Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh mentioned @ Burbank Studio Grand Opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it just makes sense to bring consistency between the S and the X from a design, supply chain and production point of view.

The LED headlights and Ventilated seats are a given. Nose cone redesign is on the cards to have a common theme going. Timing may be tricky as they need to get the X ramped up first.

Right, Elon's mention of "no changes to the S for a year" from Oct 2014 - there was even a followup email on that - was an outright fib, in hindsight.

Didn't Elon say no platform changes? I wouldn't put revised battery options into that category.

Don't think this is a big secret. When discussing the retrofit of next gen seats into my classic P85 to replace the awful "sports" seats, it was suggested that I might want wait for the facelift next year due to the cost.

Interesting for sure, but it'll still be the current platform so at most I'd expect cosmetic changes and some modular items. I'm thinking what makes sense is:

- new LED lights
- new front in, tweaked rear maybe
- maybe, new seats with cooling (but don't expect to use actual A/C unless they reroute some vents)
- probably same electronics hardware until next major redesign
- some new wheel options again
- console likely standard, more like the X one (with phone adapters, etc.)
- and addition of any improved sensors if basically fit into same spots and mirror, etc.
- likely a new batter capacity if can change chemistry again, but size to use is same

Mainly looking forward to upgrading here in future either to the next generation of MS, or the X once any issues work themselves out (you know it'll have some), and when batter capacity is more like 150Kwh...

Interesting for sure, but it'll still be the current platform so at most I'd expect cosmetic changes and some modular items. I'm thinking what makes sense is:

- new LED lights
- new front in, tweaked rear maybe
- maybe, new seats with cooling (but don't expect to use actual A/C unless they reroute some vents)
- probably same electronics hardware until next major redesign
- some new wheel options again
- console likely standard, more like the X one (with phone adapters, etc.)
- and addition of any improved sensors if basically fit into same spots and mirror, etc.

These all make sense to me..

I considered these minor mid-product lifecycle refreshes. We're reaching the typical 1/2 way point in most automobile's lifecycle. I can see minor updates and a facelift/nose job happening next year but nothing major until the gigafactory is up and running.

I'm only disappointed that we've only had a 6% increase from 85 to 90 pack in 3 years. I was planning on upgrading next year if the P90DL can actually hit it's 10 second 1/4 mile claim, but it looks unlikely. I might as well just wait till a new refreshed design of the Model S with 110KW pack is unveiled in the 2018-2020 timeframe (total wild guess).

I haven't seen the X in person, but the idea of the panoramic windshield to me just seems overkill.

I want a sunroof that I can open. Love the fresh air when your not on the freeway.

The only place to me that a panoramic windshield makes sense to me is in Yosemite when your looking way up. But unless you drive a lot with a ton of people in the car, nah.

I did the test ride thing in the X - the windshield is pretty cool, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd stick with the pano for the same reason.

design of the Model S with 110KW pack is unveiled in the 2018-2020 timeframe (total wild guess).

See, that's what I used to think... but as the build out of more Supercharger stations continues to progress (especially with Model X and Model 3 adding lots of demand)-- the SC stations will be even closer together providing lots more options for trip routing. So will an 110+kWh power pack really be necessary? Sure, you'll be able to skip a SC or two on longer trips, but then ones you do stop at will take longer to charge a bigger battery (assuming the same charging rates as today). So I think an 85kWh pack has quite a bit of remaining potential as SC density increases.

We should start a refresh announcement date poll....

I'm going with 2/16/2016. No reason other than it will be my younger boy's 10th birthday. Plus Model III is planned for intro in March.

Big items:
1. New nose
2. LED Headlights
3. Ventilated seats - update to the back seats - interior fit/finish
4. New filtration (whatever they call it on the X....DEFCON 5...)

And yes... here is my wildcard....

5. Panoramic roof goes away and we get the new X windshield.

All pure speculation of course, but keep in mind that I frequent the Mothership often when I'm down in San Jose....

That would cause me to upgrade, honestly. It's probably the only thing about the Model X I wish I had in the Model S. What a great driving experience - as a taller person (6'-1") I always find myself hunching over to see traffic signals and the view. Pano windscreen would be top of my list.

That would cause me to upgrade, honestly. It's probably the only thing about the Model X I wish I had in the Model S. What a great driving experience - as a taller person (6'-1") I always find myself hunching over to see traffic signals and the view. Pano windscreen would be top of my list.

Is the curvature of the MS windshield and roofline the same as that of the MX though? If it's not, it's unlikely that Tesla can pull off the change. And, don't know the impact on crashworthiness and testing. Too much to bite off here.

Yeah, completely agree about having to hunch over. I'm 6' 1" as well and find the driver's position a bit claustrophobic too, particularly with the newer seats that don't go as low as they used to in the early cars.

The S has a cross-member at the top of the A-pillars, which I will assume is structural since it defines one side of the box that is the roof. To move that would require re-design of the frame sides, since the attachment points would have to move, crash analysis of the new design, and redesign of the stamping dies for the roof and the sides--don't seem them doing that as those are the same resources that would be working on the body and frame of the Model 3.

Reactions: durk
Tesla just issued a statement that no new S refresh is planned. Most folks working on the III. I would caution in planning purchased based on end-point sales rep comments. These guys/gals are likely speculating with less data than the folks on this forum have.

Tesla Model S Refresh Not Happening

Went to the Black Tie event last night at the Burbank Studio, Service, and Supercharger Center.

Probably the only triple in the USA? To have all services under one roof.

