Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Blog Model S Owner Surprised with Hardware 3 Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is reportedly retrofitting vehicles with its next-generation Hardware 3 computer that the company says will make autonomous driving possible.

Tesla owner Sofiaan Fraval shared on Twitter that his 2018 Model S P100D went into the the Tesla service center to replace a HEPA filter and came out with a new, more powerful computer.

“Performed the retrofit for the Full-Self Driving computer. Test drove and verified operation,” Tesla wrote in the service report. 

Fraval’s Model S was previously equipped with Hardware 2.5 and MCU v2. His car build date is April 2018.

Fraval noted that the retrofits are only available for Model S and Model X vehicles for now and owners are not yet able to request the swap.

All new Tesla vehicles come equipped with the new hardware, which includes a Samsung-built chip that has 21-times the performance of the previous Tesla hardware powered by Nvidia.

Tesla has emphasized that the chip is purpose-built for enabling vehicle autonomy.

Anyone else received a retrofit?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: R1Bill
I think it is just a (in my view misplaced and unnecessary) desire to help the TSLA stock while our concern is merely with our Tesla customer experience — and the Tesla customer experience of others in general.

Different perspectives lead to different messaging.
I think it is just a (in my view misplaced and unnecessary) desire to hurt the TSLA stock while our concern is merely with the ability of humanity to survive.

As I said, OT. Take it to a different thread.

I think it is just a (in my view misplaced and unnecessary) desire to hurt the TSLA stock while our concern is merely with the ability of humanity to survive.

As I said, OT. Take it to a different thread.

Keeping Tesla true to their word is not the same as a desire to hurt their stock. Making things right is simply right. Ethically.

• Love
Reactions: Ptheven and am_dmd
Since this upgrade was done I assumed they were starting the upgrades. I tried to get the Service Center to upgrade mine (second time, I tried a month ago too) and setup a appointment via the app. Appointment was for Thursday 9/26. Just received the following from the service manager: "We have not started performing the FSD hardware retrofits fleet wide but will likely do so in the coming months. When the kit for your vehicle is shipped to your local service center, you will receive an app notification to schedule a visit for installation. It unfortunately will not be a mobile qualified installation.". Since my Model S is an early AP2 car, built late Dec 2016, it probably is more than just the computer swap as others have surmised here and this text from the SC seems to indicate that as well. It's a "Kit", not just a new FSD computer.

Here's what I'm having done on Monday to my Dec 2016 Model X P100DL+..... Guess #4 says I need to be edumacated... sucks because I live 150 miles away from the nearest service center and I'd love to get this taken care of without another few days carved out of my time...

Concern: Customer states: Looking for update on when you will have parts ready from your last visit?/Vehicle still has
vibration
Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And
Both Front Halfshafts (Model X)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D) 1.0
HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D) 1.0
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00-
H) 1.0

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty 0.00

Concern: Customer states: The vehicle still will not go into park with control stick
Replace SCCM
Correction: Module - Steering Column Control (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
MC2 SCCM, ACC, HEATED VARIANT(1057356-00-B) 1.0

Concern: Customer states: the volume keeps going down to 0 due to the touch screen issue
Perform diagnostics - proactively ordered MCU in the event its needed.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Media Control Unit - Touch Screen (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
MCU,MDLX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN(1098010-00-F) 1.0

Concern: Customer states: also looking for updated HW3 since we have FSD.
Parts are not available at this time. Client will be notified once they are.
Correction: Diverted - Customer Education Price
Adjustment
Subtotal

Pay Type: Customer Pay 0.00

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks... that's where I get really confused, I have a 2016 MX P100DL+ with FSD, manufactured December 2016... I don't know if I have HW2.0 or 2.5... I guess my MCU is 1.0... and will be after I take my vehicle in today for service... we will see. I just don't know what I'm restricted to with my current HW and MCU... so even with HW3 and MCU2 my cameras wouldn't be able to record sentry? I know they couldn't just a few weeks ago... learned that the hard way after formatting the usb drive correctly and going crazy... then having issues where Tesla said I had to remove the USB to correct some problems. Wonder if I could give it another shot, but I'll try after this service appointment.

