for everyone, despite how awesome it is the rest of the time.

It's really no less intuitive than not pressing your foot all the way to the floor each time you want to go forward.

I'm not sure you understood. Most of the time, I want to maximize one pedal driving. On [very rare] occasion, I want to coast with my foot off the pedal completely. Right now I have to use cruise to do so.

I also accept the very valid point made by nwdiver, but that doesn't mean I can't keep a wish list. :cool:

... For me, the goal is to be reasonably energy efficient but not to the point of radically changing the way I drive. For example, I'm not going to coast 1/2 a mile out from a red light, slowing well below the speed limit when I have traffic backed up behind me so I can avoid regen.

It's a personal preference on where to put the regen and, at the end of the day, what Tesla did suits me. The question is whether it suits >50% of the population.

Yes, and that's exactly why I wish the regen was even stronger (perhaps optionally). I can without too much effort plan my stops so that I use the friction brakes only at the very end. But that's doesn't match my preferred style; I prefer to stop much more rapidly. And I hate to waste even a little bit of energy to the friction brakes.

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely prefer the Tesla kind of regen, enabling one foot driving most of the time.

Only improvement I could think of:

In my opinion it gets too soft as the car slows down. It will not take you to a full stop. I think I would like that. I always have to use the friction brakes on the last foot or so.

I agree.

It's very clear from this thread that there are a variety of use cases and individual preferences. But it would seem that most of them could easily be supported with a few simple options implemented in software. I guess some people might be put off by having too many controls but for me that's a small price to pay for the ability to set the car up the way I want it while still allowing the same ability for those with other needs. Software isn't free. But it's pretty cheap :) Come on, Tesla, help us out here!

I'm not sure you understood. Most of the time, I want to maximize one pedal driving. On [very rare] occasion, I want to coast with my foot off the pedal completely. Right now I have to use cruise to do so.

Now I'm not understanding. Cruise never lets you coast. It's always using either power or regen.