Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance vs Audi S7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Seems like the model S wins on all accounts except for price (and the fact that it doesn't burn fuel for those that have that as utmost importance):

2013 Audi S7

2cekupw.png

Personally, I've always seen the A7 and Model S as closest competitors if we're just talking "cars". I have a suspicion that while the A7 has always been bargain-priced compared to the A8, once pricing is out we'll see options creep the S7 towards a performance S's pricepoint.

Would love to take both of these to the track (and strip)

Seems like the model S wins on all accounts except for price (and the fact that it doesn't burn fuel for those that have that as utmost importance):

I'm not sure I share your conclusion... the top speed, all-wheel drive, and some of the safety features included on the Audi (lane drift protection, collision avoidance, etc) would count as winning items in my opinion. And cost of ownership for the Model S brings the cost down on the Model S to bring it into a winning item. My guess is the MSRP for the Audi is without a lot of the options that make it a competitor with the Model S.

The Audi will very likely pull ahead of the Model S by the end of a quarter mile, but the Model S would likely win any real world acceleration test.

The top speed difference is completely meaningless unless you drive on a race track.

2013 Audi S7

View attachment 6103

Personally, I've always seen the A7 and Model S as closest competitors if we're just talking "cars". I have a suspicion that while the A7 has always been bargain-priced compared to the A8, once pricing is out we'll see options creep the S7 towards a performance S's pricepoint.

Would love to take both of these to the track (and strip)

I agree. I've seen several A7's on the road recently and thought the same thing to myself. Panamera should be included in this comparison as well, given it's similar features, purpose, and design (notchback sedan). Not sure you should, but the Aston Martin Rapide is a similarly sized competitor.

Although they all come with one thing that the Model S will never come with...

A Gas Guzzler tax!!:scared:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I share your conclusion... the top speed, all-wheel drive, and some of the safety features included on the Audi (lane drift protection, collision avoidance, etc) would count as winning items in my opinion. And cost of ownership for the Model S brings the cost down on the Model S to bring it into a winning item. My guess is the MSRP for the Audi is without a lot of the options that make it a competitor with the Model S.

True, but those are going to be options bringing the S7's price up I believe (Audi usually does it in bulky packages). Fair point though that they're even offered (Where they aren't even available on the S). Honestly for me though, I've never used most of the stuff (the night vision on the A6 is cool, but pretty useless for example). S7 definitely get's the S on top speed, and that may make a difference in drags longer than a quarter mile.

The superior handling of electric drive with traction control should be considered as well.

Yes and no I guess. For me, never having driven a roadster in the snow, I can't attest to that, nor am I confident it will be as great as Quattro. So I guess I'd give the S7 a win there as well (until I can see how the S performs). If the S does match it in winter performance, I can only imagine with the AWD X (and future S) will be like.

The Audi will very likely pull ahead of the Model S by the end of a quarter mile, but the Model S would likely win any real world acceleration test.

The top speed difference is completely meaningless unless you drive on a race track.

Depends on the track too, some courses you rarely have time to get to top speed. It'll love the drag strip though. I hope my local dealer gets one in this summer so we can take them head to head.

AnOutsider,

I don't normally grade on a series of wins/loses but instead on a weighted scale. When I was moving back to the US from Germany that is how I picked my destination city. I made a series of categories that mattered to me, assigned each a weight and then graded each city on the categories. Multiple everything out and sum it up, then compared the weighted averages.

for example:
  • Handling in ice/snow: weight 1.0, rating 1 - 10 (10 good, 1 bad)
  • 0-60mph time: weight 1.0 scale 1-10 (10 good, 1 bad) possibly use 1/(time) instead and change the weight if you want.
  • Interior: weight 1.0, scale 1-10
  • navigation and user control software: weight 1.0, scale 1-10
  • etc

I agree. I've seen several A7's on the road recently and thought the same thing to myself. Panamera should be included in this comparison as well, given it's similar features, purpose, and design (notchback sedan). Not sure you should, but the Aston Martin Rapide is a similarly sized competitor.

I'd have to add the Jaguar XF, which I've seen very few people mention. That's surprising, as I think it's almost a Model S clone (or vice versa): http://www.jaguarusa.com/models/xf/gallery/

Although they all come with one thing that the Model S will never come with...

A Gas Guzzler tax!!:scared:

I don't think the S7, at 24.5MPG, would be hit with a gas guzzler tax (which I believe uses 22.5 as its threshold).

I think the low center of gravity and minimal body roll gives a nod to the Model S over similar vehicles. The S would win for overall space as well. The others have been doing luxury interiors a lot longer so they would probably win there unless you love the spartan interior of the S.

I just want the Gen lll (Bluestar) to be the A5. Everytime I see that car I want it as a Tesla.

Sounds good to me too. I'd like the aerodynamics of the Tesla design to continue to the Bluestar. A Model S, smaller and slightly more sedan-y would work for me. Or just a smaller Model S would work too...

And back to the thread...the BMW 550i is also be a good comparison to the Model S.

for example:
  • Handling in ice/snow: weight 1.0, rating 1 - 10 (10 good, 1 bad)
  • 0-60mph time: weight 1.0 scale 1-10 (10 good, 1 bad) possibly use 1/(time) instead and change the weight if you want.
  • Interior: weight 1.0, scale 1-10
  • navigation and user control software: weight 1.0, scale 1-10
  • etc

Fair point, but not much of a weighted average if everything has a weight of 1.0 ;)