Great location, right next to the worlds largest IKEA, which is under construction.

But what was said was interesting. Next year the Model S will be refreshed. Complete with a new Front end. The nose cone will be replaced with the Model X front end as well as a huge list of other changes. They said that we should see some great pricing on CPO vehicles come fall. I dont know who these people were, providing this information at this event, if corporate or non Tesla employees. And Im sure this is probably old news, and everybody already knew of this.

Back to the Burbank Studio. Congrats to all, you guys have one heck of a center. Great group of employees. This could be the Tesla model of Studios to come.
Providing your one stop Tesla shop.

- - - Updated - - -

The sales people at Tesla are NOT in the loop on plans. None expected the 70d, the P85D, or Luda... I would listen to the just issued public statements.

Maybe, but maybe not. I tend to believe the rumour but that's only becauase I plan to upgrade right after this change.

Only time will tell. Then again, it's like predicting rain. Eventually the prediction is right.

Unless I'm missing something, Tesla didn't make any new statement about there not being a refresh. That is a blog post from 3 weeks ago. Is there something new?

Also that post is talking about a redesign. A redesign and a small refresh are two different things. Tweaks to the nose cone, headlights and ventilated seats wouldn't require the retooling that article mentioned and wouldn't be a full design update. I think those changes are likely coming soon.

The statements were made in October (current month). In my mind, that is as current as you can get.

Sure, you may get incremental improvements (vent seats), but look at a substantial refresh from a pure business point of view. Does the Model S have any real competition right now? You can only really refresh the car one time before a redesign... should it blow that card (and take the immediate expense) now? Or, would it make more sense to do so when the competitive landscape changes at the end 2016 or into 2017?

New Rapide. New Porsche. New Audi's are coming. If they refresh now, they will not answer these changes when the next-gem competitors arrive. Frankly, the S is not the problem for TSLA. Getting the III out on time is. Getting the X up to full-ramp is. These two dynamics will make or break the company.

Of course. the business coversation is all my humble opinion (and I am not as smart as the TSLA leaders....) However, the public statements on no refresh are fact. Could they be misleading us? Perhaps..... they have done that before.

Unless I'm missing something, Tesla didn't make any new statement about there not being a refresh. That is a blog post from 3 weeks ago. Is there something new?

Also that post is talking about a redesign. A redesign and a small refresh are two different things. Tweaks to the nose cone, headlights and ventilated seats wouldn't require the retooling that article mentioned and wouldn't be a full design update. I think those changes are likely coming soon.

I agree -- other than a few minor changes (like the headlights), there is no major "refresh" planned. It just doesn't make sense with the limited resources and other mission critical priorities TM has right now. I think this "Model S refresh" hype is just wishful thinking and speculation from everyone EXCEPT Tesla Motors.

I even doubt they'll do a new nose-cone or ventilated seats within the next year or two. I don't think we'll see a major MS refresh until after the Model 3 is launched.

I agree -- other than a few minor changes (like the headlights), there is no major "refresh" planned. It just doesn't make sense with the limited resources and other mission critical priorities TM has right now. I think this "Model S refresh" hype is just wishful thinking and speculation from everyone EXCEPT Tesla Motors.

I even doubt they'll do a new nose-cone or ventilated seats within the next year or two. I don't think we'll see a major MS refresh until after the Model 3 is launched.

I don't think people are talking about any sort of major redesign. I'm talking about minor tweaks - headlights, ventilated seats, maybe a nose cone update. I think this is the scope the OP and most folks are talking about. I don't think anyone expects any sort of major redesign.

I think we are losing the nuance between redesign and refresh (or we each have our own definition). My idea of refresh is someone else's idea of minor tweaks.

Last edited:
I don't think people are talking about any sort of major redesign. I'm talking about minor tweaks - headlights, ventilated seats, maybe a nose cone update. I think this is the scope the OP and most folks are talking about. I don't think anyone expects any sort of major redesign.

I think we are losing the nuance between redesign and refresh (or we each have our own definition). My idea of refresh is someone else's idea of minor tweaks.

I'm going by the OP:

Next year the Model S will be refreshed. Complete with a new Front end. The nose cone will be replaced with the Model X front end as well as a huge list of other changes.

Those aren't the incremental changes that TM just injects into the production line. If what the OP says is true, that would be worthy of a press conference and unveiling party Elon Musk style. And I think that *is* what a lot of people are speculating to happen "soon." (within a year or less).

I'm going by the OP:

Those aren't the incremental changes that TM just injects into the production line. If what the OP says is true, that would be worthy of a press conference and unveiling party Elon Musk style. And I think that *is* what a lot of people are speculating to happen "soon." (within a year or less).

Interesting. I'm not saying you're wrong but I interpreted it differently. A new front end (if it's just nose cone and maybe bumper) and headlights (along with some other features tweaks like vented seats) would be a minor refresh for me with what I would say are incremental changes.

Those changes don't require any sheetmetal or frame changes.

When I hear retooling and redesign, I see that as major changes to looks with body lines changing and recognizable differences to the general public.

A new nose cone and headlights are a big deal to us that care and follow TM closely, but I promise you the general public would have no idea and I couldn't imagine a press conference to announce a bumper and headlight change. (Assuming same housing).

Then it's not a "refresh" in the automotive industry sense. They're just incremental changes over time. A "refresh" happens when there are a significant number of changes happening at one point in time. So as I said, there might be several changes down the road, but not one combined set of significant changes which I would call a "refresh" where a new buyer could say "I'm going to not buy now and wait for the 'refresh'".