Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh mentioned @ Burbank Studio Grand Opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could the fall that was alluded to here be the CPO purge which happened a couple months ago, which would lend credence to the Model S refresh soon. Another event which I think makes it very possible a newer Model S is coming are the new standard wheels. I would imagine they were supposed to be released with the refresh but they ran out of the basic 19's and had to start using the newer design earlier than anticipated. Just a thought, not to mention the new battery size 100D that is all over the internet.

Last edited:
Could the fall that was alluded to here be the CPO purge which happened a couple months ago, which would lend credence to the Model S refresh soon. Another event which I think makes it very possible a newer Model S is coming are the new standard wheels. I would imagine they were supposed to be released with the refresh but they ran out of the basic 19's and had to start using the newer design earlier than anticipated. Just a thought, not to mention the new battery size 100D that is all over the internet.

Yep

Hi all, first post here. I placed my order in December for an 85D and later upgraded to a 90D. My current delivery window is April to Early May. I've been pushing the delivery back since placing my order due to a reliable source telling me I should wait. I then came across this thread and I've been keeping an eye on it since.

Today I noticed something in the CPO inventory that just adds to the writing already on the wall. Los Angeles is flooded with 2016 90D models with less than 100 miles. It seems almost every city has low-mile models as well. My suspicion is that these are current showroom models they are trying to sell. Why would they all of a sudden be trying to sell off all the showroom models a week before the Model 3 reveal?

I can't wait to see the refreshed Model S!

Hi all, first post here. I placed my order in December for an 85D and later upgraded to a 90D. My current delivery window is April to Early May. I've been pushing the delivery back since placing my order due to a reliable source telling me I should wait. I then came across this thread and I've been keeping an eye on it since.

Today I noticed something in the CPO inventory that just adds to the writing already on the wall. Los Angeles is flooded with 2016 90D models with less than 100 miles. It seems almost every city has low-mile models as well. My suspicion is that these are current showroom models they are trying to sell. Why would they all of a sudden be trying to sell off all the showroom models a week before the Model 3 reveal?

I can't wait to see the refreshed Model S!

Welcome to TMC, TheD!

I admit that I am biased because I firmly believe there is no "Model S Refresh" anytime soon (i.e. this year). There might be incremental changes, like the new 19" Slipstream wheels or the integrated console, but overall, no, no refresh is "imminent". People have been saying this for more than a year now, and yet nothing.

The CPO inventory you are now seeing listed are not CPOs, but "Inventory" (new) cars. Due to their low (50) mileage, they are most likely cars pre-built (not to a customer spec) in order to have an inventory of cars people can buy without a production delay. They are not "showroom" cars. If Tesla has a temporary overcapacity situation, it doesn't make sense for them the stop or slow down the production line, so cars will continue to be pumped out and sold "off the lot" like any other car dealer. These cars are being distributed to all the Tesla Sales centers across the country.

Tesla is still a "small" (relative) company. They are focusing on ramping up the Model X. Finalizing the Model 3 and getting that into production. Building out the Gigafactory. Thinking about whatever the Model Y will be (Roadster V2 or a pickup truck??). I think the Model S "Refresh" exists, but it's way way down on their list of priorities. I don't think we'll see what can be called a "Refresh" until slightly before the Model 3 is launched, and that would be to minimize any cannibalization between the two models.

But this won't stop lots of people preaching the Model S Refresh is "just around the corner".

Simple. End of quarter.

Welcome to TMC, TheD!

I admit that I am biased because I firmly believe there is no "Model S Refresh" anytime soon (i.e. this year). There might be incremental changes, like the new 19" Slipstream wheels or the integrated console, but overall, no, no refresh is "imminent". People have been saying this for more than a year now, and yet nothing.

The CPO inventory you are now seeing listed are not CPOs, but "Inventory" (new) cars. Due to their low (50) mileage, they are most likely cars pre-built (not to a customer spec) in order to have an inventory of cars people can buy without a production delay. They are not "showroom" cars. If Tesla has a temporary overcapacity situation, it doesn't make sense for them the stop or slow down the production line, so cars will continue to be pumped out and sold "off the lot" like any other car dealer. These cars are being distributed to all the Tesla Sales centers across the country.

Tesla is still a "small" (relative) company. They are focusing on ramping up the Model X. Finalizing the Model 3 and getting that into production. Building out the Gigafactory. Thinking about whatever the Model Y will be (Roadster V2 or a pickup truck??). I think the Model S "Refresh" exists, but it's way way down on their list of priorities. I don't think we'll see what can be called a "Refresh" until slightly before the Model 3 is launched, and that would be to minimize any cannibalization between the two models.

But this won't stop lots of people preaching the Model S Refresh is "just around the corner".

Is our bet still on? You can get back to me just before tax day...:)

Reactions: gsxdsm
Welcome to TMC, TheD!

I did test configure on the website the other day. It offered me an inventory car, available within 7-14 days, that had similar configuration to the one I had built.

One reason for the new flood of Inventory 90 cars is simple: they no longer make the 85. Therefore they can't show 85's in the showroom. Hence a bunch of new 90's for showrooms. All showroom cars have always been available as inventory, hence the greater inventory. I believe that's whats behind this anomaly. I also think you will see the center console being retrofitted to any showroom cars that didn't have it already.......

One reason for the new flood of Inventory 90 cars is simple: they no longer make the 85. Therefore they can't show 85's in the showroom. Hence a bunch of new 90's for showrooms. All showroom cars have always been available as inventory, hence the greater inventory. I believe that's whats behind this anomaly. I also think you will see the center console being retrofitted to any showroom cars that didn't have it already.......
That makes way to much sense to even be considered... In the realm of Internet rumors. :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight