Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh mentioned @ Burbank Studio Grand Opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then it's not a "refresh" in the automotive industry sense. They're just incremental changes over time. A "refresh" happens when there are a significant number of changes happening at one point in time. So as I said, there might be several changes down the road, but not one combined set of significant changes which I would call a "refresh" where a new buyer could say "I'm going to not buy now and wait for the 'refresh'".

You're right. I think I just interpreted differently.

I don't think people are talking about any sort of major redesign. I'm talking about minor tweaks - headlights, ventilated seats, maybe a nose cone update. I think this is the scope the OP and most folks are talking about. I don't think anyone expects any sort of major redesign.

I think we are losing the nuance between redesign and refresh (or we each have our own definition). My idea of refresh is someone else's idea of minor tweaks.

I agree. That and he said this:

"Not happening, according to Khobi Brooklyn, Tesla's communications manager. "We don't have plans for retooling Model S at the moment," Brooklyn told me in an email."

Does anyone expect him to say that plans for retooling are in the works? Of course they are. Retooling plans are always in the works. Whether they come about, or if they are to come about, how close they are to implementation, is another issue. But his words are chosen very carefully so as not to dissuade people from ordering, or having them cancel orders to wait for changes, but to still allow for changes to happen relatively soon. So the article written based solely on the above statement really holds about as much weight as the OP's rumour.

I wouldn't expect next year's refresh to be a "complete" overhaul. Model 3 has to take a higher priority.

Here's what I would expect:

- New nosecone (or lack thereof), adapted from Model X
- More comprehensive Autopilot sensors; specifically long-range rear-facing / omnidirectional radar
- "Biohazard" AC mode, adapted from X
- LED headlights
- Ventilated seats
- Improved front console and storage (pockets, etc)

I doubt they'll try to adapt the Model X windshield; too many people like the sunroof option. Besides, I've already had my Model S windshield replaced twice (once due to a factory defect, once due to a pebble) and I can't imagine the costs if the windshield had been twice as large.

I also doubt they'll boost the battery capacity again so soon. When it eventually does happen, the real value (to me) of a 110kWh pack wouldn't be so much the increased max range, as the reduced time to supercharge to 50% during a roadtrip. Being able to supercharge at 135kW (~420mi/h) from 0% to 50% (170 miles of rated range, for a 110kWh pack) in 24 minutes, would make supercharging stops that much more convenient. For my current Sig P85 (A-pack), charging from empty to 170 miles of range takes about 45 minutes.

I wouldn't expect next year's refresh to be a "complete" overhaul. Model 3 has to take a higher priority.

Here's what I would expect:

- New nosecone (or lack thereof), adapted from Model X
- More comprehensive Autopilot sensors; specifically long-range rear-facing / omnidirectional radar
- "Biohazard" AC mode, adapted from X
- LED headlights
- Ventilated seats
- Improved front console and storage (pockets, etc)

I doubt they'll try to adapt the Model X windshield; too many people like the sunroof option. Besides, I've already had my Model S windshield replaced twice (once due to a factory defect, once due to a pebble) and I can't imagine the costs if the windshield had been twice as large.

I also doubt they'll boost the battery capacity again so soon. When it eventually does happen, the real value (to me) of a 110kWh pack wouldn't be so much the increased max range, as the reduced time to supercharge to 50% during a roadtrip. Being able to supercharge at 135kW (~420mi/h) from 0% to 50% (170 miles of rated range, for a 110kWh pack) in 24 minutes, would make supercharging stops that much more convenient. For my current Sig P85 (A-pack), charging from empty to 170 miles of range takes about 45 minutes.

+ 1 on everything. The biggest benefit of a 110KWh battery pack is that you delay when the tapering happens so you can stop for half an hour and add more range faster. Plus there are still plenty of areas not covered with Superchargers and it will remain the same for the foreseeable future.

Definitely agree on having an actual sunroof. We use ours all the time and would not want to give up having a sunroof we can open.

Oh man, if they put the new nose cone, lights and ventilated seats on Model S I'll replace mine in a heartbeat.

The fake grill on the front of the Model S has always been a vestigial element. Totally unnecessary to have a giant air-hole in the front but people need to because they're used to it. It's like any other fake bit on the car for looks I can do without.

They could do sensors, ventilated seats, and LED lights by just changing the design studio. No need to make a big deal about it. For that matter, I would expect they'll just roll updated sensors out at some point without even changing the design studio-- they'll just start appearing on cars, as did the original autopilot sensors.

Remember when they added parking sensors? They just showed up in the design studio one day.

I think that over the next few years Tesla will continue to tweak the existing S design with things like LED headlights, ventilated seats, additional AP sensors, incremental increases in battery pack capacity, etc., (and we won't know until these things suddenly show up in the Design Studio) but will not do a body redesign until 2018. Until then, the focus has to be on the Model 3 sedan and CUV. The long term success of the company depends on it.

If you have paid Hank for a membership to his CPO site you'd already know that prices are not lower due to anything other than age.
Age of the cars is the single biggest factor in price offered on CPO.

In Canada, some of the best prices went to cars available during the "great P85D trade in rush" in early/mid-2015 which were 2012 and early 2013 model owners who wanted dual motor and auto pilot. The lowest priced cars were the oldest.
Since then, the prices have not dropped, and I've been watching.