Thanks... that's where I get really confused, I have a 2016 MX P100DL+ with FSD, manufactured December 2016... I don't know if I have HW2.0 or 2.5... I guess my MCU is 1.0... and will be after I take my vehicle in today for service... we will see. I just don't know what I'm restricted to with my current HW and MCU... so even with HW3 and MCU2 my cameras wouldn't be able to record sentry? I know they couldn't just a few weeks ago... learned that the hard way after formatting the usb drive correctly and going crazy... then having issues where Tesla said I had to remove the USB to correct some problems. Wonder if I could give it another shot, but I'll try after this service appointment.

You have HW2.0 and MCU 1 based on a December 2016 build date.

• Informative
Recording videos of Sentry mode is HW2.5+ and is due to camera limitations not the HW2.0 to 2.5 difference.

Couldn't care less about the colors of the video, if it catches the idiot that scratches my car.
Full color or black and white with red, same *sugar* as long as it's identifying what you need.
Just give mcu1 full sentry mode, is my opinion...

Couldn't care less about the colors of the video, if it catches the idiot that scratches my car.
Full color or black and white with red, same *sugar* as long as it's identifying what you need.
Just give mcu1 full sentry mode, is my opinion...

Hopefully you have Tweeted this to @elonmusk, repeatedly LOL, as I did when I had a HW2.0 MCU1 S100D. I decided it was easier to just upgrade to a HW3 MCU2 P100D+L Raven when Tesla threw a bone out to us previous owners....JustKidding...but I did upgrade.

Why all the fuss about getting the v. 3 hardware? As of today, my understanding it does not provide any more functionality at all.

I get people are pissed for paying for FSD, and not getting autonomy. I get there will be a hardware improvement to make autonomous work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this upgrade does not help with any software today, right? Nothing I've heard (or seen with EAP/NoA etc.) indicates Tesla is within months of full FSD. Parking lots are still challenging.

Who knows, maybe HW 3.5 or 4 will actually be necessary for real FSD.

Why all the fuss about getting the v. 3 hardware? As of today, my understanding it does not provide any more functionality at all.

I get people are pissed for paying for FSD, and not getting autonomy. I get there will be a hardware improvement to make autonomous work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this upgrade does not help with any software today, right? Nothing I've heard (or seen with EAP/NoA etc.) indicates Tesla is within months of full FSD. Parking lots are still challenging.

Who knows, maybe HW 3.5 or 4 will actually be necessary for real FSD.

I figure if they are late enough with meaningful FSD software, then maybe I'll get HW3.5 or 4! Silver lining ;)

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Why all the fuss about getting the v. 3 hardware? As of today, my understanding it does not provide any more functionality at all

It is the first tangible thing for the FSD package that Tesla is delivering on over 3 years from first selling the package. Folks are a bit impatient waiting for something, (anything) to be delivered over that three year period.

Tesla is reportedly retrofitting vehicles with its next-generation Hardware 3 computer that the company says will make autonomous driving possible. Tesla owner Sofiaan Fraval shared on Twitter that his 2018 Model S P100D went into the the Tesla service center to replace a HEPA filter and came out with a new, more powerful computer. Note that...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/09/13/model-s-owner-surprised-with-hardware-3-retrofit/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Does anyone know if this upgrade would be available for AP1?, I have a 2015 S70D. thanks

• Funny
I purchased my ‘16 Model X with FSD because I was told my X (HW2) had everything it needed for FSD. I researched exhaustively and confirmed with Tesla that my purchase WILL get FSD. I fulfilled my end of the bargain and obviously have the proof via Tesla website, Elon on twitter and Podcasts where Elon said specifically HW2 will get FSD. Now I don’t care what gets upgraded as long as the car does FSD safely. I wasn’t promised a new mcu, video games, Netflix etc. I was promised FSD. If this doesn’t happen, being made whole is not a coupon for free FSD with your next purchase. I purchased my X with FSD and plan on driving it a long long time, hence my exhaustive research making sure it had “everything” I needed. To be made whole would be to swap my vehicle option for option for one that does FSD if they can’t make HW2 work. I’m not taking a bath in depreciation holding a FSD coupon. I love my X and am leaving emotion out of this until Elon tells me otherwise:).

Last edited: